Gibson Brands Forums

Fret board care

Once my new saddles arrive in the mail I'll be taking the strings off to install the new saddles, a new pup, and a Bigsby. While I have the strings off I plan on lightly buffing the fret board and giving it a good oiling. My question to you (for the most part) is what oil should I use? My SG has a rosewood fret board with some quite large pores in it. I currently use Dunlop 65 lemon oil, which most people say is fine, but I'd just like some other opinions. Some people swear by something else, and some say to avoid some things like the plague. My second question is about what to use to buff the fret board. I've tried 0000 steel wool in the past, but it hasn't given me the results I've been looking for. I wouldn't say that my fret board is "rough" by any means, but I'd just like for it to have a bit more of a polished look to it. Last time I used 0000 steel wool it didn't seem to do much, if anything. Most other forums I've checked have said 0000 steel wool and not to use anything more coarse than that. What's everyone's thoughts on the subject? Thanks!

Note: all the poll options are ideas that I've seen tossed around in other forums. For your reference, the only experience I have with any sort of wood working/finish is with gun stocks, so a fret board on a guitar is well beyond my area of knowledge.

I use Planet Waves Hydrate, just a few drops for the whole fretboard. Once a year I will gently clean and polish frets and board using fine bronze wool, not steel wool.

I would never use raw linseed oil, as it will turn sticky over time.

I am curious as well what is good to use. I'm going to buy some Gibson polish but don't know what to buy for the fretboard. Would the Dunlop Lemon Oil stuff work good? I have an old bottle of Planet Waves Hydrate that seems to work well on newer or cleaner fretboards but I'd like a cleaner for my older guitars. Do some products work better than others on certain fretboards? For instance, I have some maple neck guitars and some ebony neck guitars. Thanks.

I've had great luck for over 40 years with Stradella Violin polish. Its expensive, but it moistens the fretboard and revitalizes the wood. It also cleans the "cheese" off of the neck and gives the appearance of "newness" to the guitar. I use it on the entire instrument. Buff it out with a very soft cloth ("T" shirts work fine). YMMV

• 1 month later...

I am curious as well what is good to use. I'm going to buy some Gibson polish but don't know what to buy for the fretboard. Would the Dunlop Lemon Oil stuff work good? I have an old bottle of Planet Waves Hydrate that seems to work well on newer or cleaner fretboards but I'd like a cleaner for my older guitars. Do some products work better than others on certain fretboards? For instance, I have some maple neck guitars and some ebony neck guitars. Thanks.

Hello!

Worth pointing out to one thing here. Lemon oil, linseed oil, Hydrate... these products are not for cleaning the fretboard. They are for hydrating it!

For cleaning, I use diapers dampened with soapy water.

For hydrating: pure, raw, unboiled linseed oil rubbed in with diapers. It also buffs it slightly.

More on this here: http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/118680-fret-levelling-and-dressing/page__pid__1623659__st__20#entry1623659 post 35.

Consider, the financial aspects as well. What are they selling You under the fancy name "lemon oil", for three times more than raw linseed oil...

Cheers... Bence

• 3 weeks later...

I have used "Wood Wind Bore Oil" forever with excellent results. I purchased a brand new 2013 Gibson Les Paul Standard in Heritage Cherry Sunburst that arrived with a very light color rosewood fretboard almost like it was too dry. I applied the "Bore Oil" 2X during string changes which made the fretboard look rich and darker however after a couple of weeks the light color would return. I did some internet research and found a great product made by "Music Nomad". It is called "F-One Fretboard Oil". I have applied it twice over the last year during string changes and my fretboard looks rich, darker, and well saturated. Music Nomads F-One Fretboard Oil is a really great fretboard conditioner. On a different note, I have noticed that the trapezoid inlays on the 3rd, 5th, 7th, and 9th positions are slightly higher than the fretboard leading me to suspect they were not properly seated during assembly. They have been like that since I purchased my Les Paul from Sweetwater Music on 10/23/2013. The included Gibson check list states that my Gibson Les Paul Standard was completed 09/20/2013. I haven't pursued warranty work as it doesn't seem to affect my playing, however when I treat the fretboard I find it a little annoying as I bought a Gibson because of the quality of workmanship and for the thousands of dollars I spent I feel every aspect of my Les Paul should be dead on perfect. I'm not sure what to do if anything? I must say other than that the fit and finish are outstanding!

For decades I used lemon Pledge. I would roll ip to a bar gig or punk rock gig, pop the case and you could see an immediate reaction from my bamdmates and the crowd.

In the last 5 years or so though I have been using a mail order product called Fret Doctor I am fond of. It's pricey, but it works for me.

I prefer the raw wood feel on my fretboard so I don't buff, just oil.

Hmm, yeah this is an often discussed subject..

Apart from cleaning the fretboard with a very lightly dampened cloth (and try to use a lint free one) I use lemon oil.. I like the applicator that the bottle comes with so you just rub it straight on from the bottle and then wipe the excess off with a cloth... and you don't have to do it more than once a year, if that..

I used it only for the first time on one of my guitars a few weeks back... (ive NEVER used lemon oil before, just thought id try it)..

so this is the before

DSC_0805_zpsb2e49fc4.jpg

and after the clean and oil

DSC_0820_zps70270c8b.jpg

and really its not something that you have to worry about much I think.. you can use what you want to clean it (well within reason :)) but a good oil or fretboard conditioner once in a blue moon will just make it look nice and dark, and if you use lemon oil it smells nice :)

Archived