Gibson Brands Forums

Removing G-force tuners

jerrytimes

So, I'm one of the anti G-Force people. Not because of weight or anything, but it's the point of it. I can tune my own guitar and I don't like how it looks on the headstock. I'm thinking of buying a new SG and this G Force is limiting my selection. Have any of you seen or heard of anyone removing it and putting in normal tuners? I've never really looked to see what holds it in place.

Yes, it is fairly easy to remove the G-force unit from the guitar. They made it easy to remove the system as it is to tune your guitar with the device. Although I urge you to keep the device on, it is your preference and guitar. I would also like to add that you can still manually tune your guitar with the device just as you would any other guitar. There is even a "string up mode that takes the pain away of winding up new strings. Just some things to consider if you still decide to remove the unit.

I did it within a few days of owning my SG Special. Just unscreww the bussings at the front of headstock and the tuners come off easily. The thing that you have to do and carefully of course is to drill pilot holes for the tuners you will be installing. In my case, I installed Gibson Deluxe vintage tuners.

I am looking at buying a junior pretty soon. The price point on the 2015's is really pretty good. Like you (and pretty much the entire internet), the addition of the G-Force and some other changes on the new models is giving me pause. Secretly, I like the G-Force concept and want to try it. The online demos are actually kinda cool. But, just maybe not for me. It seems a little too much like a toy.

Anyhow, yes I am starting to see these 2015's modified with traditional tuners. There is a 2015 junior on ebay now for $700 with the G-Force removed. And aside from the hologram and new signature, you'd never know it had the G-Force :)

• 3 weeks later...

I have a curious question. I have a 2008 Gibson SG Standard that has been well to put it nicely "Building Character" going gigging and what not. What i want to do is buy another SG (loved that half batwinged pick-guard) and seeing these things don't come without the Mini Tune and swap them on the guitars. I want to make my Gigging guitar my gigging guitar and since i do switch the tunings around quite frequently, and also seeing that this contraption actually works, i was wondering if the tuning pegs are the same distance apart and have similar dimensions to make the swap possible, or is additional drilling required. I'm not trying to turn this into a project just a quick swap. :D

Garbage, garbage and more garbage! I hope Gibson wakes up and smells the coffee and realizes that nobody likes all these new changes.

They need to make their new guitars the way that their customers want them! UGGHH :angry:

Actually I like all of them. So they ARE make them the way the customer wants them. [rolleyes]

I have a curious question. I have a 2008 Gibson SG Standard that has been well to put it nicely "Building Character" going gigging and what not. What i want to do is buy another SG (loved that half batwinged pick-guard) and seeing these things don't come without the Mini Tune and swap them on the guitars. I want to make my Gigging guitar my gigging guitar and since i do switch the tunings around quite frequently, and also seeing that this contraption actually works, i was wondering if the tuning pegs are the same distance apart and have similar dimensions to make the swap possible, or is additional drilling required. I'm not trying to turn this into a project just a quick swap. :D

I have installed the Min-eTune on two of my older guitars, a 2008 SG and a 2009 Les Paul. I have also checked and seen that the system would bolt straight onto my 1988 Les Paul. So it seems like you would have no issue. [thumbup]

At first I didn't like mine (min etune) but it's kind of grown on me wish there was a video instructional tutorial that explained ALL the functions and how to use them. I found the full manual is a little overwhelming and I think it would be easier to watch a tutorial of each individual function that applies to what ever your need is at the time. At least for old farts like me that is :rolleyes:

At first I didn't like mine (min etune) but it's kind of grown on me wish there was a video instructional tutorial that explained ALL the functions and how to use them. I found the full manual is a little overwhelming and I think it would be easier to watch a tutorial of each individual function that applies to what ever your need is at the time. At least for old farts like me that is :rolleyes:

I do a lot of youtube videos and I'm thinking of doing some on the Min-eTune. What is it you're trying to figure out?

I do a lot of youtube videos and I'm thinking of doing some on the Min-eTune. What is it you're trying to figure out?

