Gibson Brands Forums

traditional 2014 was a mistake?

denis-brazil

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Farnsbarns

because the gibson simply manufactured it for only a year ... which is not common ... agree?

Not the best method of diagnosis to be fair. Is there a local guitar tech?

why the 2014 pickus lasted only one year? I believe that the gibson realized they were very treble and had no weight. waited decades to buy a guitar that the manufacturer itself condemned to oblivion ... otherwise the pickups would have been kept in manufacturing. right?

Not true, the 2015 Traditionals also have the 59 Tribute pups. These pick ups are a little brighter to be sure but Gibson has also changed out the potentiometer values. The 2013 models have the 57 pick ups and 300 K pots, the 2014 models have 500 K pots. The pot change alone is enough to make the guitar a little brighter. However, to my ear, the 59 tribute pick ups sound a little bit more like the pick ups they were making in the 50s. A lot of the early Les Pauls were actually quite bright sounding.

Guest Farnsbarns

yes.. he said the guitar is ok... but agree that its not the best les paul....

Did he say it was the pups? Did he swap out the pots or caps? Did adjust the pole pieces? How does it sound with volume at 6-7? What value are the caps?

Guest Farnsbarns

Not true, the 2015 Traditionals also have the 59 Tribute pups. These pick ups are a little brighter to be sure but Gibson has also changed out the potentiometer values. The 2013 models have the 57 pick ups and 300 K pots, the 2014 models have 500 K pots. The pot change alone is enough to make the guitar a little brighter. However, to my ear, the 59 tribute pick ups sound a little bit more like the pick ups they were making in the 50s. A lot of the early Les Pauls were actually quite bright sounding.

This also. I've heard it said that a good les paul should be overly bright and clangy through an average amp with controls on guitar at 10, I'm usually rolled back to around 8 (volume) but with audio taper 500k pots on Burstbuckers.

because the Gibson simply manufactured it for only a year ... which is not common ... agree?

no I don't agree that just because Gibson changed its spec's from 2013, 2014 to 2015 that the guitar is not any good.

Car's do this all the time.. if they didn't we'd be all driving 57 Chevy's...

each year a car changes its trim, colour options, wheels/rims, engine spec's, radio's etc.

so why would a Guitar manufacturer not do the same.

We all would love a 59 Les Paul and Gibson should know that that is the 'most desirable' guitar but the choose to mix it up a little each year to try and get new buyers every year.

don't move product.. you fail and go out of business.

Just Gibson has a bad case history of making poor choices to wards the Les Paul.. That's why the stopped making them during the 'hay day's' of the 60's..

Just poor choices at the top.

that doesn't make for a bad guitar.

Guest Farnsbarns

im pretty sure that 2014 and 2015 pickups are differents! they have some differences, right? so u guys let volume at 8?? and tone!? im using a vox ac15c1...

Did you see my questions in post 9?

[/

View Postdenis-brazil, on 09 December 2014 - 11:34 PM, said:

Did he say it was the pups? Did he swap out the pots or caps? Did adjust the pole pieces? How does it sound with volume at 6-7? What value are the caps?

its a shame but my english and guotar technical skills are limited...but he said he did check it all,.. im planing to make a video and up to youtube.. would u guys give me your opinion if its allright? cheers!

I own the 2013 and 2014 Traditional models, and they are both fantastic guitars. The only downside I can think of is the 12th fret inlay on the 2014.

In terms of sound, I would say the 2014 has the edge over the 2013. The pickups sound a little more open, but still retaining that LP warmth.

Now, as for the 2015 models.... thats a different story.. [thumbdn]

Guest Farnsbarns

im pretty sure that 2014 and 2015 pickups are differents! they have some differences, right? so u guys let volume at 8?? and tone!? im using a vox ac15c1...

Just turn the volume back in incraments and see what you think. No need to worry about what we think sounds right in our les pauls.

[quot name=Farnsbarns' timestamp='1418221147' post='1600556]

[/

View Postdenis-brazil, on 09 December 2014 - 11:34 PM, said:

its a shame but my english and guotar technical skills are limited...but he said he did check it all,.. im planing to make a video and up to youtube.. would u guys give me your opinion if its allright? cheers!

I think you were attempting to quote/reply but something went wrong. I haven't followed it I'm afraid. Did your tech try these adjustments/changes and ask what you thought? If not, might be time to find another one (tech, that is). I don't really know how else to help you, other than to say that I haven't heard of any issues specifically with these pups before.

im planing to make a video and up to youtube.. would u guys give me your opinion if its all rght?

yes, take a video... and post the link here.

there is more than enough playing talent on this forum to listen.

also try different settings on the volume and tone control on the guitar while playing.

...try different settings on the volume and tone control on the guitar while playing...

This.

The pickups you are describing are highly regarded by many who have a great deal of experience in these matters so the p'ups shouldn't be the problem.

It sounds to me as if you haven't yet explored the tonal possibilities of your rig fully.

Your particular Les Paul going through an AC-15 should sound fantastic.

If I were you I'd spend an awful lot more time testing out different settings before writing the p'ups off as 'a mistake'. They are good p'ups.

Good luck.

P.

However, to my ear, the 59 tribute pick ups sound a little bit more like the pick ups they were making in the 50s. A lot of the early Les Pauls were actually quite bright sounding.

I think so also, I use both but prefer the 59s over the 57s. I think its a simply a matter of preference. In fact I'm thinking about putting a set of 59s in an older 335 I have.

I also think when you consider the BB-Pros and the BB-1, 2 and 3, 490,498, 57+ they really all should be played to understand your own preference, and for sure it varies from player to player. So there's a lot to consider from a personal perspective.

And btw many players opt to use none of the above and go with another pick-up altogether. [smile]

That's the problem, you need a Marshall with the guitar on 10 for real Les Paul sound. Also, look at the specs, the 2014 and 2015 Trads both have the 59's in them.

It actually doesn't sound that bad, it's bright but vintage ones do sound bright. It's some of the modern ones that sound dark and heavy. Put 300k pots and a pair of 57/57+ pups in there, it will sound completely different.

I think its the same issue I ran into with "all the 59s". The individual poles need careful tweaking on the 59s. Its doesn't sound bad, but it could sound much better. The usual curve to the string radius like the 57s just "doesn't sound right" on the 59s. The high E, B, and G I adjusted different on all these 59s. The pole adjustment is somewhat closer to a staggered Strat pup on mine. And just 1/4 turn of the pole makes a big difference.

Before you change anything I would carefully set up and adjust those pick-ups.

Archived