Gibson Brands Forums

traditional 2014 was a mistake?

denis-brazil

I think its the same issue I ran into with "all the 59s". The individual poles need careful tweaking on the 59s. Its doesn't sound bad, but it could sound much better. The usual curve to the string radius like the 57s just "doesn't sound right" on the 59s. The high E, B, and G I adjusted different on all these 59s. The pole adjustment is somewhat closer to a staggered Strat pup on mine. And just 1/4 turn of the pole makes a big difference.

Before you change anything I would carefully set up and adjust those pick-ups.

could you pls show a puc or vid of your adjusents? cheers

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think its the same issue I ran into with "all the 59s". The individual poles need careful tweaking on the 59s. Its doesn't sound bad, but it could sound much better. The usual curve to the string radius like the 57s just "doesn't sound right" on the 59s. The high E, B, and G I adjusted different on all these 59s. The pole adjustment is somewhat closer to a staggered Strat pup on mine. And just 1/4 turn of the pole makes a big difference.

Before you change anything I would carefully set up and adjust those pick-ups.

Guest Farnsbarns

You won't necessarily want to copy another set up. There's no reason yours would be the same. Just start experimenting.

If you want a little more mid-range just move the two middle poles a little closer to the strings for example. I actually have the same model as yours. I liked the 59's so much I bought a pair from someone like you who wanted 57's in his 2014 model. I put them in my 2013 Burst you see here. The burst has 300k pots I believe and that makes a big difference as well. I did make some adjustments to the poles and will try to post a pic later. I play through a Marshall JCM800, usually in the middle position for with the bridge on 10 and the neck on 7 or 8. I also have Vox amps. Vox and single coil guitars sound better to me, Les Pauls sound better through the Marshall in my opinion.

14036889041_5297ea37f2.jpg

cool.. you guys ever listened about lillar pickups? is it really the best?

Best is in the ear of the beholder, to me there is only different. No single guitar will do everything you want that's why many of us have multiple guitars with many types of pickups. I use different guitars for different songs.

why the 2014 pickus lasted only one year? I believe that the gibson realized they were very treble and had no weight. waited decades to buy a guitar that the manufacturer itself condemned to oblivion ... otherwise the pickups would have been kept in manufacturing. right?

Hey denis-Brazil,

I have a 2014 Taditional and the '59 Tribute Humbuckers aren't bad at all. Like everyone has said "sonic Nirvana" is different for all of us. You really need to experiment with the volume and tone controls on your guitar as well as the eq on your particular amp. I put all eq controls on the amp at noon. Then I start with the rhythm pickup on the guitar and work with the controls on the guitar to get the rhythm pickup sounding good to my ears. Slight adjustments on your guitar go a long way. Then I go down to the treble pickup and do the same. Then work with the amp making slight adjustments. Remember that volume also affects your tone. The louder you go you will hear the tonal difference. Remember also that the volume controls on your guitar affect your tone as well. I really like my tone when I run my amp at a high volume and use my guitars volume to control how loud I want to go. The middle position on the Les Paul is great as well. Run the treble pickup louder that the rhythm pickup for a really nice in between type tone. You will find many tones just by using the controls on your guitar. There is no such thing as "set it and forget it" when it comes to tone. Another piece of advice is that a professional set up goes a long way. I have my Les Paul set up with higher than normal action and I use Rotosound Purples. These are 12 to 56 with a wound Third string. Sorry for the long post. Best of luck on your tonal journey. It is a GREAT journey- have fun with it.

