Gibson Brands Forums

New owner/member

hrcnsfan

Hello all. Been reading for a couple days and found today that I can post so thought I'd share. A buddy of mine gave me a really nasty/dirty Epiphone SG that he's had for several years with the intention of learning to play. Needless to say that didn't happen. I took it off his hands and thought I'd put a little effort into it and see if my son wanted to give it a go. I cleaned it up, polished the chrome, cleaned up the sticky pots, put on a set of strings and did a setup...and I gotta tell ya'...I am really surprised at how much I like this guitar. I've been a strat guy for most of the past several years (I've been playing for about 35). From a serial number search I found that it's a 1991 G400 made in Korea. I think I may still upgrade the electronics but as it is, it's a far better feeling, playing, and sounding guitar than I ever expected. I think it may be a keeper.

(The nut on one of the pots crumbled to pieces when I was putting it all back together so need to go visit Darren Riley in Raleigh for some replacements)

B4A848A1-061E-4DA7-A138-F3028480D06D_zpsyklejfux.jpg

Well, here's an update. I bought new pots and orange drop caps and rewired it. I also just snagged a set of Rio Grande Texas/BBQ humbuckers from craigslist for $100 and put them in. It really sounds fantastic now!

Does anyone have any knowledge of an approximate value of a 1991 G-400? I cannot find anything so far. Recent sales on eBay are for more recent models...with trapezoid inlay and the pineapple (or whatever you call it) inlay on the headstock. Still not sure I'll be able to convince myself to sell it any time soon. My total investment is $140 and about an hours worth of time. [thumbup]

98721965-762D-4063-89A7-A1F192015A6D_zpskstlnter.jpg

Very nice! Great job!

What's it worth? Probably not a whole lot more than you've put in to it.

Epis just don't have a real high re-sale value. But they have a lot of value to us!

Enjoy getting the most out of it! [thumbup]

Put a pair of humbuckers on it and you'll have an almost Gibson.

When I first got into electric guitar playing, the SG was Gibson's "Les Paul" model. I guess I'm dating myself here.

Well, I'm right there with you, Jeffery! The first electric guitar I ever played, was a borrowed '62 SG (Les Paul)

Junior! That was in 1963! [scared][tongue] It was a simple and Great guitar, too! Played like "buttah!" [thumbup]

CB

Epiphones of the past cupla decades have come from various factories with somewhat different specs depending on models, but as far as I can tell they can easily be adjusted into excellent playability - and for them as care to do so, they can be modded.

Seriously, I've only dumped one guitar I've owned (two if you go back 40 years) due to what I considered problems with pups. It was NOT an Epi. Even the one I dumped around 1970 was one of those plexiglass guitars that I blamed a sound I didn't care for on the fact it was plexiglass.

m

Archived