Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson EDS-1275

PelhamBlueFire

So, I will become a Gibson EDS-1275 owner somewhere in the near future. Therefore, I am very interested what your personal experience with this guitar is. What are your pros and cons? I really like the sound of an electric 12-string, and I have been an SG fan for a long time. Versatility is very important to me, and this guitar offers this in abundance. Yeah, they are heavy and it's hard to use one for long periods, but they are just so cool. Do you guys that own them, play them a whole lot?

I have a 1978

It's a nice guitar to have for studio stuff and awing people when you walk into jam session with it. But the darn instrument is so neck heavy I would never take it out when I gig. Another thing is you only have 20 frets to work with, so if you like playing lead up high on the fret-board, well you will lose the joy of doing so.

I have a 1978

It's a nice guitar to have for studio stuff and awing people when you walk into jam session with it. But the darn instrument is so neck heavy I would never take it out when I gig. Another thing is you only have 20 frets to work with, so if you like playing lead up high on the fret-board, well you will lose the joy of doing so.

Thanks for the reply, mate. A 1978? Nice.

People do say they are neck-heavy, and I hear a lot of people suggest to buy a wide strap that locks to sort of compensate for the guitar's habbit to "dive." When you see the old videos of Don Felder with the Eagles, he looks pretty relaxed with it. What I notice, is how he wears the guitar pretty high and he keeps the necks high, as well.

I have a 1978

Sounds like a house guitar duane

• 2 weeks later...

Pro

Page, Howe and Lifeson all play them.

Con

I am never getting one due to the price and the impracticality of it.

Price can hold you back, yeah. Impractical? Well, that depends on what you want to do with the instrument. I have a lot of music - both covers and some of my band's own songs - that would benefit from me having more options than a single-neck guitar would give me. Plus, I really love 12-string electric guitars...so, enough reasons for me to buy one.

So how many songs in one gig or recording sessions are you going to need both a 12 and 6 string in the same song? If the answer is over half I would say get one. If the answer is 1 or 2. Forget it.You probably already have a 6 string electric. If you need a 12 string buy one. Why spend 4K when you may only want or possibly need the 12 string.But by all means if you have the money and must have it go for it, just post pics.

I will make sure to post pictures. I ordered it this week, and I'm really excited for the guitar.

Archived