Kindest Regards,

MississippiBlue

Hey denis-Brazil,

I have a 2014 Taditional and the '59 Tribute Humbuckers aren't bad at all. Like everyone has said "sonic Nirvana" is different for all of us. You really need to experiment with the volume and tone controls on your guitar as well as the eq on your particular amp. I put all eq controls on the amp at noon. Then I start with the rhythm pickup on the guitar and work with the controls on the guitar to get the rhythm pickup sounding good to my ears. Slight adjustments on your guitar go a long way. Then I go down to the treble pickup and do the same. Then work with the amp making slight adjustments. Remember that volume also affects your tone. The louder you go you will hear the tonal difference. Remember also that the volume controls on your guitar affect your tone as well. I really like my tone when I run my amp at a high volume and use my guitars volume to control how loud I want to go. The middle position on the Les Paul is great as well. Run the treble pickup louder that the rhythm pickup for a really nice in between type tone. You will find many tones just by using the controls on your guitar. There is no such thing as "set it and forget it" when it comes to tone. Another piece of advice is that a professional set up goes a long way. I have my Les Paul set up with higher than normal action and I use Rotosound Purples. These are 12 to 56 with a wound Third string. Sorry for the long post. Best of luck on your tonal journey. It is a GREAT journey- have fun with it.

Kindest Regards,

MississippiBlue

thank you very much mississipi blue for your atenttion and helpuful advices... did u see the video that i recorded? (link in previous msg) how it sounds in your ears mate?

cheers

Hey Man,

Sorry I forgot to say. I saw the video and I LOVED it . You've got great gear man. I'm always trying to improve my tone so I know how you feel. Enjoy playing and tone chasing. Like I said it is an AWESOME journey. Experiment with what you've got. Your tone also changes with pick attack and the type of pick you use. Palm muting does a lot to your sound as well. I've learned over the years that EVERYTHING affects tone. Developing your tonal fingerprint takes time. Be patient and enjoy.

Take Care and Kindest Regards,

MississippiBlue

This is what a staggered Strat pickup looks like:

15999576116_051e6c0a5e.jpg

Here's how I have my 59 bridge pup set. The poles under the G, D, and A string are the highest. I keep the high E and B lower to cut some of the brightness. I keep the low E down for less mudiness.

15839669597_ba72093ab4.jpg

2015 GIBSON LES PAUL CLASSIC!

I just bought a 2015 Gibosn Les Paul Classic. On your site it says the pick ups are 57's But the place I bought the guitar from and all other retailers I've checked they list the pick ups as 61's. I would like to know which pick ups are in my guitar? The pick ups seem really muddy on the low E and A strings while at heavy distorion Which is my normal sound. I've changed the eq on the amp and I still can't get rid of the muddy sound. It almost sounds like the pick ups can't catch any single notes if you are riding or muting the low E string. It does the same thing weater the pickups are split or if the 15db boost is on or off. It sounds great on all the clean channels no matter what picup you're on or if the coil split is on as well as the 15db boost. I have 2 other les pauls one with active emgs and on stock but they do not give me any problems. I know the pickups in other guitars I have are hotter but I don't think thats the problem. Anybody else have the same problem? If so, did you fix it and how did you fix it? I open to any suggestions. I've even adjusted the hieght of the pick up to the strings. I'm at a loss. Everything else about the guitar is awsome except for this one annoying issue. Help!

Did you post in enough threads with the same question?

It's a good way getting flack from forum members.

2015 GIBSON LES PAUL CLASSIC!

I just bought a 2015 Gibosn Les Paul Classic. On your site it says the pick ups are 57's But the place I bought the guitar from and all other retailers I've checked they list the pick ups as 61's. I would like to know which pick ups are in my guitar? The pick ups seem really muddy on the low E and A strings while at heavy distorion Which is my normal sound. I've changed the eq on the amp and I still can't get rid of the muddy sound. It almost sounds like the pick ups can't catch any single notes if you are riding or muting the low E string. It does the same thing weater the pickups are split or if the 15db boost is on or off. It sounds great on all the clean channels no matter what picup you're on or if the coil split is on as well as the 15db boost. I have 2 other les pauls one with active emgs and on stock but they do not give me any problems. I know the pickups in other guitars I have are hotter but I don't think thats the problem. Anybody else have the same problem? If so, did you fix it and how did you fix it? I open to any suggestions. I've even adjusted the hieght of the pick up to the strings. I'm at a loss. Everything else about the guitar is awsome except for this one annoying issue. Help!

