Gibson Brands Forums

'61 PAF set

mitchbagnet

Hey guys! Long story short, I have a beater Peavey 335 style guitar and was talking to my dad about upgrading pickups... Well he told me he had some old Gibson humbuckers I could have. After looking them up, I found them to be 1961 PAF with "patent applied for" sticker. Well, before knowing what I had, I took off the covers to replace them (my hardware is gold) Any idea what these are worth? Little more info on them: They only have about 1 inch of lead wire left, there is "REAR" scratched into one, and like I said, I took off the covers (DANGIT!!). But I do have the trim rings, screws and springs, and I even have the original pots! The guitar was a 1961 ES-335. My dad took them out to use a lower profile pickup because they got in his way (fingerstyle or thumbpick style!).

post-69040-098996700 1418069623_thumb.jpg

post-69040-024069500 1418069654_thumb.jpg

post-69040-085870100 1418069687_thumb.jpg

It depends on a few things, but the COULD be worth as much as 2500 bucks or so.

Of corse, what you would want to do with them, as for sentimental value, or keeping them with the guitar they came out of...might be worth more to you to keep them than to try and sell them.

As for the value in cash terms, it really depends on not just the market, but where one would get a figure from. A vender who deals with them is going to be able to get top dollar, and it's going to be quite high, as they go through the trouble of authenticating and having them available for those who are looking to restore certain guitars and need the RIGHT parts. So, it is common to see these going for a butt-load of money. Same for a lot of other stuff like speakers, etc.

But, seeing them for sale at high prices at certain venders does not mean you can expect to always get a cash amount close to that. Some PAF on EBAY, even though genuine, is not the same as getting one from a qualified vender who knows and can tell exactly what it is and what guitar(s) it belongs in.

While a PAF is a PAF, not all are the same. They must be checked to see what wire was used, what covers they fit, magnet spacing, everything, before they are fully and properly identified. So, what I am saying is that being genuine isn't enough, but being able to prove they are, and EXACTLY what construction and specs they have is where they will be worth a little or a lot. If you put a PAF, in say, a Les Paul or something and it isn't the right PAF, and someone finds the flaw....kinda blows the whole idea.

I am not really an expert all that much on which is which and how to tell, but I am going to make a guess that the value to your dad's guitar will be made more putting these back in, or having them with the guitar than what you will get selling them. A '61 335 with the original pups is worth a lot more than without, even if they aren't in the guitar.

Cool! Thanks for the reply Stein! As far as the guitar it came out of, well it has lets say been modified quite a bit. I think the boat for a full restoration on it has long since sailed..... It's actually set up exactly as he wanted!! There is no sentimental value for me.... I just know they are destined to be in something better than my 300$ guitar!! I would like to sell them, but I don't want to feel like I was screwed over.... I wonder where I could take them to be authenticated in the Louisville, Ky area?? Maybe I'll have to look around! Thanks again!!!

If it were me, I would first get on the net and identify some of these venders who sell these for the higher prices I mentioned above. Then I would contact them to see if they are interested, have a conversation.

When selling to a dealer, I think it fair to expect half, give or take, of what they might sell them for.

I would check EBAY for similar listings, see what they are actually selling for.

I would also check to see, where the REAL guitar shops are, those that do vintage or used in the area, that I could actually go to.

That's if I were you. If I were me, I would put them safely in a safe place, and either get a guitar worthy of them, or wait for such time as dad wanted to sell or pass down his guitar, or both.

Whatever you do, make sure you don't break or damage the fragile wire, else they will then be worth next to nothing.

Cool! Thanks for the reply Stein! As far as the guitar it came out of, well it has lets say been modified quite a bit. I think the boat for a full restoration on it has long since sailed..... It's actually set up exactly as he wanted!! There is no sentimental value for me.... I just know they are destined to be in something better than my 300$ guitar!! I would like to sell them, but I don't want to feel like I was screwed over.... I wonder where I could take them to be authenticated in the Louisville, Ky area?? Maybe I'll have to look around! Thanks again!!!

Charlie Gelber at es-335.org is a bit of an expert on PAF's, and would probably be willing to advise you if you send him pictures. It's a shame you took the covers off, which can have a significant negative impact on value.

Charlie Gelber at es-335.org is a bit of an expert on PAF's, and would probably be willing to advise you if you send him pictures. It's a shame you took the covers off, which can have a significant negative impact on value.

Thanks for the info j45nick! I'll look Charlie up!! I know what you mean about the covers.... Wish I could go back 3 days!!

• 5 months later...

Archived