Gibson Brands Forums

Bigsby B7 for my ES-345

powerwagonjohn

A guy on craigslist has a gold Bigsby B7 for sale that he took off his Les Paul. It is a USA Bigsby but is marked LP on the bottom. Is there a difference in a B7 for a Les Paul and a B7 for a ES-345? I looked on the Bigsby website and there is no mention of different B7's. I have never had a guitar with a Bigsby and would really like to try one out. I guess if it doesn't fit my ES-345 I could always put it on my Les Paul. Maybe I would play the Les Paul more often, though it would be even heaver with the Bigsby! I understand they can be a pain but I was never one to take the easy route.

Thanks John

I don’t know about why a B7 would be specifically marked for a Les Paul, but every B7 equipped Les Paul on Google images had the same Bigsby that I have on my ES355. I think it's a fairly safe bet.

Second time today I find myself defending Bigsbys on here, but they really needn't be a pain! If you have tuning issues, check the rollers work smoothly, make sure your nut is cut properly and that the strings aren't binding in the saddles. They do work better with heavier string guages - bear in mind these were designed in the days of hefty string sets with wound thirds, and the fact they don't return to pitch well with a set of 9s isn't really a fault in the design. I find 10-52s work perfectly but standard 10s should be ok if the guitar is propetly set up. If your strings do bind a little on the saddles you can get Graphtech replacements that are self lubricating and don't (to my ears at least) change the tone much compared to roller bridges. The guitars I have with Bigsbys don't go out of tune any more than a Strat or Jazzmaster / Jaguar units. Last thing, the earth on a stop bar ES3*5 goes to the stop bar, so if you go down the B7 route you need to earth the guitar another way. Factory Bigsbys are earthed to the endplate of the Bigsby.

If you're unsure, might be worth investing in a Vibramate - that way you can road test it for a few months before permanently mounting the unit. There's also the Towner bar / B3 combination that I like the look of a lot, a very elegant solution to temporarily mounting a Bigsby. If you go down the Vibramate route you ca always put it back on Ebay if you decide to properly install the Bigsby. Both Vibramate and Towner save changing the earth point as well.

Jayyl, thanks for your response, it is much appreciated. I went on Charlie's 335 website and he shows a vintage correct Bigsby B7 and it also has the LP marking on the base so the marking probably has nothing to do with a Les Paul. I am not to worried about the guitar staying in tune as I do my own set ups and know how clean up and lubricate the bridge and nut. I also am used to heaver strings as I usually use .011 or .012 ga. strings. My ES-345 came with .010 and that is what's on it now but I wouldn't worry about changing to .011 at least.

Thanks John

Well I went and bought the gold Bigsby B7 and got it for $90.00. It's in like new condition but now I find the correct Vibrammate V7-335 G 8.5 is back ordered since Sept. It seems nobody has one available. O well so it goes, I guess I will have to wait. I would think these are one of the more popular kits they sell.

Thanks John

Well I went and bought the gold Bigsby B7 and got it for $90.00. It's in like new condition but now I find the correct Vibrammate V7-335 G 8.5 is back ordered since Sept. It seems nobody has one available. O well so it goes, I guess I will have to wait. I would think these are one of the more popular kits they sell.

Thanks John

I just did a quick look and gretschstore.com sells the gold 8.5 335 V7 Vibramate. The website doesn't mention anything about them being out of stock, but they're pricey.

Archived