Gibson Brands Forums

ALBION amplifers

kb5szo

I recently picked up a Used ALBION TCT35C ( single input-2 channel-1-12" albion speaker- 35 watt switchable to 12 watts ) and was wondering if anyone else had tried this amp and their opinion. I'm looking at re tubing it in the near future and wondering what tube brand folks suggest. IMO this amp sounds great only complaints is it didn't come with the foot switch and I CAN'T find one and I've always wanted to have a amp that would reproduce the Sweet singing sustain of Carlos Santana's sound and so far I have yet to dial in a mix in the Albion to produce this sound. Both channels can go from perfectly clean to overdrive by the gain & drive controls with the B channel being the heavy overdrive channel. Eddy

Hi ya'll Eddy. OK, firstly, I've got to admit, I've never heard of an Albion before, however, I might have some tips for you mate.

First off, there's a company called "Tube Depot.com" that have just about every tube brand and model you'd be looking for. If this amp is all tube then your going to need pre amp and power amp stage tubes for the refit. I get all my tubes from them, they're great. Another is "Amplified Parts.com". Both will see you right.

Now, your amp is two channel which is normal with any amp. One clean and the other dirty. Depending on the sound you want at the time will dictate which channel you select obviously. However, if you want to sound like Carlos, your going to need a little more than that. He uses compressor, delay, phase, overdrive, and a whah or cry baby pedal. He's particularly heavy on the cry baby. So your going to have to make up this pedal chain to go between yourself and the amp. Mess with the variations until you get his sound.

Hope this helps some mate. Good luck.

• 1 month later...

new tubes today from Dougs Tubes - Ruby matched 6L6's and a 12AX7 tube kit now I need to see how they sound --- still trying to get a foot switch - E-mails to Albion USA customer service were never answered - Albion UK customer service said " talk to the USA folks" but at least they replyed -- well I've been called a Pain in the "you know what" person so I was searching with google and found the head of the USA importer's name and phone number and the head of international exports for Albion e-mail address (his phone number was in ? who knows where) so I called the USA rep who never ID'ed himself (should have been Richie Onori) and he stated my e-mails had "crossed his desk" he stamered around for a while and then stated he was at NAMM and could I call him back next week as he was busy .. so I e-mailed the International guy "Andrew" he was also at NAMM and he replied their are no foot switches for my TCT35C in the entire USA but when he returns to the UK in 10 days or so he will work on my request to buy one.. --- I still think my Albion amp is the best sounding amp I have played in my 40+ years of electric guitar playing/preforming ( ruling out the super high priced rigs that I can't afford) -- BUT their customer service in the USA SUCKS --- rated 1 to 10 a ZERO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! eddy

Archived