Gibson Brands Forums

Just bought a J15 for my first guitar ever

ubet28

Hello i just bought a J15 for my first guitar ever. I am looking forward to learning how to play it. I know some might be like why spend so much on first guitar well a few reasons 1.) i have always wanted a gibson. 2.) I figured i wanted to buy something in the middle of road that i could grow into.. 3.) If for some reason i dont get into playing like i expect i will i will simply store the guitar and pass it on down to my first born grandchild who is not born yet.

Now I am a total noob here But i want to get a good set of studio monitors to play through. My plan is to use a focusrite 2i2 plugged into my 2014 macbook pro 2.2 im gonna use garage band for now.. I have been looking at the JBL 305 & 308 not sure really on what to buy. I will take any advice or recomendations on speakers interface cables any thing i may need. I would like to only buy once dont want to just waste money but would like the best bang for the buck. I would like to get the stuff ordered tonight or in the morning so i could have the stuff by this weekend. I understand as far as the speakers go i should go demo as many as possiable. But i just dont have the time to do so. I have watched multiple youtube videos and dont feel i can go wrong with the JBL but thought i would ask in here to see what responses i get. Thanks and have a great night..

That is a very nice guitar you have. I got one when they came out. I love it. I agree with FB. Wait awhile on that other stuff. You may change your mind what you want as your playing progresses.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Rob

was wondering that myself. ..

unless you're jimi hendrix incarnate it's gonna be a year or so until you'll be able to bare the racket you're gonna make :D

I wouldn't wanna hear a tape of me from 30 years ago

ha..i have a bootleg vinyl from about 30 years ago...from a guy called Blind Boy Grunt....and it's pretty good..even Dylan like [wink]

Hello i just bought a J15 for my first guitar ever. I am looking forward to learning how to play it. I know some might be like why spend so much on first guitar well a few reasons 1.) i have always wanted a gibson. 2.) I figured i wanted to buy something in the middle of road that i could grow into.. 3.) If for some reason i dont get into playing like i expect i will i will simply store the guitar and pass it on down to my first born grandchild who is not born yet.

I did the same thing at 58 years old, about 9 months ago. I had no idea how to play, bought a Yamaha, decided I liked to play, went and bought a J-15. Now $5k later I'm having a blast. The good thing is that guitars will,always have value so it's a true investment.

Congrats on the J-15, you will love it.

Enjoy that great guitar! And all the money has been made on the first three frets. Youtube is your friend for learning how to play songs you like - google away!

My favorite music to listen to and play always seems to be simple and pure, whether newer or older...

Ryan Adams

Ray LaMontagne

Dylans - (Jakob and Bob)

Eagles

McCartney

Stills

Bromberg (not easy!)

Lightfoot

Any blues - G C D or E A B

Clapton

JJ Cale

Jackson Browne

Tom Petty

Little Feat

Dwight Yoakham

TVZ

Lyle Lovett

Nitty Gritty Dirt Band

M. Ward

Have fun!

Regarding all those complicated chords and playing... you know the joke about what's the difference between Jazz and Country Rock... one is three chords being played for a thousand people...

Now I am a total noob here But i want to get a good set of studio monitors to play through. My plan is to use a focusrite 2i2 plugged into my 2014 macbook pro 2.2 im gonna use garage band for now.. I have been looking at the JBL 305 & 308 not sure really on what to buy. I will take any advice or recomendations on speakers interface cables any thing i may need. I would like to only buy once dont want to just waste money but would like the best bang for the buck. I would like to get the stuff ordered tonight or in the morning so i could have the stuff by this weekend. I understand as far as the speakers go i should go demo as many as possiable. But i just dont have the time to do so. I have watched multiple youtube videos and dont feel i can go wrong with the JBL but thought i would ask in here to see what responses i get. Thanks and have a great night..

Interesting first post Ubet. I agree with Flatbaroque and BlindBoyGrunt - you should consider holding off on creating a studio with electronics in 3 days after purchasing your first guitar. Assuming you have a life (job, family, etc) it will probably be a year before your neighbors want to hear your playing. I know the question was "WHAT should I buy?" and not "SHOULD I buy?" but since you added the qualification of wanting to get the most bang for your buck - you opened the door to hearing a different answer! . G'Luck.

I am with others. No need to put electronics in your signal chain unless you got a gig comig up. Just appreciate the simplicity of the acoustic and learn how to pull music out of it with your fingers. But I am envious. That is one heck of a first guitar. For many of us our first acoustic had tuners that kept slipping and an action so high you could put your hand between the strings and fingerboard.

I wasnt really thinking about being good or making album. More was under the assumption to get the trueist sound out of my computer it need to be run through a interface. I guess i figured how can i practice correctly with out it. I am green folks. Kids are raised. Always pay cash and always buy the best i can afford.. I ended up buying the JBL 305 with apollo twin interface. The guitar is something i have always wanted to learn. But never had the time or means to put forth a honest effort. I work hard to play harder.BUt thanks for the advice from the ones that posted. And if anyone has and suggestions for helping me learn and grow pleas speak up. If i have to i will get guitar lessons but i am self taught on just about everything i do so i want to atleast try myself first.

If i dont need these things to learn with a computer i will cancel my order. But if they will benifit me i will keep them. I have the extra cash i and its not gonna be missed. Please dont take this the wrong way. Not trying to be arrogant or anything. I dont want to waste money but i also am not affraid to spen it if will help. Thanks

Some other things i enjoy are going to church, music, tattoos, golf, fishing, and i am avid bow hunter & 3d shooting compations.

