Gibson Brands Forums

Need help with technique or an adjustment possibly

1963DaveG

Okay gonna try to explain what is happening here. As an example, say I am just playing a scale, any scale doesn't matter. Only on the low E 6th and A 5th strings, whenever I go to move from say the E to the A I get a ringing from the E string, or from the A to the D a ringing from the A string, again playing any scale up or down, I get a ringing from the string I just left. Almost as if I was doing a soft hammer on. No matter how I remove my fingers, and I feel I am ok in my technique it happens, and only on these two strings, and only on this Lester. I also ensured it was not my picking hand with my palm possibly dragging across and causing the string to ring out, no matter if I hold my picking hand completely off of the guitar or if it is resting/anchored to the bridge so this isn't the issue either. Palm muting with picking hand of course it goes away. It would be different and wouldn't bother me but sometimes I do not want the strings muted, but the ringing has gotten to me haha.

Now in as far as the Lester, I had Roger Morillo a Luthier I use set it up for me. Action is as low as possible without buzz and like I say only these two strings E and A. Could it be the pups need to be adjusted as they could be to close to the string since I don't believe an adjustment to pups was made after setup? Roger nor my cousin seem to have an issue but I am. I have not had the chance to go see Roger to explain to him what is happening since I live 3 hours away from him. I am not having this issue on any other guitar I have. So, hope this makes sense and please give me your opinions as you folks have a lot more experience than I do and this is about to drive me bat sh&% crazy! Thanks in advance!

Dave

Hey Dave

When you say " Roger nor my cousin seem to have an issue but I am." does that mean they have played the same Lester without them getting the ringing sound? If that's the case I would think the issue is related to your technique, even though it only shows itself on that particular guitar.

Now this is only a guess, but maybe the string is slightly sticking to your finger and as it pulls away there is somewhat of a pull-off sound like you say. It wouldn't hurt anything to try backing the pickups away from the strings a little.

Hope you figure it out and let us know when you do.

Tie a small rag on the strings/headstock above the nut and see if the ringing stops. Fairly common solution to the ringing problem -> string dampening -> https://www.google.com/search?q=ringing+strings+sock+on+headstock&rlz=1C1GGGE_enUS349US350&oq=ringing+strings+sock+on+headstock&aqs=chrome..69i57.17048j0j8&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8&safe=active&ssui=on

I tend to think of this not as a bad thing, but a good thing to be curious about.

I can offer perhaps a "learning" technique: Always start slow and work up speed. You likely know that, but going SLOW will ALWAYS result in being able to play something faster and better....said all that to say, is you can also go from faster to slower.

So...when you do that, you can really study the guitar, the sound, more than just your fingers and placement and such. More than "clean", if you will. Doesn't hurt I don't think to be curious and study all kinds of aspects.

From what you describe, If that where happening to me, I might want to see how I could repeat it, maybe use it. Maybe alter it.

Let us know, cause I am curious.

Thanks for the replies thus far! Just to clarify the ringing doesn't seem to be coming from above the headstock. I will try the string above the nut when I get back in from work in a few days to see if this is indeed the case. My initial thoughts was maybe the pups need to be lowered just a tad too. I agree play slow and clean and speed comes in time, and I do play clean even with speed, but just for some reason on these two strings as I stated as if a mild hammer on type ringing out after finger leaves the string. It is more predominate on lower end of fretboard as well versus up high past the 12th there is no ringing. And if memory serves me past say 9th fret and higher nothing. Is this something common as this is the first time I have dealt with this actually. I even wondered with temp and weather changes maybe an adjustment was necessary. Again thanks in advance for all suggestions and replies and I will get back to you all as soon as possible.

Dave

I can think of two things...

As you mention.. Maybe lower the pickups a tad...

Or something else that comes to mind.. What sort of strings do you use?

Maybe try some new types of strings on it.. Like the Ernie Ball Cobalt ones, they are really cool.. Or even a different string gauge?

Other strings ringing through the vibration of the guitar when you pluck a single string is sort of normal.. Usually I think most people learn string dampening techniques to over come that sort of issue. Other strings vibrating as you may have seen can get in the way when you are trying to tune your guitar with an electronic tuner you will see it try to pick up more than one string as they start vibrating and you have to mute the other strings to get a clear signal.

Remember to use the tip of your finger to mute the string below it, and to blend this motion with careful muting by your picking hand as you pass from string to string. That's how I do it (not very well, sometimes, mind you, my brother is the lead player around these parts), and I'm told it's crucial to pick sweeping as well.

Once this becomes habit, you may find it extremely difficult to 'unlearn' it when you do want those notes to ring out... which, occasionally, you may.

Remember to use the tip of your finger to mute the string below it, and to blend this motion with careful muting by your picking hand as you pass from string to string. That's how I do it (not very well, sometimes, mind you, my brother is the lead player around these parts), and I'm told it's crucial to pick sweeping as well.

