Gibson Brands Forums

badbluesplayer

Congrats! I have a 90's DRRI; probably the last line they made in the States. Outside of the horrible speaker and the bright cap on the tremolo/reverb channel, I love these amps.

Since we are talking about these amps, what are some speakers you would recommend as a replacement? The problem I have right now is that as I crank the amp to it's sweet spot (around 4) the tone gets mushy. I lose the crispness of the highs and the tightness of the bass.

Nice. I borrowed one from a co-worker. He wants to sell it to me for $600.

I'd be all over that. 70s DRs have been bringing $1000 at the shows over the last couple of years. I sure wouldn't sell mine for $600. My brother in law has one that he want's $800 for and if I didn't already have one I'd buy it from him.

It should be a good one. It's been serviced by Allen Amplification, so it should be ready to go, except for a possible speaker change. It's been recapped and AB763'd, so there isn't much to mess around with. [sad]

Confused. How do you "AB763" an AB769? My understanding is that the only differences are the rectifier tube, and the associated power transformer differences.

These (AB769) DR's are GREAT amps. And, they are extremely versatile with nothing more than a speaker change.

I've had some, and I guess my favorite was a '79 that had 2 10" Rola-Celestians. Tubed it with Telefunken 12ax7's all the way across and a pair of Tung-Sol's. It was loud and smooth. Very little break up, but tons of clean without being edgy, and great "depth" and fidelity.

But, a low-powered speaker like a C-12r type will get some roar to it, if you choose 10 on the volume knob.

While at the top end, an AB769 will not crunch quite like an AB763, they are a lot closer to each other than the reissues are to the real ones.

When it comes to the classic, Fender-y clean, you know, the one that is creamy and never edgy, this is perhaps the best one.

Thats very cool I have wanted to get one of the tweed hot rods lately... What is it with me lately? Im like wanting stuff I never wanted as a youth and listening to stuff that sounds more like Dr Hook. To Funny msp_lol.gif

Well you can only pull off the metal god for so long, eh Fred Nugent? [biggrin]

Then again, Ted often used Fender amps too didn't he? [biggrin]

I am interested in hearing your progress with it....what you might do or check out.

I was never sure, but I thought the red highlights in the grill didn't snow up until later than '74. But, at the same time, I don't think there is any difference between, say, a '70 or a '79, except maybe speaker choices through the years.

I was never sure, but I thought the red highlights in the grill didn't snow up until later than '74.

You are correct. Orange grill cloth began in 1976. A 74 should be blue sparkle. Replacement grill maybe? Might wanna check the dates on the pots and trannys BBP.

You are correct. Orange grill cloth began in 1976. A 74 should be blue sparkle. Replacement grill maybe? Might wanna check the dates on the pots and trannys BBP.

I can't remember ever seeing "blue sparkle" on a Deluxe Reverb. Seen it on a lot of others. (Not that I know I am right).

Maybe we are thinking of different types. There is a type that looks exactly like this one with the red, only instead of red it is blue. There is also one as used in the very early silver-faced ones, with a little more blue and black. As in, the ones with the silver border around the baffles. Many call these "blue-faced" amps. Then, there is this more sparkly blue that overlaps, in that it is used on some amps with the chrome border, and used with some amps when the border was gone. The more sparkly blue is more common I think on piggy-back amps and cabs.

I am sure there is overlap according to what amp types got what cloth.

But, point here I would say, there are at least three different "blue" types of grill cloth, and they all have different weaves or patterns.

Back to this cloth, I have seen it in both the red and the blue, and it's the same cloth, same weave and pattern, but different colors for the vertical stripe there. Seen silver/grey, blue, red, orange, yellow. I suspect there are really two colors, red or blue, with different degrees of aging and/or cleaning.

Maybe we are thinking of different types. There is a type that looks exactly like this one with the red, only instead of red it is blue. There is also one as used in the very early silver-faced ones, with a little more blue and black. As in, the ones with the silver border around the baffles. Many call these "blue-faced" amps. Then, there is this more sparkly blue that overlaps, in that it is used on some amps with the chrome border, and used with some amps when the border was gone. The more sparkly blue is more common I think on piggy-back amps and cabs.

The drip-edge Deluxe amps (never heard them called blue-faced) had blue-sparkle cloth. So did the Princetons and Champs. The drip edge went away around 1970. Orange cloth came in 1976. No other cloths were used for 70s Deluxe, Princeton, or Champ amps. There is a similar blue and silver cloth used on some amps of the same era as well as the mostly black/white/silver cloth on the Twin Reverbs.

The drip-edge Deluxe amps (never heard them called blue-faced) had blue-sparkle cloth. So did the Princetons and Champs. The drip edge went away around 1970. Orange cloth came in 1976. No other cloths were used for 70s Deluxe, Princeton, or Champ amps. There is a similar blue and silver cloth used on some amps of the same era as well as the mostly black/white/silver cloth on the Twin Reverbs.

I think the term "blue-faced" is out of vogue. I haven't heard it much in a long while. It used to be used to differentiate the early drip-cap ones from the later ones, as in blue-faced vs silver-faced, both because they were different amps (AB763 vs AB769, etc), and also, easy in that the early drip-cap ones had more blue in the cloth. At the same time, many also said blue-faced or silver-faced interchangeably not really knowing the difference.

76, that basically conforms to my memory. As does the rest of what you say.

I do remember, and I'm sure, that before the red (orange?) cloth came in, it was exactly the same cloth but with blue. Seen a lot of Deluxes and Princetons with it. Maybe some overlap with these?

As for the Deluxe, the Twin, the drip-edge was gone before the piggy-back ones. 67 and 68 only. Never seen a Deluxe with the drip-cap and any other cloth than the first blue and black version.

What I don't know, and would be interested to know, is what cloth, if any, was used before the blue-highlight cloth on some. I seem to remember silver or no highlights, but I also am sure I have seen cloths that LOOK like plain silver-faced style but because the color had faded.

Yeah - I'm thinking the grillcloth is not original, because it's the orange stripe type and the installation seems like it's too messy to be original. I'm figuring I'll leave it the way it is for now to keep you guys guessing!

The latest xfmr date is week 49 of '73 so the '74 date is probably right. [thumbup]

Lol...and that's likely, the truth of the whole thing.

Besides, I don't think there is any real difference at all. '72, '74, '78. All the same as far as I know.

I kinda goof on these era's of grill cloth, partly because it's interesting, and partly because you can't get any of it anymore.

Archived