Gibson Brands Forums

J-15 neck thickness

shepherd

Hi!

I'm very interested in the Gibson J-15. I live a long long way from the nearest shop that carry that model and I would like to know more about the neck. Specs about the nut width and so on is easy to find but not the thickness of the neck (for example at first and 7th fret). Even Gibson couldn't answer that question so I wonder if there's a lucky J-15 owner out there who can measure the tickness. I would be very grateful. I know that they're sandpapered by hand and can vary a bit but anyway.

Thanx!

Hi,

don't have one, so I can't give you an exact answer. But a german website, which is pretty accurate on specs states, the j-15 has a "Comfort Contour" neck profile. This neck profile can be found on most standard gibson acoustics nowadays. Its a round, lets say somewhat between a d and a c-profile. Not as thick as 50ies necks, but not as slim als the slim taper profile introduced in the 60ies.

I always wonder, why so many dealers and even the gibson website (at least not on all models) don't give information on such a serious matter when it comes to personal playability preferences such as neck profile.

Happy Hunting and I hope someone will provide a more accurate answer.

Hi!

Thanks for your answer!

Yes I think it's a pretty big deal too regarding the neck profile and thickness. Some manufacturers put these data on their website but not many. I got the answer that it has a "standard profile" from Gibson. Of course one should always try the guitar before buying but reading the specs can make you see if the guitar in question can work for you.

It seems to be a killer model and in the right pricerange for me. of course I could file down the neck but it feels a bit shaky when it's an expensive nice guitar. Then also filing down the neck can affect the sound.

Thanks!!

Do you measure from the string to the back of the neck so to speak?

That's great info :). That gives me an idea about the thickness.

Anyone who can mesure without the strings (just loosen the strings and measure so to speak)? Just the "Wood-part"

Archived