Gibson Brands Forums

Is this a real Gibson Les Paul Hard Case?

Avenger

I am a new Les Paul guitar user. I purchased a Les Paul Studio 2014 and along with the sale, the seller threw in a hard case that he happened to obtain separately. I've been talking with him whether this is a real Gibson case or not. It looks like a nice case, has a combination lock and all, and nice interior. The thing that raises doubts for me is that the word USA on the front is in red letters. I did some searching on the web and I found a fake case, which didn't really look as nice as this one, with the word "Custom" with a star in red letters. I haven't received the case yet so I can't give you any markings inside, but I have 2 photos from the sale. If the opinions are indecisive, I will post more photos after I receive it. What do you think? I won't be too broken up if the case is an imitation since the guitar is what I really wanted and this was a throw in. Thanks in advance!

_573.jpg

_57.jpg

Nope. Doesn't look like a 'real' Gibson case to me either.

It shouldn't be a major issue, though, as you say yourself.

FWIW I keep and transport my #1 LP in a non-gibson, non-branded, nicely beat-up cheap looking case.

Occasionally I've dragged us both along to an open-mic night and having Gibson 'writ large' on the outside hereabouts is simply an invitation to thieves....

P.

Did I just read that you bought a guitar from this guy as well? I'd be less concerned about the case and more concerned about the authenticity of the guitar...

Kindly thought, brantobrien, but as the OP wrote;

I purchased a Les Paul Studio 2014 and along with the sale, the seller threw in a hard case that he happened to obtain separately...

I don't envisage there being a problem with the actual guitar.

I've yet to see a fake Studio as it's just not financially viable to counterfeit the Studio model. The financial returns are simply too small.

Furthermore many (most?) Studios of the period came with a gig-bag so any hard-shell case (the issue of counterfeiting apart) is going to be a bonus - bona-fide or not.

P.

Kindly thought, brantobrien, but as the OP wrote;

I don't envisage there being a problem with the actual guitar.

I've yet to see a fake Studio as it's just not financially viable to counterfeit the Studio model. The financial returns are simply too small.

Furthermore (counterfeiting apart) many (most?) Studios of the period came with a gig-bag so any hard-shell case is going to be a bonus - bona-fide or not.

P.

Oh god. I hope it's not fake. It comes with docs and warranty and such. It's a 2014 Honey Burst Studio. Here are some pics. Let me know ASAP if it is real or not. I too, haven't seen a copy of this version.

_574.jpg

_576.jpg

_577.jpg

_578.jpg

_575.jpg

Oh god. I hope it's not fake. It comes with docs and warranty and such. It's a 2014 Honey Burst Studio. Here are some pics. Let me know ASAP if it is real or not. I too, haven't seen a copy of this version.

Yup, its real.. a 2014.. You can tell by the 120th inlay fret and maple neck.....

(unless someone has bothered to counterfeit the inlay, which would be an extraordinary measure to go to. )

Guest Farnsbarns

Thanks! Now I can sleep at night [smile] It's too bad about the case. I would assume a worn Gibson case is worth double a worn generic case. But it's good enough to keep it in.

You'd probably find a mild solvent would remove that nasty logo, then you simply have an aftermarket case. I don't think I could bring myself to walk about with a fake case.

Archived