Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar hanging rack

moparguy

We ( my girlfriend and I) moved into a new to us house this past month ( long story behind why we moved ). At the old house I used single guitar hangers to hang some of my guitars around the room. This time I wanted something different, instead of hanging the guitars around the room on different wall studs, I searched for racks to hang multiple guitars. I clicked on Diamondlife.com and found just what I wanted. Im not advertising for them, just showing my new rack. I paid $102.00 for it which is pricey according to me but I wanted it. It holds 8 guitars turned sideways or 4 with the guitar flat against the wall, all in a 48 inch area. IMG_06971_zps84bef0c5.jpg IMG_06981_zpse303db86.jpg IMG_06991_zpsd0a1f2da.jpg Now the cases are in the attic and I have ALOT more room in the bedroom.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good rack mate, certainly helps when room is a premium. But, just to let you know, any guitar that has a set neck (glued tenor and mortis) is susceptible to damage from extended time hanging on it's own weight. Any bolt on's, fine, just set necks that's all. I see you've got a beautiful LP there. That one you might want to think about floor racking.

Looks good. Watch out hanging those Gibsons on just any old rack. The rubber might mess up the nitro. I'm not sure if that particular rack is nitro-safe. You might want to check with the manufacturer. You can always wrap the rubber supports with some cotton.

+1

I don't trust them, even for those that stipulate 'nitro safe' I use cotton.

Ir's his choice and looks like he's trying to save space in 48 in. instead of having cases all over the house

Now that for starters doesn't make any sense. He's got to put the empty cases somewhere, full or empty. If the guitars were in them he'd have the cases put away somewhere and no guitars out taking up more space. But there out on the rack, that's fine, looks like a really good rack too. It's just that set neck guitars have a nasty habit of doing over time what my luthier calls "hanging themselves". Necks can and do seperate. I'm not talking about the whole thing comming out, I'm talking about cracks starting to happen, even with the tension of the strings on. And he should know...he used to work for Gibson. So I'm not judging, I'm not telling, I'm just making him aware thats all. Because that's a really beautiful LP there.

Been hanging a few of my Gibby's for three years and no stains and no neck issues..... I wont hang any of my Gibby acoustics because they are all jumbo and take up too much space [biggrin]

P4260075b.jpg

Awww....that 1275 is just beautiful!

:rolleyes:

Knock it off guys...

Guitar stores have been hanging guitars from the headstocks since I was a kid..... I doubt permanent damage can occur.

However for ultimate protection from damaging and protecting your guitar from the elements storing your guitar in the case is the best means for protection.

Knock it off guys...

Guitar stores have been hanging guitars from the headstocks since I was a kid..... I doubt permanent damage can occur.

However for ultimate protection from damaging and protecting your guitar from the elements storing your guitar in the case is the best means for protection.

I agree, just keep them in their case nice and safe. Come on guys let's all get along, this is a great forum with a great bunch of guys.

Knock it off guys...

Excellent advise there. That's where mine stay when not in use.

As for the advise business here on this website, I think I'll just pass now and let these kids put in some decades themselves and learn like we did. The hard way.

For the record, I like Marshall Paul. I crack up reading his posts most of the time. But I gotta go with everyone else on this. My guitars have been hanging on the walls for years and have not seen them separate or crack or anything else. I am not an engineer, but I have tried to break down old furniture and stuff and most of the time the wood breaks before the glue joint does if its put together right. I don't see how ten pounds of wood is going to break that joint. Just my two cents.

I like the rack in the OP, $102 is a little pricey but it is not if it solves a problem or looks better.

I keep most of my Gibsons in their cases and other guitars on hangers and guess what? I tend to grab the ones in the hangers more often.

In my case I needed a rack for the cases and have my guitars that are not hanging out of the way so I made this for less than $15.

03E31C7D-178C-45E6-8FF0-B46E79D01129_zpsyk27r1vm.jpg

4E2855A6-920F-4D6D-B704-903F0F76D24A_zpsvjp4jawe.jpg

F59A7F3A-4C70-4213-9DE5-B43687FA99CD_zpspqtzuij6.jpg

The part that mounts to the wall is wood and aluminum, the was only $34.00, the 7 hangers were sold separate for $9.99 a piece, that's where the bulk of the cost came from, its still cheaper than any of the other multiple guitar hanging systems I saw, unless I missed one.

Archived