Gibson Brands Forums

Truss rod adjustment and intonation problems

Hi everyone,

After having put new strings (Martin Custom light, replacing a D'Addario set) I was suggested by the guy at the shop to adjust the truss rod in order to stop string buzz. It seemed to work, but then I didn't like the sound. Probably there was too much relief. I went back reducing the relief, but now it seems that the intonation needs to be corrected, and the guitar, an Epiphone AJ 500 ME NS, sounds like out of tune, even if I tuned it with the in-built tuner.

Is this problem fixable?

Thanks in advance for any help or comment.

Maurizio

Hi everyone,

After having put new strings (Martin Custom light, replacing a D'Addario set) I was suggested by the guy at the shop to adjust the truss rod in order to stop string buzz. It seemed to work, but then I didn't like the sound. Probably there was too much relief. I went back reducing the relief, but now it seems that the intonation needs to be corrected, and the guitar, an Epiphone AJ 500 ME NS, sounds like out of tune, even if I tuned it with the in-built tuner.

Is this problem fixable?

Thanks in advance for any help or comment.

Maurizio

what is the string height at the 12th fret the low E should be around 3/32ths. sometimes this happens but you should be able to find a happy medium. Maybe a tad bit heavier low E, A, and D sting will help.

what is the string height at the 12th fret the low E should be around 3/32ths. sometimes this happens but you should be able to find a happy medium. Maybe a tad bit heavier low E, A, and D sting will help.

Now it is a tiny bit above it, as I can see the line of the ruler at 3/32, right below the string. It has been almost fine for a year with the D'Addario Custom Light, but I thought that there was not much difference. My opinion is that the D'Addario strings fit better under the pins, but I followed the advice of the guy at the guitar shop -I wish I had not. I am not a lutist, so I was thinking to go to meet the technician for a set up. I have just bought two sets of D'Addario Custom Light, as I love the sound of lighter strings, but what is important now is to fix the guitar.

Apparently the original string gauge on that guitar is 12-52 (Gibson custom), that is similar to a commercial light gauge (12-53).

Do you mean more tension on the 4th,5th and 6th or a heavier gauge?

Thanks a lot, you made me feel hopeful. I love that guitar and these things are a pain in the neck. Cheers. M.

It is hard to know what the issue is over the net, especially this, since we can't hear or see the guitar.

With a tuner, it is possible to check the tuning of any string fretted at any fret. So, regardless of what you hear you can use it to actually know.

Having said that, acoustics aren't as "adjustable" as electrics in the you can't just intonate. changing string gauge, and even brands, can have an effect on intonation, and sometimes, more so in the nut area.

2 ways you can go here I think. One is, use strings that work better with the guitar and stick with those. The other way, is if you REALLY like the strings and the gauge and how it sounds, have the guitar set-up more fully to use that string.

Again, to check, use your tuner. Read what it says on the notes you fret. It doesn't lie.

Now it is a tiny bit above it, as I can see the line of the ruler at 3/32, right below the string. It has been almost fine for a year with the D'Addario Custom Light, but I thought that there was not much difference. My opinion is that the D'Addario strings fit better under the pins, but I followed the advice of the guy at the guitar shop -I wish I had not. I am not a lutist, so I was thinking to go to meet the technician for a set up. I have just bought two sets of D'Addario Custom Light, as I love the sound of lighter strings, but what is important now is to fix the guitar.

Apparently the original string gauge on that guitar is 12-52 (Gibson custom), that is similar to a commercial light gauge (12-53).

Do you mean more tension on the 4th,5th and 6th or a heavier gauge?

Thanks a lot, you made me feel hopeful. I love that guitar and these things are a pain in the neck. Cheers. M.

if you can see the line unger the string than it might be to high adjust using very small movement check for buzz when it starts to buzz then reverse the last adjustment then check. I adjust mine and get as close to the neck as I can, seems to help

It has been almost fine for a year with the D'Addario Custom Light, but I thought that there was not much difference. My opinion is that the D'Addario strings fit better under the pins, but I followed the advice of the guy at the guitar shop -I wish I had not. I am not a lutist, so I was thinking to go to meet the technician for a set up. I have just bought two sets of D'Addario Custom Light, as I love the sound of lighter strings, but what is important now is to fix the guitar.

D'Addario strings are known as a low tension string..........same gauge (example 12-53) but less tension vs other brands same gauges.

No problem changing string brands/gauges but most guitars need some tweaks after, so it just needs a set up if you can't sort it out yourself.

Nothing is broken.......it is just wood behaving like wood, sounds like the guitar was set up and played well with the D'addarios so the wood "memory" is used to them.........if you are not a do it yourself guy find a set and gauge you like and stick with them.......acoustics are more sensitive to temp, humidity, and string tension than many electrics.

D'Addario strings are known as a low tension string..........same gauge (example 12-53) but less tension vs other brands same gauges.

No problem changing string brands/gauges but most guitars need some tweaks after, so it just needs a set up if you can't sort it out yourself.

Nothing is broken.......it is just wood behaving like wood, sounds like the guitar was set up and played well with the D'addarios so the wood "memory" is used to them.........if you are not a do it yourself guy find a set and gauge you like and stick with them.......acoustics are more sensitive to temp, humidity, and string tension than many electrics.

I've just changed the strings, putting the D'Addario set. I'm still going for the set up, possibly tomorrow, as I don't have a proper place at home and some of the tools I would like to have. Probably, as you say, the lower tension produces less vibration. I didn't expect such situation, but now I know I won't buy Martin strings anymore. They work better when the pickup is in use though.

I need to calibrate the truss rod, to ensure that the notes played on each fret are tuned. Now they are not.

Thanks a lot for commenting, I really appreciate. This has been very helpful. Thank you all.

M.

the lower tension produces less vibration. I didn't expect such situation, but now I know I won't buy Martin strings anymore. They work better when the pickup is in use though.

I need to calibrate the truss rod, to ensure that the notes played on each fret are tuned. Now they are not.

Thanks a lot for commenting, I really appreciate. This has been very helpful. Thank you all.

M.

Changing strings to what you like and works best is fine.........you mentioned the problem when you switched from the D'addarios to the Martins (I have been down that road many years ago and had the same first reaction as you until a good tech let me know I did not break my guitar by just changing strings).

Due to the stings being a different tension on the guitar it just puts different stresses (not bad) on the wood and acoustics have more of a habit of shifting around and reacting to new or different tensions than most electrics.

Nothing is broken and you can use anything you want.......you just know in the future you have a guitar sensitive to different string gauges/tensions.

Not sure where you live but I am in the Chicago area and it gets dry in the winter........even though I keep my guitar room with a humidifier 24/7 in the winter and is stays at 50% all the time, my acoustics do shift around some and usually tighten up so I end up loosening the truss rods on most a bit this time of year then back in the summer when they feel and sound a little "rubber bandy".

From what you have told here sounds like the guitar just needs a good set up and as I said this time of year if you are in a cold dry climate would probably need it anyway regardless of the string change.

Make sure you humidify an acoustic guitar if you are in the cold dry climates.........even my all laminate one reacts to the weather changes if not kept humidified.

AJ 500 ME NS,

Maurizio

Went back and saw the model I own one in VS from the first run.

The Masterbuilt AJ 500s are very sensitive to any change in environment and string tensions they use a very thin wood construction/bracing to get their tone and volume.

I know that guitar has the intonated saddle.......it just needs a good set up, and once you get it where you want it kept in a stable environment.

Archived