Gibson Brands Forums

New and have a question re: an Epiphone FT-135

Blues2

So, I bought this FT-135 for 100.00, overall it's in good shape except for a slightly dried out fret board, and some fading on the top part of the side.

Anyway, I was wondering if someone could help me, I have searched all over the interwebs, and can't find an answer. I'd like to know when this guitar was made. I tried using a site that was linked here to find the build date, but they don't track Japan made guitars.

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks and Happy Holidays.

So, I bought this FT-135 for 100.00, overall it's in good shape except for a slightly dried out fret board, and some fading on the top part of the side.

Anyway, I was wondering if someone could help me, I have searched all over the interwebs, and can't find an answer. I'd like to know when this guitar was made. I tried using a site that was linked here to find the build date, but they don't track Japan made guitars.

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks and Happy Holidays.

The FT-135 was made from about 1973 until about 1979. It's nearly impossible to narrow it down much closer than that. The model first showed up in the 1974 catalog and was around until the FT line was superseded by the PR(Presentation) line about 1978/1979. As you've already determined, this guitar was made in Japan by Matsumoku which was the parent company of brands such as Aria and Westone and who was contracted by Norlin, the then-parent company of the Gibson and Epiphone brands to re-label some of their Aria models as Epiphones (to provide Norlin entries in the import market that was exploding in the late 60s/early 70s). This was the second wave of these Japanese Epiphones and perhaps a slight improvement over the first wave. The FT line were all-laminated (The FT-135 having a laminated spruce sound board and 000-sized laminated rosewood back and sides) with bolt-on necks. Intended to be sold at an economy/entry level market niche and price point, these guitars were made inexpensively. The FT-135 list priced at $149.99 in 1974 and streeted around $120. $100 for one today is about the going price through much more is often asked for them. Something that could narrow your time line down a bit is if it has a smaller blue rectangular interior label (stating the business offices as being in Kalamazoo) it was made from 1973-1976. If it has a larger, white, square-ish label (stating the business offices as being in Lincolnwood, Illinois) it's from 1977-1980. If it's a functional, viable guitar and in relatively good condition $100 could be an acceptable price. If there's any thing else feel free to ask. Congratulations on your new guitar.

The FT-135 was made from about 1973 until about 1979. It's nearly impossible to narrow it down much closer than that. The model first showed up in the 1974 catalog and was around until the FT line was superseded by the PR(Presentation) line about 1978/1979. As you've already determined, this guitar was made in Japan by Matsumoku which was the parent company of brands such as Aria and Westone and who was contracted by Norlin, the then-parent company of the Gibson and Epiphone brands to re-label some of their Aria models as Epiphones (to provide Norlin entries in the import market that was exploding in the late 60s/early 70s). This was the second wave of these Japanese Epiphones and perhaps a slight improvement over the first wave. The FT line were all-laminated (The FT-135 having a laminated spruce sound board and 000-sized laminated rosewood back and sides) with bolt-on necks. Intended to be sold at an economy/entry level market niche and price point, these guitars were made inexpensively. The FT-135 list priced at $149.99 in 1974 and streeted around $120. $100 for one today is about the going price through much more is often asked for them. Something that could narrow your time line down a bit is if it has a smaller blue rectangular interior label (stating the business offices as being in Kalamazoo) it was made from 1973-1976. If it has a larger, white, square-ish label (stating the business offices as being in Lincolnwood, Illinois) it's from 1977-1980. If it's a functional, viable guitar and in relatively good condition $100 could be an acceptable price. If there's any thing else feel free to ask. Congratulations on your new guitar.

This is what I was hoping to find..So thanks a bunch for the info. It is in fact labeled Lincolnwood. I did some clean up on it, replaced strings, applied some fret board conditioner, and adjusted the saddle to lower the strings, and try to get the intonation a bit better, still much harder to play than my PR epi, but, I do like the tone of this old Ft, so I plan on keeping it. Again, thanks for taking the time to help me.. [thumbup]

I bought mine, with the blue label, for $70 at a pawn shop in Dallas in 1981.

Played it for years with high action until 2002 when I found a luthier that reset the inside block and adjusted the action just right. (these can be adjusted to play nicely)

It's a fun guitar to play. Not as resonate as my Masterbilts or solid top Epiphones. But a fine picker.

Love the neck binding, thin neck profile and block inlays. Nice MOP logo on the headstock and E on the pickguard.

Don't think I'll ever sell it. Sentimental value being my first acoustic.

Enjoy her. For $100, spend a little and she can be a fun guitar to play.

I bought mine, with the blue label, for $70 at a pawn shop in Dallas in 1981.

Played it for years with high action until 2002 when I found a luthier that reset the inside block and adjusted the action just right. (these can be adjusted to play nicely)

It's a fun guitar to play. Not as resonate as my Masterbilts or solid top Epiphones. But a fine picker.

Love the neck binding, thin neck profile and block inlays. Nice MOP logo on the headstock and E on the pickguard.

Don't think I'll ever sell it. Sentimental value being my first acoustic.

Enjoy her. For $100, spend a little and she can be a fun guitar to play.

Thanks for the info..The neck seems to be holding up fine on mine. I did some adjusting on the bridge to lower the action, while trying to improve the intonation, not perfect, but I can live with it..Still getting use to the smallish frets, have to use more pressure to get a clean sound, especially around the 12th fret. I plan on keeping it just cuz it looks good and to me, has a nice sound.

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update on my FT-135. Tonight I was messing around, it's been in standard tuning since I got it. Tonight I tuned a 1/2 step down, and Geeez, I couldn't believe my ears, sustain I couldn't believe, and it was easier to fret, due the looser strings, so then I thought I'd go to open G tuning, again, the sustain was great! and the volume this little guitar puts out is amazing. I saw another thread that the OP asked for a good blues acoustic to play on, welp, this guitar would fit the bill very nicely. I've had older 800.00 acoustic's that didn't soud this good. I realize it's not like a Masterbuilt, but for the $$$ imho it's hard to beat.

Oh, Happy New Years to all, have a safe one... B)

My second guitar I ever owned back in the early 70's was a FT 132, 000 body style. I still remember the impressive fit and finish and the low action. For the money, it was a really sweet guitar. I actually traded it to a friend for a old beat up Gibson pawn shop find.

Archived