Gibson Brands Forums

Bone saddle on EJ 200

philfish

In 50 + years I have never heard any appreciable difference in sound when moving between saddle materials unless you are talking about a fretwire or wood saddle after which anything was an improvement. I have heard a difference going from an ill-fitted to properly fitted saddle though.

In 50 + years I have never heard any appreciable difference in sound when moving between saddle materials unless you are talking about a fretwire or wood saddle after which anything was an improvement. I have heard a difference going from an ill-fitted to properly fitted saddle though.

Bone is a myth.

rct

This may be the case here, going from a Ill-fitted plastic to bone

Bone often will make a difference but it's up to the owner to decide if it's in his or her favor. As for Epiphones coming stock with bone saddles, I thought that was reserved for the Masterbilt line and higher. I would imagine certain "bone inspectors" offered up a fine slice of human error. :-"

1418772611[/url]' post='1603379']

Bone often will make a difference but it's up to the owner to decide if it's in his or her favor. As for Epiphones coming stock with bone saddles, I thought that was reserved for the Masterbilt line and higher. I would imagine certain "bone inspectors" offered up a fine slice of human error. :-"

Saddles on some Epi's are described as "synthetic bone". I sold an EJ200 artist to someone who took it to have a bone saddle installed and was told it already had one. I never changed the original. I sent a request to Epiphone to find out what "synthetic bone" actually means, and got no response. I Think it might be bone dust, compressed somehow, but that's just my thoughts. You definetly can't see the obvious pin marks that an injection molded saddle would have. Who knows, My Dove and EJ sound awesome the way they are, so I'm gonna leave them the way they are.

Saddles on some Epi's are described as "synthetic bone". I sold an EJ200 artist to someone who took it to have a bone saddle installed and was told it already had one. I never changed the original. I sent a request to Epiphone to find out what "synthetic bone" actually means, and got no response.

It sounds more mojo-y than "nylon", which is what most synthetic bone is and has been since the 50s.

I Think it might be bone dust, compressed somehow, but that's just my thoughts. You definetly can't see the obvious pin marks that an injection molded saddle would have. Who knows, My Dove and EJ sound awesome the way they are, so I'm gonna leave them the way they are.

Exactly. The guitar and the audience don't know what the saddle is made of, and neither cares.

rct

Saddles on some Epi's are described as "synthetic bone". I sold an EJ200 artist to someone who took it to have a bone saddle installed and was told it already had one. I never changed the original. I sent a request to Epiphone to find out what "synthetic bone" actually means, and got no response. I Think it might be bone dust, compressed somehow, but that's just my thoughts. You definetly can't see the obvious pin marks that an injection molded saddle would have. Who knows, My Dove and EJ sound awesome the way they are, so I'm gonna leave them the way they are.

Synthetic bone..is Nubone. This is a cheaper derivative of tusq, both are hard plastic and both are made by Graph-tech. Nubone is often mistaken for REAL bone..because it looks just like bone in color....can be compensated...shows file marks as bone does when it is sanded and fitted, and under a flash light, shows iridescent and opaque light the way bone does... and it sounds just wonderful! It is found today on many guitars between $200 and up. ...Eyeball a Nubone saddle or nut and it will look like bone....it even looks more like bone than Tusq.

Nubone is found on my new Epiphone AJ220S. Almost indistinguishable from bone. And sounds like dynamite...I would never change it out.

To learn more about this new product called Nubone...see this link.

http://www.graphtech...s/brands/nubone

Archived