Gibson Brands Forums

About to buy my first LP!

Mark Stephenson

Welcome.

All those angle shots make it hard to get a good look at the lay of the land.

But. from what I can see, it seems genuine to me, and in nice shape, with a chainsaw case to boot.

Price seems a bit high to me - I'm thinking $1500-$1700 or there about.

That looks to be a nice Les Paul and I'm diggin that tobacco burst. $2k does seem a bit high especially cuz he's saying firm....if you can wait it out a bit longer, Long n McQuades will probably have some sales coming up on 2014's or any remaining 2013's. But that being said, that's a tasty looking Paul but you should see if he'll come down at all in price!

That looks to be a nice Les Paul and I'm diggin that tobacco burst. $2k does seem a bit high especially cuz he's saying firm....if you can wait it out a bit longer, Long n McQuades will probably have some sales coming up on 2014's or any remaining 2013's. But that being said, that's a tasty looking Paul but you should see if he'll come down at all in price!

i've been talking to people and the general idea i've been getting is that gibson has been losing quality on newer models, plus i just love that older tone, especially because slash plays an 87 tobacco:p

Mark I just wanted to let you know that I just checked my 99 tobacco standard, because the serial # on

yours looked out of place. My # and made in the usa stamps are much higher on the back of the neck

than yours. Whether this is anything usable to verify authenticity of lps, I have no idea. Just thought you

should know. Check some pics on line and compare. This stamping location may not mean anything and

I don't mean to question the sellers integrity or anyone else's.

The only advise I can give is not to buy a Gibson unless you play the guitar and look it over carefully. Gibson quality control is at a low ebb. I have owned three Gibsons, two Les Paul Traditionals and a 2005 SG. All three had major flaws. The first Les Paul had major orange peel around that neck joint, excess glue on the neck joint that repelled the cherry stain, chips out of the fret board and warped pickup trim. The second Les Paul had binding near the neck that was cracked and separating, clear coat peeling off the side of the headstock and a crooked jack plate and strap buttons. The SG had a poorly sanded cut-away that was crooked and cherry stain that overran the head stock overlay. All of these guitars were new and came from different dealers. Needless to say, I will never buy another Gibson unless I can take it home for a time to test drive and return it if things are not correct. People slam Guitar Center, but you can take a guitar back within 30 days if there are problems with virtually no questions asked.

I also like Guitar Center for used. You can do a nationwide search on Les Paul Standards and see their prices, which may be better than this too. I typically see their Standards in the $1700-2000 range. Contact the store you find one at and ask for more pics and you can have it shipped to your nearest store to check out (of course you have to pay for it, but if you don't like it, you get your mondy back). I've even made money on some of their used stuff because sometimes it's priced better than typical Craigslist pricing.

Ya, Gibson has had some issues with quality. I had to get a new nut installed on my 2012 Traditional, but other than that it's a beast. If you're buying new and from Long and McQuades I'd suggest paying a bit extra for the warranty, here in Canada we aren't entitled to the lifetime warranty on Gibsons like the USA is. But if you're buying used, I'd highly recommend educating yourself on what to look for and how to recognize authentics and fakes. Also take ur time and don't jump on the first one that passes, there are lots of Les Pauls that pop up on Kijiji. If you're in the Toronto area, a good place to look also is the 12 Fret or other well known shops like that (Tundra Music).

Archived