Gibson Brands Forums

Replacing SG Special Bridge Pickup....

harveyy1

Hey everyone!

This is my first post on here..

I've had my Gibson SG Special for a few years now and i love it, i use it for pretty much everything BUT recently the bridge pickup has been faulty... Which got me thinking.. I'm not a huge fan of how bright and sharp the specials bridge pickup is anyway and don't use it as much as should because of this.

So..

Does anyone have any experience putting different pickups in an SG Special and if so what would you recommend? I've done a bit of research already but cant seem to find that much information out there..

Any help would be massively appreciated!

Cheers guys,

harveyy1

I believe Gibson put a 498t in the bridge on the special. I have an extra hot 498t from the 90's (almost 14k) in my LP and love it, but never really cared for the 498 in an SG I used to own (hence the "used to own"). Whenever I'm making a pickup choice I usually head on on over to Seymour Duncan's website - they make a pickup model for just about anyone and they are relatively inexpensive for such great pickups. If you want something vintage sounding SD makes the '59 model or pearly gates which are both very popular choices for SGs or you could try something a little more high output such as a JB model. You should look around and decide for yourself just be careful, too much treble out of a bridge pickup in an SG sounds pretty bad.

Archived