Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Custom.... Prototype ?

Hopper

I have been given a Les Paul Custom to figure out the true year it was made. From everything I have found out about it, the pots were made in the 35th week of '53. This guitar has been in my family since it was new. It was given to my father in law to try it and see if he liked it because it was a new model that Gibson had just come up with. He only played a few years and then put into storage where it has been for more than 50 years. Could it possibly be the 4th prototype?http://flic.kr/p/q7N8qD

That is one Sweet Alnico Les Paul Custom....53 to 55,6 I believe these were made.. Nice Looking Guitar ....

given the pots say 53.. I think that would be about the year? whats on the back of the pickups? have you takin it apart?

if not.. dont do it.. a unmessed with Lp.. is a rare piece..

The capacitors are Grey Tigers. That is actually one of the first things I used to figure out what I was dealing with. I looked them up and it said the Gibson only used them until '56. The pots are the single notched pots which also helped me with the date before I read about the serial numbers on the pots showing a manufacturing date. The number stamped into the heel of the neck is believed to be what the dealer used for inventory because there is no number on the back of the head. The early '54's had no numbers on the head so there is no way to keep track of the instrument. I have pics inside the cavities that people have asked to see that were interested in buying it. It seems to be very easy to find people that want it, but not so easy to find people that can afford it.

The capacitors are Grey Tigers. That is actually one of the first things I used to figure out what I was dealing with. I looked them up and it said the Gibson only used them until '56. The pots are the single notched pots which also helped me with the date before I read about the serial numbers on the pots showing a manufacturing date. The number stamped into the heel of the neck is believed to be what the dealer used for inventory because there is no number on the back of the head. The early '54's had no numbers on the head so there is no way to keep track of the instrument. I have pics inside the cavities that people have asked to see that were interested in buying it. It seems to be very easy to find people that want it, but not so easy to find people that can afford it.

My original '55 Junior has a Grey Tiger cap as well.....

Archived