Gibson Brands Forums

Any opinions on the Masterbilt DR500RA?

SWD

Got a guy locally selling one in vintage sunburst. Looks good from the pics..

LOTS of abalone B) Satin finish I believe. But I don't buy 'em for bling.

I assume the RA stands for rosewood acoustic, so no electronics?

HE's got some other gear I may be able to do a package deal.

Always wanted to try one of these Masterbilts...rosewood or mahogany? hmmmm :-k

post-52016-036058900 1418409011_thumb.jpg

post-52016-010492100 1418409022_thumb.jpg

I've never seen a DR 500 RA before. Certainly. have never seen one on ebay. My impression is that they are rare. If you're not going to buy it I am definetely interested.

I've never seen a DR 500 RA before. Certainly. have never seen one on ebay. My impression is that they are rare. If you're not going to buy it I am definetely interested.

pretty sure there is going to be a line for this one

It's rosewood abalone. No electronics. From the 2004-2010 run. You don't see those too often! I think the VS handles all that abalone better than the NS. Super guitars.

Got a guy locally selling one....

Where's local? [smile]

It's rosewood abalone. No electronics. From the 2004-2010 run. You don't see those too often! I think the VS handles all that abalone better than the NS. Super guitars.

Where's local? [smile]

Epiphoneliki says these were built 2004-2005 only.

Canada...:)

Its in my budget (sorta), but just not sure I need another guitar....I can only play one at time...LOL.

I know what you mean! But if you decide against it, let us know where the ad is (if it's still there). I expect someone here (if not me!) would be very interested in picking it up. Then we might keep it in the Epiphone Acoustic subforum family. [smile] As mentioned, these beauties are pretty rarely available anywhere.

I know what you mean! But if you decide against it, let us know where the ad is (if it's still there). I expect someone here (if not me!) would be very interested in picking it up. Then we might keep it in the Epiphone Acoustic subforum family. [smile] As mentioned, these beauties are pretty rarely available anywhere.

Well I don't need another guitar but that's never stopped me before...lol

Wow! A beautiful Masterbilt, dripping in mother of pearl, and with the coveted sunburst finish. The person who owned that Masterbilt must have died! Get it! Stunning!

...it looks like Rosewood to me, those usually come with gold tuners which this has, as well as a fully bound head stock which this has also. This was one of the highest priced premium Masterbilts of the day.

What exactly is the appeal of abalone? To me it comes off as horribly garish.

Yeah, I guess it depends on the person's taste. I had to see how I liked it, though, and picked up an EF500RANS. It's certainly an eye-catcher, but for me it was just too much, too flashy, which really isn't me. So I somewhat reluctantly unloaded it. I wouldn't have if I didn't have two other Masterbilts. But the EF500MNS is perfect, and the maple EF500PNS, well, besides being extremely rare, it really sings out. I got a super deal on a Performer ME for about 100 bucks if I want to look at abalone. :rolleyes:

pfm130.jpg

its out of my price range for right now anyway

Oh, you're in Canada, too. I never saw the ad or the price. I expect it is pretty high....

I've kind of been looking for an AJ500RC, but the very few that are out there on the web are overpriced in my book. I've got guitars to play while I wait to see if one comes up reasonably priced.

Oh, you're in Canada, too. I never saw the ad or the price. I expect it is pretty high....

I've kind of been looking for an AJ500RC, but the very few that are out there on the web are overpriced in my book. I've got guitars to play while I wait to see if one comes up reasonably priced.

Cougar,

What would you consider to be reasonably priced?

What would you consider to be reasonably priced?

Well, there was an AJ500RC for sale right here on the Gibson boards back in 2010 for $600. That's a little more than I'd like to pay, but it's not really unreasonable. The only ones I see out there now, and there are very few, are asking >$800. That would seem to be unreasonable to me. I know they're rare, but I expect my like-new 2003 EF500PNS is MUCH more rare, and it was <$700.

Archived