Thanks Searcy, one was how to do a factory reset

another was how tosave a custom tuning where I can do a sweetened tuning with my peterson tuner and save it and then how to recall it when I tune

I think that a lot of users would benefit from a YouTube tutorial. I know I would!!! [thumbup]

Then move along, cry baby. Move along. Find yourself a nice LDT. [crying]

Okay.....I don't know what an LDT is supposed to be but okay. [rolleyes] I guess I've ruffled your feathers, probably because you realize that your "new" pieces of crap aren't anything like the old Gibbys with ebony boards & solid hardware.

Carry on buddy [glare]

Okay.....I don't know what an LDT is supposed to be but okay. [rolleyes] I guess I've ruffled your feathers, probably because you realize that your "new" pieces of crap aren't anything like the old Gibbys with ebony boards & solid hardware.

Carry on buddy [glare]

Yes, my feathers are starting to get ruffled with little cry baby's, who would never dream of getting cooties by actually touching a new icky Gibson, trying to turn every single discussion into a min-etune, Richlite moan fest. This very small section of the forum is devoted to learning about the newer tech guitars. Please go have your diaper changed somewhere else.

Not that it matters but my "New" Gibson is from 2011. My old Gibson is from 1964. There are many in between.

If you're having trouble figuring out how to buy a Gibson guitar with the features you want maybe guitar isn't for you.

If you can't figure out what an LTD is maybe guitar isn't for you.

If you can't find at least a dozen discussions on the Gibson forum full of like minded, witless, cry baby's all pissing and moaning about products they don't understand and have never used, then maybe guitar isn't for you.

Yes, my feathers are starting to get ruffled with little cry baby's, who would never dream of getting cooties by actually touching a new icky Gibson, trying to turn every single discussion into a min-etune, Richlite moan fest. This very small section of the forum is devoted to learning about the newer tech guitars. Please go have your diaper changed somewhere else.

Not that it matters but my "New" Gibson is from 2011. My old Gibson is from 1964. There are many in between.

If you're having trouble figuring out how to buy a Gibson guitar with the features you want maybe guitar isn't for you.

If you can't figure out what an LTD is maybe guitar isn't for you.

If you can't find at least a dozen discussions on the Gibson forum full of like minded, witless, cry baby's all pissing and moaning about products they don't understand and have never used, then maybe guitar isn't for you.

Really??? Wow maybe you should be living in a third world dictator run country where choice doesn't exist...witless, cry baby's? Is this Henry J himself? And you just "assume" people haven't tried this crap? Again unbelievable...And if you think alienating 90% of the customer base is a good thing, I hope for your sake you never go into business. If you like these new changes that's great, Henry should of made a model with them, but to change the whole line up and force you to either buy a guitar with all these changes or buy used is just ridiculously stupid from any business stand point, let alone showing you could care less about what 90% of customers want. So continue with your pre pubescent teen name calling if that's how you feel you need to make your "point". But realize, you ARE in the very small minority of people that actually like these changes.

Really??? Wow maybe you should be living in a third world dictator run country where choice doesn't exist...witless, cry baby's? Is this Henry J himself? And you just "assume" people haven't tried this crap? Again unbelievable...And if you think alienating 90% of the customer base is a good thing, I hope for your sake you never go into business. If you like these new changes that's great, Henry should of made a model with them, but to change the whole line up and force you to either buy a guitar with all these changes or buy used is just ridiculously stupid from any business stand point, let alone showing you could care less about what 90% of customers want. So continue with your pre pubescent teen name calling if that's how you feel you need to make your "point". But realize, you ARE in the very small minority of people that actually like these changes.

Yes, I am sure that 98% of the little boys crying hysterically all over the internet about the 2015 models have not tried them and 1% that have tried them made up their mind that they didn't like them before they tried them.

wambulance.jpg

Now run along... it's past your bedtime. :rolleyes:

Yes, I am sure that 98% of the little boys crying hysterically all over the internet about the 2015 models have not tried them and 1% that have tried them made up their mind that they didn't like them before they tried them.

wambulance.jpg

Again with the "assumptions" and name calling. Sad really, that this is the best you can come up with...the same, lame responses. Especially as you are doing the same thing you are accusing others of... Oh well to try and have any adult conversation with you is obviously not possible, more like discussing politics with a 6 year old. In any case enjoy your life and have a great day :) Any further posts will not be seen by me as I won't be back to this thread. Like your replies, just a waste of time...

Now run along... it's past your bedtime. :rolleyes:

Archived