Gibson Brands Forums

Question about Les Paul Custom HSC

Gibbyex

Hi everyone!

I'm a beginning LP Player and I've discovered a LP Custom from 1980 in a guitar shop. The condition is good. SN is 81710508. Only the fact that the strings have to be tuned again after a hard bending (but I would put schaller locking tuners on it afterwards). I've only discovered a few questions about it.

The position of the volume controlers. In my opinion the left one

should be placed more below. Is this also normal?

The both ends of the headstock front aren't exactly 100% symmetrical. Is that normal?

I want to thank you for your help! This guitar would be a nice christmas present if it's ok! If I don't do the next step the guitar maybe will be sold to someone else. So it's a little bit urgent to me^^.

PS: I've uploaded a few more pics

Thank you so much!

post-65140-060753900 1417784165_thumb.jpg

post-65140-029509400 1417784175_thumb.jpg

post-65140-065185300 1417784193_thumb.jpg

post-65140-023524600 1417784209_thumb.jpg

post-65140-014785300 1417784224_thumb.jpg

Hello!

The serial number is telling the same story the picture does.

It`s a Norlin-era (1980) Les Paul Custom with Fretless Wonder fingerboard. Nothing I can see, that makes me suspicious.

But, please post more pictures - just to be perfectly sure. Especially of headstock - front and back.

Best wishes... Bence

Hi Bence. Thank you so much for your help! I've uploaded a few more pics. Could you look over again? btw, is it normal that the Norlin Era customs have a volute between headstock and neck?

A thousand thanks!

Hello!

The serial number is telling the same story the picture does.

It`s a Norlin-era (1980) Les Paul Custom with Fretless Wonder fingerboard. Nothing I can see, that makes me suspicious.

But, please post more pictures - just to be perfectly sure. Especially of headstock - front and back.

Best wishes... Bence

Hello!

Yes, Norlin-era Gibsons have volutes since 1969, up until 1981, as seen on my 1978 Recording:

HPIM3276_zpsbffc709c.jpg

Also, the three-piece mahogany neck is period-correct.

The guitar looks OK, and in very nice shape!

Best wishes... Bence

Hello again!

Things to look for on such guitars are:

- any signs of repair around the volute.

- "2" stamp on the back of the headstock.

Being a vintage guitar it requires special care. If You need hints about it, post Your questions in the "Vintage" section. [thumbup]

It's better to post pictures via Photobucket, since attachment space is quite limited.

Cheers... Bence

Hi, thanks a lot. But what exactly do you mean with the "2" stamp? Does this guitar has one?

Hello again!

Things to look for on such guitars are:

- any signs of repair around the volute.

- "2" stamp on the back of the headstock.

Being a vintage guitar it requires special care. If You need hints about it, post Your questions in the "Vintage" section. [thumbup]

It's better to post pictures via Photobucket, since attachment space is quite limited.

Cheers... Bence

Hello!

The mark "2" or "SECOND" means it's a factory second instrument, with slight imperfections. Those were usually bought by Gibson employees - I guess cheaper than they would have been sold on the market.

On Your photos, I can't see such mark. I was just wondering, the treble side machine heads have been - obviously - installed with less care, as one would expect... Anyways, inspect the headstock, around the serial number. Even, if there is such a marking, don't pass it just because of it. Despite of being a "SECOND" an instrument can be an excellent player still.

Bence

Ok thank you again! ^^ I will pay attention to it. Got another question. What do you think about the symmetric thing? In my eyes the both ends of the headstock front aren't exactly symmetric, maybe 90%. the right side seems a little little bit longer. Do you think this is a problem?

More importantly, that's what You shouldn't see on the guitar:

100_5685.jpg

That's an ugly job, but some might be very tricky, hard to discover.

Bence

Hm...

I believe I can see on the front view what You are talking about, but I can`t see it on the back view. It might be a distortion of the snaps, no? Did You notice that after taking the snaps, or when You had it in Your hands?

I personally, have no doubts about the authencity of the instrument. But many will tell You that Norlins are the worst Gibsons ever made (I don't believe so), so such imperfections are not surprising on them (according to Norlin-haters).

Also, check the selling prices for such instruments in Your area. If it's reasonably priced, rather focus on sound quality, and playability of the guitar.

Cheers... Bence

Yeah I guess so too. The Gibsons made in that era have got a little imperfection. The price of that guitar would be 1800euros. Is that a fair price?

Hm...

I believe I can see on the front view what You are talking about, but I can`t see it on the back view. It might be a distortion of the snaps, no? Did You notice that after taking the snaps, or when You had it in Your hands?

I personally, have no doubts about the authencity of the instrument. But many will tell You that Norlins are the worst Gibsons ever made (I don't believe so), so such imperfections are not surprising on them (according to Norlin-haters).

Also, check the selling prices for such instruments in Your area. If it's reasonably priced, rather focus on sound quality, and playability of the guitar.

Cheers... Bence

nice LPC!!!

Looks fine from the pictures.... I have a 1980 LPC and the one you're looking at looks very nice. One more thing, the necks are 3 piece maple which makes them pretty stable.... Only thing i dont like about my 80 LPC is the low flat frets.... So I had the guitar re-fretted to what Gibson is using on today's les Pauls

• 1 month later...

Archived