Gibson Brands Forums

Hummingbird Question

BLACKBIRD47

First of all this is my first post here... So thanks in advance for any input you guys have! I recently purchased a 2005 Hummingbird off of ebay and it was described as a True Vintage model. The label says 60's Hummingbird on the top line and Authentic underneath that. I have done a bit of research on this model and haven't been able to come up with much. Do any of you kind folks have any information on this model? The lack of information would lead me to believe that it may be a bit more rare than a True Vintage? The best I have been able to find out is that it is a 2005 Custom Shop 60's Authentic.... I have seen a couple that have sold in the past on different sights but don't know much more about it. I got it for $1750. Not sure if that is a good deal? I am super excited to be getting a Hummingbird before this I have only had Seagulls and I currently have a Blueridge BR-40. I look forward to hearing the difference :0)

Thanks for any input and opinions!

Bill

Here is a link to the auction with photos

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gibson-Hummingbird-/151496755445?pt=Guitar&hash=item2345e908f5&nma=true&si=qYGLttQuzG8T48Gwv9Ei%252BRQaFeM%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Hello BLACKBIRD47 - This surely looks like the real deal - perhaps a forerunner of the later True Vintage Hummingbirds.

At first glance you can see it on the engraved pick-guard and the tulip tuners.

The when you look closer, the back braces should be thinner than the Standard.

Someone here will know exactly from which stage of the overall Bird development your guitar is. You know they moved slowly through many incarnations ever since the model was born in 1960.

The case has blue interior, which for the past 7 years or so has been related to the Standard version. Forget that and concentrate on the sound, feel and looks of the guitar.

You might have hooked yourself a hit. .

Another thing to notice is the neck-bindings - do they cover the fret-endings or not. .

;-)

Welcome BB. I have a Hummingbird that was made about 3 months after yours. Back in those days it was described as a "Historic" model. When I bought mine I was told that there were 450 made that year. As to price, the MSRP at that time was $3589.00. So, based on what most pay for used models you paid a fair price, provided it's in good condition. Hope you enjoy yours as I've really enjoyed mine.

During the first 3 decades the Hummingbird changed significantly 3 to 4 or 5 times (not talking bursts here).

From the early 90's a cascade of names/variations were introduced. Not sure this is the exact order, but not too far off :

Gibson 100th Anniversary Hummingbird 1994

Early 60's Hummingbird

60's Authentic Hummingbird

Historic Collection Hummingbird

then the split between Modern Classic/HCS(heritage cherry sunburst)/Standard and True Vintage

Hummingbird 50th Anniversary Hummingbird - w. golden p-guard motif

60's reissue Hummingbird - reintroducing adjustable saddle with tusq instead of ceramic saddle material

plus the 2 new maple fliers (not to mention the rosewood and koa ones). .

So there you go - a rough linear picture to place yourself in over the weekend ~ ENJOY

, , , and may other members correct and supply the list above with further expertise. .

Thanks so much for the feedback everyone! I am really excited to get this beauty in my hands! I played a 1968 Hummingbird a few years ago and was absolutely floored by the beautiful tone that guitar had, but alas I couldn't swing the 2k plus price tag at the time. I never forgot about it though. Normally I wouldn't buy a guitar without playing it first, but I had seen nothing but excellent feedback online from folks who own True Vintage models. So I took a chance. I made him an offer I thought there was no way he would except and much to my surprise and delight he took me up on it! I will post more pics and report on any issues once she arrives next week :0)

Thanks again!!

The True Vintage model came out in 2007 so as others have mentioned, it is not a TV. Aside from that, prior to the TV models there was a run of 60s Authentic Hummingbirds. The story goes that Gibson found the original moldings of the old Hummingbird pickguard casts from the 60s. They did a limited run of models featuring the "authentic" Hummingbird engraved pickguards which later became what we know today as the True Vintage model.

Don't expect your new Bird to be similar to the '68 you tried some time ago.

From 1968 and 2 years forward they got much heavier, introduced longer scale length and had the bridge turned around.

They might be related, but yours will be closer to the original first wave, much lighter and - all after individual taste - probably 'better', , , funnier to play.

Besides it will have a wider nut width (opposed to the originals).

An exciting situation to be in anyway. .

Update! I got my bird today and she is gorgeous! No scratches or dings anywhere, basically in new condition. The only issue I could find is the pickguard is lifting slightly along the bottom. As far as identification goes it say "Custom shop" on the back of the headstock and the neck bindings do cover the frets. Do all of the 60s Authentics say Custom shop on the headstock?? As far as the tone goes,, she sounds great! But I'm sure she will sound better with some new elixirs. I think it may have the original strings on it.. I will post more pics tonight. Again thanks for any feedback you can give :-)

Glad it arrived safe and sound and that you like it. Mine says custom shop on the back. That is because it was from a limited run in 2013. The True Vintage is no longer a standard production model and only available when Gibson decides to build them in limited numbers. My Hummingbird didn't sound right to me with elixirs. I like Pure Western Folk stings on mine. I have to oder them online . Enjoy your new guitar. You couldn't have picked a better model to take a chance on. Im glad it worked out in your favor.

• 1 month later...

Welcome BB. I have a Hummingbird that was made about 3 months after yours. Back in those days it was described as a "Historic" model. When I bought mine I was told that there were 450 made that year. As to price, the MSRP at that time was $3589.00. So, based on what most pay for used models you paid a fair price, provided it's in good condition. Hope you enjoy yours as I've really enjoyed mine.

I sent an email to Gibson customer support to find out more info on the 60's Authentic. They were kind enough to send a response! They said that the 60's Authentic was only made in 2005 with a small amount spilling over to be shipped in early 2006. There were only approx. 120 of these made. The MSRP was $3892 in 2005. All of the Authentics should have the Custom shop label on the back of the headstock.

Just thought you may be interested to hear what they had to say. I hope you are enjoying your Bird as much as I'm loving mine!!

Archived