Im 37 with 3 kids twin boys 20 and a daughter thats 19. The boys are done with college & my daughter just started none live at home anymore. They all lived with me as a single dad from the time they were 10 & 9

Im a union machinest for caterpillar live in IL & love life and to have fun now that i actually can. When i was younger i had to be a adult so im kindda like a big kid now did things in reverse.

Thanks for your time and have a great day..

I wasnt really thinking about being good or making album. More was under the assumption to get the trueist sound out of my computer it need to be run through a interface. I guess i figured how can i practice correctly with out it. I am green folks. Kids are raised. Always pay cash and always buy the best i can afford.. I ended up buying the JBL 305 with apollo twin interface. The guitar is something i have always wanted to learn. But never had the time or means to put forth a honest effort. I work hard to play harder.BUt thanks for the advice from the ones that posted. And if anyone has and suggestions for helping me learn and grow pleas speak up. If i have to i will get guitar lessons but i am self taught on just about everything i do so i want to atleast try myself first.

Some other things i enjoy are going to church tattoos, golf, fishing, and i am avid bow hunter & 3d shooting compations.

Im 37 with 3 kids twin boys 20 and a daughter thats 19. The boys are done with college & my daughter just started none live at home anymore. They all lived with me as a single dad from the time they were 10 & 9

Im a union machinest for caterpillar live in IL & love life and to have fun now that i actually can. When i was younger i had to be a adult so im kindda like a big kid now did things in reverse.

Thanks for your time and have a great day..

Congratulations on your guitar, J-15's are great.

Everything that you will need to learn guitar can be found here:

http://www.justinguitar.com/

Justin's an Aussie based in the U.K, and he's the guy the record industry turn to to teach their "stars" to play guitar, but you can have it for free!

Ian

...If i have to i will get guitar lessons but i am self taught on just about everything i do so i want to atleast try myself first.

I have the extra cash i and its not gonna be missed. Please dont take this the wrong way. Not trying to be arrogant or anything. I dont want to waste money but i also am not affraid to spen it if will help. Thanks

Some other things i enjoy are going to church, music, tattoos, golf, fishing, and i am avid bow hunter & 3d shooting compations.

At 37, you are a lucky young man to be financially independent. Stay smart and don't get into consumer debt. Save for retirement, and have fun in the meantime. We never know when our life could be turned over, or the Lord call us home. Buying yourself a nice guitar is a reasonable reward.

Take Lessons, even if only for one year. It will speed you ahead in your guitar playing. When you know a ten or a dozen chords find some friends at Church who you can play with. You don't need to play in front of the congregation until you are ready. Just play with them while they practice. Nothing will speed your learning more than lessons and playing with somebody.

Enjoy your music. It can be a real blessing.

Ubet, you don't need to run the guitar through the computer to learn to play. Use the computer for some instruction or find some chord diagrams, but practice the old fashioned way, put your fingures on the stings and strum.

I agree and I know I did what you are talking about doing and I bought several things last year fro Christmas and have not even touched some of them. Practice as much as possible, I am not a great "practicer" so that part is hard for me but I am going to try and bear down after Christmas. Welcome here and great first purchase, Enjoy yourself.

UBet, spend the $ on lessons instead of fancy electronics. Your progress will be exponential compared to what you'll achieve by trying to teach yourself. Your satisfaction will increase at the same rate. Two years from now, you'll feel you've 'earned' the fancy gear. For every decent guitarist out there - I'd bet there are 10 who are wash-outs because they thought they could buy a great guitar and fancy gear and teach themselves. G'Luck.

Ubet, I am self taught, too. Once you find a good chord book or diagrams, repeat the major chords over and over and over, until you're ready to puke, then repeat them again, every day for at least an hour. Once you get past the blisters and build your callouses, and get proficient with your chords, see if there are others that you know to play with. (my weakness is that I don't have anyone to play guitar or mandolin with, so I have bad habits and it is not as fun). Nice guitar, it will bring you many years of enjoyment.

Doug [thumbup]

Ubet, you don't need to run the guitar through the computer to learn to play. Use the computer for some instruction or find some chord diagrams, but practice the old fashioned way, put your fingures on the stings and strum.

OK TY

I agree and I know I did what you are talking about doing and I bought several things last year fro Christmas and have not even touched some of them. Practice as much as possible, I am not a great "practicer" so that part is hard for me but I am going to try and bear down after Christmas. Welcome here and great first purchase, Enjoy yourself.

OK TY

UBet, spend the $ on lessons instead of fancy electronics. Your progress will be exponential compared to what you'll achieve by trying to teach yourself. Your satisfaction will increase at the same rate. Two years from now, you'll feel you've 'earned' the fancy gear. For every decent guitarist out there - I'd bet there are 10 who are wash-outs because they thought they could buy a great guitar and fancy gear and teach themselves. G'Luck.

OK i apprichate the advice. Have a great night.

Ubet, I am self taught, too. Once you find a good chord book or diagrams, repeat the major chords over and over and over, until you're ready to puke, then repeat them again, every day for at least an hour. Once you get past the blisters and build your callouses, and get proficient with your chords, see if there are others that you know to play with. (my weakness is that I don't have anyone to play guitar or mandolin with, so I have bad habits and it is not as fun). Nice guitar, it will bring you many years of enjoyment.

Doug [thumbup]

Thanks for the advice. I apprichate it.

Archived