Gibson Brands Forums

ES 137 wall hanger damage

NiceGuyEddie

hello gibsonites! I recently purchase a superb 2003 Es 1137 in heritage cherry burst with gold hardware. Plays and sounds wonderful. There is a slight amount of damage that occurred, probably from a wall hanger. The damage is more like a rough spot, where a bit of finish came. That includes the clearcoat and a touch of the color. The area is about the size of a quarter inch, right where the headstock meets the nut.Doesnt affect playability, but it is a rough spot. I'd like to fix it if i can, without breaking the bank. I'd consider just touching up the clear. Any ideas on product or procedures? Thanks.

hello gibsonites! I recently purchase a superb 2003 Es 1137 in heritage cherry burst with gold hardware. Plays and sounds wonderful. There is a slight amount of damage that occurred, probably from a wall hanger. The damage is more like a rough spot, where a bit of finish came. That includes the clearcoat and a touch of the color. The area is about the size of a quarter inch, right where the headstock meets the nut.Doesnt affect playability, but it is a rough spot. I'd like to fix it if i can, without breaking the bank. I'd consider just touching up the clear. Any ideas on product or procedures? Thanks.

Definitely would use a good luthier.

• 1 month later...

It sounds like the nitro has not hardened enough when it hung by the neck. Did it looked like somebody just rubbed the nitro aside and it wrinkled?

It happened to one of mine; and I let it dry hard and ignored it for almost a year. Got some 600 grit sand paper and carefully sanded the wrinkle out; sanded with finer 1000 to 1500 grit and then polished both sides.... good as new! There was enough clear nitro to give it a shine and invisible to the rest of the finish.

Good luck! msp_thumbup.gif

It sounds like the nitro has not hardened enough when it hung by the neck. Did it looked like somebody just rubbed the nitro aside and it wrinkled?

It happened to one of mine; and I let it dry hard and ignored it for almost a year. Got some 600 grit sand paper and carefully sanded the wrinkle out; sanded with finer 1000 to 1500 grit and then polished both sides.... good as new! There was enough clear nitro to give it a shine and invisible to the rest of the finish.

Good luck! msp_thumbup.gif

agreed...also nitro lacquer blends well and easily with nitro lacquer. You could buy a nitro lacquer "pen". Get the clear (Guitar ReRanch). Practice with a block of wood...its really quite easy and it comes out great. I bought an R6 Goldtop a few years back. It had more potholes than a New York City street. I cleaned the neck real well, very lightly sanding the spots with 1500 paper to rough it a little, then dropped the nitro. I then used 2000 and up to get it smooth then some Virtuoso polish to bring up the shine. You could'nt see or feel the spots that I "touched up"

As for any negative affect on your sound or tone?????..absolutely none.

Archived