Once this becomes habit, you may find it extremely difficult to 'unlearn' it when you do want those notes to ring out... which, occasionally, you may.

I've had a similar problem with sweep picking and strings ringing. I set myself the challenge of getting to a good place in sweep picking by the end of the year; not getting it to perfection (as I think it'll take longer), but not a bad sound. I've been able to gradually build up speed using a 3-string pattern, but recently noticed that when I took my finger off (from 13th fret B string) to an open string there was a ring, even though I was not trying to do a pull-off motion.

I then noticed the same sort of problem just going up and down on pentatonic scales; there's like a small ring like a hammer-on, just before I pick the string.

Feels like I've got to go back to the start and find some way to pull-off light, so I don't leave a ringing, but still fast. And also get my hands re-synced so I'm picking as I'm placing :(

Hey Dave

Now this is only a guess, but maybe the string is slightly sticking to your finger and as it pulls away there is somewhat of a pull-off sound like you say. It wouldn't hurt anything to try backing the pickups away from the strings a little.

Hope you figure it out and let us know when you do.

Yea I might try lowering ever so slightly IF tie the strings off above the nut doesn't do it.

Tie a small rag on the strings/headstock above the nut and see if the ringing stops. Fairly common solution to the ringing problem -> string dampening -> https://www.google.c...=active&ssui=on

Will do so when I can get the chance to do so. The ringing however does not seem to be coming from above the headstock though if this matters.

I tend to think of this not as a bad thing, but a good thing to be curious about.

I can offer perhaps a "learning" technique: Always start slow and work up speed. You likely know that, but going SLOW will ALWAYS result in being able to play something faster and better....said all that to say, is you can also go from faster to slower.

So...when you do that, you can really study the guitar, the sound, more than just your fingers and placement and such. More than "clean", if you will. Doesn't hurt I don't think to be curious and study all kinds of aspects.

From what you describe, If that where happening to me, I might want to see how I could repeat it, maybe use it. Maybe alter it.

Let us know, cause I am curious.

I agree 100% I am hoping it isn't something not fixable so to speak. I don't think it is in my technique though. I play as clean and precise as possible.

I can think of two things...

As you mention.. Maybe lower the pickups a tad...

Or something else that comes to mind.. What sort of strings do you use?

Maybe try some new types of strings on it.. Like the Ernie Ball Cobalt ones, they are really cool.. Or even a different string gauge?

Other strings ringing through the vibration of the guitar when you pluck a single string is sort of normal.. Usually I think most people learn string dampening techniques to over come that sort of issue. Other strings vibrating as you may have seen can get in the way when you are trying to tune your guitar with an electronic tuner you will see it try to pick up more than one string as they start vibrating and you have to mute the other strings to get a clear signal.

I have always used D'Addario 9-42's, surely it isn't the strings? I change strings often as well so that isn't the issue either.

That's just it. When I want to mute with tip of finger of course it is not an issue. But there are times when you want to play the string without muting at all and this is when it happens...in other words going from the low E string to the A string, as soon as my finger leaves the E string it is like as if I was pulling off maybe is a better way to put it versus hammer on. But again ONLY the two strings!

I've had a similar problem with sweep picking and strings ringing. I set myself the challenge of getting to a good place in sweep picking by the end of the year; not getting it to perfection (as I think it'll take longer), but not a bad sound. I've been able to gradually build up speed using a 3-string pattern, but recently noticed that when I took my finger off (from 13th fret B string) to an open string there was a ring, even though I was not trying to do a pull-off motion.

I then noticed the same sort of problem just going up and down on pentatonic scales; there's like a small ring like a hammer-on, just before I pick the string.

Feels like I've got to go back to the start and find some way to pull-off light, so I don't leave a ringing, but still fast. And also get my hands re-synced so I'm picking as I'm placing :(

This is the closest to describing what is happening, but its like a pull off more so thn a hammer on but still a ringing noise, and it drives me frigging insane! Maybe thats what I need to look at is to ensure i am not doing a light pull off!

Again, thanks guys! And as soon as I get time from work to check it out I will get back with you guys...thanks so much!

• 2 weeks later...

Well to my dismay I think I have found my issue! I did try lowering pups and raising them ended up where they were basically to begin with...was NOT the pups. Took straight edge and checked relief and it is good to go as well. Action is as low as possible with no buzz on frets. Strings are same I always use and these are not that old. I even tried another amplifier too not the issue. So, what was the issue, well turns out it is me! I guess I am lifting my finger tips off at times hard enough to make the string ring out! I guess I will just have to learn to not strike the lower strings so hard and not lift off as hard. So there ya have have it user head space and timing! I appreciate ALL replies.

EDIT...I did try string around headstock across strings that wasn't the issue either.

Archived