Gibson Brands Forums

My first les paul. Is this a genuine one to buy ?

pipi1980

So, I've came across what I think is a cool looking les paul studio on eBay.

Just want to post here to see if it's real deal.

only concern is that I thought studio's didn't come in a matt finish?

And the body looks like it's 3 different pieces? (can see in the back pictures).

let me know what you think?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231412937097?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Hello...

The studios certainly did come with faded and satin finishes... They have stopped it for 2015, but I love that kind of finish, you can really feel the wood...

And a LP with a three piece body is not unusual either... Especially at the studio price point.

And yes it looks genuine to me, the one on Ebay... Good luck [thumbup]

Ohh, also the one thing I do advise if this is your first Gibby is to go and try some in a shop.. Mainly they have two different types of neck a 50s and a 60s.. The 50s being fatter and the 60s being a slim tapered neck..

If you don't mind the 50s neck (which that studio probably has), go for it :)

I played the faded brown version of this guitar...it was $550, on sale at Guitar Center a few years back. I didn't like it. If you can, I'd play it before you buy it. I ended up with a Studio Deluxe - more than twice the price, but also more than twice the quality.

The guitar you're asking about looks to be a genuine Gibson Studio. Yes, they came in matte finishes and with multi-piece bodies.

The pickups and neck profiles can differ depending on the particular Studio model. Seems you should look at more models to get a better idea of what's available before you decide what to spend your money on.

It definitely looks legit, but that price is pretty high. With shipping that guy is asking $715 which is almost exactly what I got my Brown faded studio for brand new in 2009 ($720). That year I believe they came with a 50's neck profile, chambered body, and a set of Alnico V Burstbucker Pros. That guitar only weighs about 7 pounds.

I played the faded brown version of this guitar...it was $550, on sale at Guitar Center a few years back. I didn't like it. If you can, I'd play it before you buy it. I ended up with a Studio Deluxe - more than twice the price, but also more than twice the quality.

I don't think I would call it "twice the quality" considering they are all pretty much made the same way. The deluxe just has a fancy maple top, the pores in the wood are filled, and the clearcoat is buffed to a gloss instead of semi-gloss. Besides these features it is pretty much the same guitar in terms of craftsmanship, materials, etc...

I don't think I would call it "twice the quality" considering they are all pretty much made the same way. The deluxe just has a fancy maple top, the pores in the wood are filled, and the clearcoat is buffed to a gloss instead of semi-gloss. Besides these features it is pretty much the same guitar in terms of craftsmanship, materials, etc...

Those features are a big difference in terms of looks and manufacturing time.

Archived