As some said it really depends, I don't have close-ups, but here's one done by a local tech, which I re-adjusted after setting up the guitar which is when the photo was taken. You'll notice going with the radius the middle poles are slightly lower, the tone is more scooped in the mids and it sounded, ok, not just tonal perfection but not bad. I have two here and both are different and I set one up from the tone of the other. So there is not a one perfect setting, I start with the radius and tweak from there. And when the tweaking was done "perfect" perfection, But yes, right above Ocean Blue LP looks about perfect radius. Thing is after you radius the poles, you are still adjusting bass-treble sides of the pick-ups. And just a 1/4 turn of any of the screws changes the tone, thus interaction between strings of tone. Like with the mids below.

IMG_0869_zps1563b0d9.jpg

As far as the fellow above with 57s sounding muddy, then swap pick-ups, and you guys will be straight. No new pictures, if you really are in dire, crazy need to see, I might be able to hook you up. [biggrin]

But as far as the OP, if you like the way LP feels and plays, the rest is all the fun. It certainly looks good and sounds good. I like both the LP and the amp, and use the same and another very similar amp. But the tone eqs and amp eq is another story. For example I never have my treble bridge EQ up past 8. On none of my guitars.

The 59s remind me of that late 60s San Francisco PAF tone. Pretty damn close.

As some said it really depends, I don't have close-ups, but here's one done by a local tech, which I re-adjusted after setting up the guitar which is when the photo was taken. You'll notice going with the radius the middle poles are slightly lower, the tone is more scooped in the mids and it sounded, ok, not just tonal perfection but not bad. I have two here and both are different and I set one up from the tone of the other. So there is not a one perfect setting, I start with the radius and tweak from there. And when the tweaking was done "perfect" perfection, But yes, right above Ocean Blue LP looks about perfect radius. Thing is after you radius the poles, you are still adjusting bass-treble sides of the pick-ups. And just a 1/4 turn of any of the screws changes the tone, thus interaction between strings of tone. Like with the mids below.

IMG_0869_zps1563b0d9.jpg

As far as the fellow above with 57s sounding muddy, then swap pick-ups, and you guys will be straight. No new pictures, if you really are in dire, crazy need to see, I might be able to hook you up. [biggrin]

But as far as the OP, if you like the way LP feels and plays, the rest is all the fun. It certainly looks good and sounds good. I like both the LP and the amp, and use the same and another very similar amp. But the tone eqs and amp eq is another story. For example I never have my treble bridge EQ up past 8. On none of my guitars.

The 59s remind me of that late 60s San Francisco PAF tone. Pretty damn close.

NICE MAN..THANKS FOR SHARING

NICE MAN..THANKS FOR SHARING

Did you start getting this together where you are happy? These are a bit harder to dial in than the 57s imho. The Ocean Blue you can't really see. This was just set up but before the poles are done, this is from the factory but notice the treble-bass difference in the pickups?

IMG_0880_zps821e72e0.jpg

Hey Man,

Sorry I forgot to say. I saw the video and I LOVED it . You've got great gear man. I'm always trying to improve my tone so I know how you feel. Enjoy playing and tone chasing. Like I said it is an AWESOME journey. Experiment with what you've got. Your tone also changes with pick attack and the type of pick you use. Palm muting does a lot to your sound as well. I've learned over the years that EVERYTHING affects tone. Developing your tonal fingerprint takes time. Be patient and enjoy.

Take Care and Kindest Regards,

MississippiBlue

I found the tone great, although I personally wouldn't expect that from a Les Paul. It sounds almost like a Telecaster, although noise-free. It's the Gibson that strat-guys ever wanted.

I didn't know that humbuckers were capable of producing that bright sound.

• 1 month later...

Archived