Gibson Brands Forums

ES-175 tail piece?

codyyy

I found this tailpiece in a box if older parts. I'm trying to figure out exactly what it goes to and if it is authentic or aftermarket. It looks to be from an ES-175. Looks like it is chrome-plated brass. Here are some pictures of it. Thanks.

005_zps72d92cec.jpg

004_zps8cca711f.jpg

003_zpsd1f516b5.jpg

002_zps9153f76d.jpg

001_zpsdf2670a3.jpg

Looks like it has some age to it; looks more like nickel plating than chrome. There may be a more recent chrome-plated variation of these (somebody here will know), but this one looks vintage to me. These were used on 175's from 1958 to the early 70's, so chances are good that yours is from the 60's.

Ok thanks. I can't tell too much between the difference in chrome or nickel plating. I'd like to find out what era it came from, I don't have the guitar this goes to so it is difficult to tell. eBay has a few but they look a lot more worn and are quite expensive. They also seem to be making reproductions of these.

Good topic and great conversation. Yours, (from the pics) looks like chrome finish to me.

The "rule of thumb" with vintage Gibsons, is, they transitioned from nickel to chrome in '65. It has been my experience that nickel will tarnish to a duller look than chrome,

Also polished nickel will cast a yellow/gold shine vs chrome being more steely/blue shine.... in a light.

I am not up on the casting marks on your tailpiece...Newer 'replacements' can have some crude finish on the backside.

I would compare it very carefully with the 'big dogs' on Ebay offerings.

It DOES look fairly old...just dunno [confused]

Ok thanks. This bridge I know has been sitting around for quite a few years, however I can't verify just how long. It has only one dimple in it, which I have been noticing most have two dimples or none at all. However I'm more informed on this piece so I can probably figure out better what to do with it. Thanks again.

Hey codyyy !

Here is a link of comparison photos......http://blog.philadelphialuthiertools.com/2013/06/17/differences-between-nickel-and-chrome-plating-for-guitar-hardware/

try a comparison with your tailpiece with a known newer chrome part!

Archived