Gibson Brands Forums

ES-335 Studio or ES-339 Studio?

dougg330

Hey, all

I picked up a new ES-339 Studio 2014 a couple of months ago and have been loving it. Now I have the opportunity to grab its big brother, the ES- 335 Studio 2014. Haven't played the 335 yet, and am curious to hear from the esteemed Forum if you think there's a big difference between the two guitars. Is it worth it to have both?

Thx

I love my 339. Actually I sold 2 339's that I had in order to get the one I have. To me, the 335 just doesn't feel right. The little bit bigger body of the 335 just doesn't seem right. I have played may new and vintage 335's and none really "do it" for me. I think the 335 is going to be so close in sound/tone that you may want to go with a solid body. then again each guitar can be very different and the 335 may be the next one for you. I have played many consecutive serial number guitars and there can be a world of difference between them. My answer to you is to test drive the 335 and see what you think. If it "feels right" then go for it. Also have someone else play both of them so you can sit back and listen instead of concentrating on the playing.

Thanks, guys. My main guitar is the '67 ES-330 pictured as my avatar. I have been trying for years to get solid body running mate for it, but I can't seem to get comfortable with them. I tried the 339 as an alternative to solid bodies, and I've been loving the tone of the it - can even get a Fenderish tone out of it. But I'm still having trouble getting used to the small size. So I want to give the 335 Studio a whack..I played a 335 back in the day, then stopped playing for a loooong time, and got the 330 when I started playing again. I'll see what happens when I get my hands on the 335 and report back.

Archived