Gibson Brands Forums

Best tuning pegs for LP Classic

Waynel

Time to replace the tuning pegs on my 1961 LP Classic re-issue. Looking for locking pegs if possible. Yes, I can use a drill (I'm a carpenter) but would rather find some that will just drop right in. Any suggestions? BTW, just an aside. I've owned various LP's for over 20 years. It's always been the G string that seems to go out of tune with the pegs that came with LP's. Has anyone else had this happen? Please don't forget your replacement suggestions and price is no problem (as I went off topic). Thanks. I gig with my LP, Tele and Strat but LP is always my main guitar.

It's probably not the tuning pegs, it's more something to do with the physics of guitars, many guitars have trouble with the G string. Lube is important but I pull many of my G's sharp using a heavy grip. I try fretting lighter or sometimes de-tuning the G just a hair. I notice the problem more when playing Cowboy chords.

I may be wrong but I think most people have the wrong idea about what locking tuners are...

I have them on my 2008 Standard... What a locking tuner does is lock the string into the peg so you don't need to wind it much to get it in tune.. They don't lock the tuning in place... I think you may be thinking about locking nuts that do hold the strings down (which you may use if you are a constant whammy bar user to stop it constantly going out of tune).

Locking tuners are useful only for the speed and ease of changing a string.. They still go out of tune.

As others have said its more likely to be the nut than anything.

I may be wrong but I think most people have the wrong idea about what locking tuners are...

I have them on my 2008 Standard... What a locking tuner does is lock the string into the peg so you don't need to wind it much to get it in tune.. They don't lock the tuning in place... I think you may be thinking about locking nuts that do hold the strings down (which you may use if you are a constant whammy bar user to stop it constantly going out of tune).

Locking tuners are useful only for the speed and ease of changing a string.. They still go out of tune.

As others have said its more likely to be the nut than anything.

Yeppers

Locking tuners are no better than regular tuners.... Making sure the nut isn't binding, the bridge saddles are slotted correctly, and how the strings are installed on the tuner post are keys to tuning stability.

Yeppers

Locking tuners are no better than regular tuners.... Making sure the nut isn't binding, the bridge saddles are slotted correctly, and how the strings are installed on the tuner post are keys to tuning stability.

The way to get better tuning out of locking tuners is to make sure there is very little string wound on the post. By very little I mean less than one full turn.

However I think you guys are right. This sounds like a nut issue to me and not something a new tuner would fix.

It's probably not the tuning pegs, it's more something to do with the physics of guitars, many guitars have trouble with the G string.

Yeah I wonder about that too... I think it may have something to do with the angled headstock... The G is furthest away as obviously is the D BUT the D and lower strings are significantly thicker.... So I think the string tension on the G is slightly higher than the top E say which is much nearer the break angle.

Or something like that anyway :)

Happens on all my Gibbies too.. But lubing the nut wont harm the issue.

southernboogie,

my email is kahrcw9@gmail.com

to take this off the forum, I am very interested to learn how you got the tiny nuts off the stock bridge saddles to replace with string saver saddles?

they must be lock tighted on or something, heat gun?

anyway, I would appreciate if you would email me

I don't understand what you're trying to say, really. I find metal keystones more comfortable than kidney beans or the plastic deluxe types. They fit my hands better. The Gotoh tuners have a finer ratio than Grovers, which I like, and they're very stable. Mated with a properly filed nut, they work as well as or better than any of the myriad of tuners we have on the 20-odd guitars in the house, including Grover Rotomatic and Kluson Deluxe examples. They also have the benefit of being dirt cheap.

If this is a 'vintage looks and tooohnnn' thing... the Grover rotomatics and Nashville bridge on my ES-125TDC show how much regard I pay that!

I had a 2001 Classic that the tuners slipped when a lot of bending was going on. I switched them out to Grovers that were retrofit as far as the screws in the back were concerned but the holes needed to be reamed a bit as the 2001 classic had press in grommets and the Grovers were screw in and a tad bit bigger. They never slipped again with the grovers.

Archived