Gibson Brands Forums

2015 Pickups

scottpaine_69

2015 GIBSON LES PAUL CLASSIC!

I just bought a 2015 Gibosn Les Paul Classic. On your site it says the pick ups are 57's But the place I bought the guitar from and all other retailers I've checked they list the pick ups as 61's. I would like to know which pick ups are in my guitar? The pick ups seem really muddy on the low E and A strings while at heavy distorion Which is my normal sound. I've changed the eq on the amp and I still can't get rid of the muddy sound. It almost sounds like the pick ups can't catch any single notes if you are riding or muting the low E string. It does the same thing weater the pickups are split or if the 15db boost is on or off. It sounds great on all the clean channels no matter what picup you're on or if the coil split is on as well as the 15db boost. I have 2 other les pauls one with active emgs and on stock but they do not give me any problems. I know the pickups in other guitars I have are hotter but I don't think thats the problem. Anybody else have the same problem? If so, did you fix it and how did you fix it? I open to any suggestions. I've even adjusted the hieght of the pick up to the strings. I'm at a loss. Everything else about the guitar is awsome except for this one annoying issue. Help!

Hello.. And congrats on your new guitar...

Well if you have tried changing the pickup height (which is the usual suspect).. If the pups are too close they will effect the string vibration..... The only other thing I can think of is that funky new brass nut they are using.. Maybe try raising the nut a tiny bit on the low E side.

How is the action generally?

Do the strings line up over the pickup poles? (the screws on the pickup).. Do you get the same issue on both pickups?

Oh also.. maybe check how those two low strings are tied to the tuning posts.. I have seen that you need to do it a certain way for G-Force to work properly.

Hello.. And congrats on your new guitar...

Well if you have tried changing the pickup height (which is the usual suspect).. If the pups are too close they will effect the string vibration..... The only other thing I can think of is that funky new brass nut they are using.. Maybe try raising the nut a tiny bit on the low E side.

How is the action generally?

Do the strings line up over the pickup poles? (the screws on the pickup).. Do you get the same issue on both pickups?

Oh also.. maybe check how those two low strings are tied to the tuning posts.. I have seen that you need to do it a certain way for G-Force to work properly.

The nut is good along with the action. every thing is lined up over the poles. the bridge pickup is the problem. I still have the same strings and setup on the g force that gibson did. I haven't changed strings yet. That's why I'm at a loss on what to do. Never had this problem before. It only does it on high gain. I can't believe how great it sounds clean. If there was an issue I would think it would be more promonate on a clean sound because the gain hides alot of tone issues. Thanks.

The nut is good along with the action. every thing is lined up over the poles. the bridge pickup is the problem. I still have the same strings and setup on the g force that gibson did. I haven't changed strings yet. That's why I'm at a loss on what to do. Never had this problem before. It only does it on high gain. I can't believe how great it sounds clean. If there was an issue I would think it would be more promonate on a clean sound because the gain hides alot of tone issues. Thanks.

Hmm.. Donno... As you say its odd that it sounds great clean.. but that usually indicates a problem if you get an issue with the clean sound...

Maybe use less distortion?? :)

The only other thing I can think of is to email Gibson Customer Service and ask them... Not sure how they will react to this kind of issue as it can be many things as obviously every player has a different set up and playing enviroment. But they usually answer fairly quickly..

Also there are guys on here that know WAY more about this sort of thing than I do so maybe wait a bit and see if anyone else chimes in...

Or maybe just try a simple string change then? (or just those two bottom ones) Its sometimes the simplest answers that usually work...

If it really bothers you maybe you can take it back and try some different ones in the shop... (make sure you test it through a similar or the same amp as you have at home)? I think its worth being fussy when it comes to this..

Oh and we want to see pictures.. :)

Hmm.. Donno... As you say its odd that it sounds great clean.. but that usually indicates a problem if you get an issue with the clean sound...

The only other thing I can think of is to email Gibson Customer Service and ask them... Not sure how they will react to this kind of issue as it can be many things as obviously every player has a different set up and playing enviroment. But they usually answer fairly quickly..

Also there are guys on here that know WAY more about this sort of thing than I do so maybe wait a bit and see if anyone else chimes in...

Or maybe just try a simple string change then? (or just those two bottom ones) Its sometimes the simplest answers that usually work...

If it really bothers you maybe you can take it back and try some different ones in the shop... (make sure you test it through a similar or the same amp as you have at home)? I think its worth being fussy when it comes to this..

I sent an email to gibson a few days ago i'm still waiting on them to get back to me. Thanks. I'll get up some pics soon.

I can't get any pics up on here yat but here is a link to my facebook pics. of it. https://www.facebook.com/scott.vancamp.3/media_set?set=a.818461738196783.1073741836.100000988930297&type=3

Gibson E-mailed me back about the pickups in my 2015 Gibson Les Paul Classic. The said they are a 57 classic in the neck and super 57 in the bridge. All the retailers still have them listed as haveing 61 tributes. I guess i'll go with what gibson says but I don't understand how at least 10 differant retailers list them as being 61 tributes.

Archived