Gibson Brands Forums

SGJ Owner's Club

GibsonKramer

OK, OK (j/k on best you can buy)... I'd take my LP, or my Kramer over it... but, I'd pick it over my acoustic! Oh and it really does take up a good portion of my playing time. Love the wide, yet thin neck. Plays like a dream. And roars like a lion, when you let her loose. Though, I might look for 'pup upgrade to 1) chrome it out and 2) get more bite when overdriven.

But, here's my contribution to the forum, starting (I looked, didn't see one) the SGJ Owners Club, a truly great guitar. I highly recommend, if you're on the fence... grab one, while you still can.

New pics from tonight.

Photo bomb!!!

(everyone loves pics)

61SGJ04_zps9ecff93e.jpg

61SGJ05_zps3af7ba38.jpg

61SGJ06_zps17161c56.jpg

61SGJ07_zps9f60b100.jpg

61SGJ08_zpsb80b2de0.jpg

61SGJ09_zpsccc232b0.jpg

61SGJ10_zps7c8f4644.jpg

61SGJ12_zps63cfb83c.jpg

61SGJ13_zpsa24e0633.jpg

Oops... forgot side-by-side, from night it came home, to today (about 3 weeks, I think)

Original_Final_zps11ba8edb.jpg

I really like the mods you've done to yours.

It looks awesome!

My 2014 is totally stock right now, but I'm thinking of replacing the truss rod cover, pulling the circuit board and going with point-to-point wiring, then installing a set of top hat knobs like the ones you have there.

post-67490-004555200 1418253875_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

Better looking guitar now. Why did you put those heavy tuners?

Haha... well, not that you can really notice, when they're on the guitar... but I do acknowledge the Grovers weigh more than the Gibson Deluxe.

I was really not digging the look of the Chrome tulips, and I really wanted them for my LP. So, instead of putting the ugly black plastic ones back on, I went with Pearloid.

Loving the look now.

C'mon! I know there's more SGJ's out there.

20150304_204545_RichtoneHDR_zps6u0syovh.jpg

20150304_204838_RichtoneHDR_zpsyfaukvuz.jpg

20150304_204915_RichtoneHDR_zpsedr6y0w1.jpg

20150304_205012_RichtoneHDR_zpsdcxbbl0m.jpg

OK, OK (j/k on best you can buy)... I'd take my LP, or my Kramer over it... but, I'd pick it over my acoustic! Oh and it really does take up a good portion of my playing time. Love the wide, yet thin neck. Plays like a dream. And roars like a lion, when you let her loose. Though, I might look for 'pup upgrade to 1) chrome it out and 2) get more bite when overdriven.

But, here's my contribution to the forum, starting (I looked, didn't see one) the SGJ Owners Club, a truly great guitar. I highly recommend, if you're on the fence... grab one, while you still can.

New pics from tonight.

Photo bomb!!!

(everyone loves pics)

61SGJ04_zps9ecff93e.jpg

61SGJ05_zps3af7ba38.jpg

61SGJ06_zps17161c56.jpg

61SGJ07_zps9f60b100.jpg

61SGJ08_zpsb80b2de0.jpg

61SGJ09_zpsccc232b0.jpg

61SGJ10_zps7c8f4644.jpg

61SGJ12_zps63cfb83c.jpg

61SGJ13_zpsa24e0633.jpg

Oops... forgot side-by-side, from night it came home, to today (about 3 weeks, I think)

[/quote

Where did u get the pickguard? i ordered one from all parts for a Gibson 61 reissue and it does not fit my 2013 SGJ. I noticed the pickups sit closer together than on my 06 Standard.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice !

SGJ is a nice guitar to play !

New pics from tonight.

Photo bomb!!!

(everyone loves pics)

61SGJ04_zps9ecff93e.jpg

61SGJ05_zps3af7ba38.jpg

61SGJ06_zps17161c56.jpg

61SGJ07_zps9f60b100.jpg

61SGJ08_zpsb80b2de0.jpg

61SGJ09_zpsccc232b0.jpg

61SGJ10_zps7c8f4644.jpg

61SGJ12_zps63cfb83c.jpg

61SGJ13_zpsa24e0633.jpg

My second Gibson was a 2013 SGJ. To be honest, the low price had a lot to do with the decision, but with a few swaps and mods, it's a VERY nice guitar!

The pickups sounded ... okay ... but immediately changed out to MHD 86/87s, which improve things way past "okay." I found some Montreux rosewood (yeah, real wood) rings, Montreux aged reflectors and solid brass switch tip. Then I picked up a Bigsby B5 + V5 Vibramate for non-destructive mounting. The tuners were swapped with my Studio ... both work fine, just aesthetic. Electronics are stock except some "tropical fish" caps I had in my box. Oh, yeah, the pickguard is also Montreux aged, and required a little shaving to fit. Almost all the pieces were auction or sale items, so really didn't spend much to make a very nice (but slightly raucous!) RnR guitar. [thumbup]

It really is hard to beat the SGJ for bang for the buck and MIA!!

8644314465_89ba5c0528_b.jpg

8577107418_4d9fc7cbed_b.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

post-71768-090066900 1430200804_thumb.jpg

Since you guys are talking about pickups...

This is my 67' which has been recently restored, including having the pickups rewound at Seymour-Duncan. They had no output and sounded very thin. They're much better now, however they are somewhat "microphonic" and tend to squeal loudly with any significant level of overdrive and/or volume. I don't blame S-D, as I asked for them to be wound to original specs and I think I got exactly what I asked for. I wanted to have something as close to original as possible, but if ya'll were going to put some higher performance pickups in there, what would your choice be? Thanks,

Patrick

post-71768-090066900 1430200804_thumb.jpg

Since you guys are talking about pickups...

This is my 67' which has been recently restored, including having the pickups rewound at Seymour-Duncan. They had no output and sounded very thin. They're much better now, however they are somewhat "microphonic" and tend to squeal loudly with any significant level of overdrive and/or volume. I don't blame S-D, as I asked for them to be wound to original specs and I think I got exactly what I asked for. I wanted to have something as close to original as possible, but if ya'll were going to put some higher performance pickups in there, what would your choice be? Thanks,

Patrick

I am guessing that in '67 the pups were not potted? Could you not get them potted to help with the microphony?

I am guessing that in '67 the pups were not potted? Could you not get them potted to help with the microphony?

No, they're not wax-potted. I wanted to have the original pickups as they were originally produced, as much as possible, to preserve the vintage aspect of the guitar. But, I think I'd like to switch them out with something that performs better and just keep the original pickups on the shelf... Thanks,

Patrick

Archived