Gibson Brands Forums

OJ plugged into large PA

markwillplay

Here are a couple of songs from a gig last night on a large full PA. Taken with my zoom from a distance.... what do you think of this plugged in sound? No harm can be done, tell me how bad or good you think it is. It is really an evaluation of the pickup through a nice pre into a big full PA (think 500 capacity)

So, I found myself saying "Where's the Beef?" on the first song - the Paul Simon tune. Seems that the mix had the bass rolled off a bit far, but it might be these little Apple notebook speakers. Now, on to the next song... much better sound - still a tad lite on the low end, but man oh man what a great song !!! New To Me (dated yer uncle - great line) excellent excellent excellent [thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup] song has everything going - great lyrics, great singing, great playing style - I was so absorbed into the song that I forgot what you asked us to listen for - went back and tried it again for a second time, still forgot, so I guess the guitar/PA/sound mix wasn't at all distracting on that track. What a flipping wonderful song ! Loved it.

Thanks. Might be your speakers...I don't hear lack of low end myself, but may be. I am using a K&K though the mach 2 (K&K pre) with the OJ. I have a couple that I am uploading with another guitar and I will post that too. I was asking because there was a guitar player there with another band who was VERY GOOD (electric player) and he was asking me about the rig. He said it shocked him how good it sounded.

going back and listening to 50 ways, I just think that the guitar is balanced. I am not hiting that low e sting much or really getting on it...and, I think that some people blow up the low end on solo players to an unrealistic sound if you know what I mean. I have a frequency squashed down there on the low end too to prevent any feedback issue. Could have probably let it fly.

However, this is key... that guitar is very balanced and not at all overpowered by lows acoustically. HOnestly, I think the pickup is giving me pretty much what the guitar is. My other guitar has lows that overcome the mids and trebles and I think that can give a big warm sound but scooped as well if you know what I mean. I will put that one up in a bit. Sounds good in the lower tunings (so brings out more lows). The Gibson actually handles low turnings quite well. I think it is because it is more mid rangy. That deep low that feels so good in your lap (and I like that too) does not boad well with K&K pickups in my experience.

I would still like to at least try the lyric once....if I did not have to buy one (ha ha ha ha)

ere is one with my other guitar. It is tuned to open D but capoed at 4th fret. Sound man was sleeping on this one I think becuae the guitar is not hot enough...but then again, I wan't stanging in the room listening and it was very quiet while I played this one. someone needs to use my ZOOM...duh

and this one

ere is one with my other guitar. It is tuned to open D but capoed at 4th fret. Sound man was sleeping on this one I think becuae the guitar is not hot enough...but then again, I wan't stanging in the room listening and it was very quiet while I played this one. someone needs to use my ZOOM...duh

and this one

Your songs are really, really good!

that guitar is more bottom heavy acoustically as well relative to the mids and highs. Does not have the mids of the Gibson. It shows even through the K&K. Can give trouble with My PA so I really have to pull the lows back. Always sounds pretty good on real big PA's.

Thanks for the compliments on the songs folks.

I think the sound, playing, and singing, and songwriting are outstanding and nothing short. What box are you using for the harmonies? Really cool.

I don't see how you play so natural without flubs - really professional.

New To Me and especially Imperfect Man need to be marketed.

Dig my way... when you start I feel like you are going to go into 52 Vincent Black Lightning :)

Again, not to blow smoke - but bravo. And the sound is perfect - it has plenty of low end.

I think the sound, playing, and singing, and songwriting are outstanding and nothing short. What box are you using for the harmonies? Really cool.

I don't see how you play so natural without flubs - really professional.

New To Me and especially Imperfect Man need to be marketed.

Dig my way... when you start I feel like you are going to go into 52 Vincent Black Lightning :)

Again, not to blow smoke - but bravo. And the sound is perfect - it has plenty of low end.

I agree with everything above. Couldn't have said it better. Certainly one of the finest performances posted here, and there have been some real good ones. Love Your Voice. Love your playing. Love the OJ. Love New To Me.

Keep us posted about where you play. You are the kind of artist I would go out to see.

Red 333

Thanks for the kind words. I actually have this OJ up for a trade if I could get a smaller body that I loved. No offers close and I don't imagine I will let it go. I have played a couple smaller bodies recently that were more comfy and they sounded really good. Having said that, I am having the OJ set up and the bridge routed to slightly wider the spacing to 2 1/4. As far as getting my music out, this is certainly one of the ways to do it. Those songs are newer and not on my cd . I plan on recording agian at some point, but that is only if I can make enough traction to do it. This is not a hobby for me, it is my living and very difficult. We'll see. By the way, my website does have my calender and I would love to get into the home concert arena. Those are great opps to play your songs and give stories behind etc... Have guitar will travel my friends (ha ha).

interestingly enough, I have way more songs that I would record on a full length cd, so choosing is always tricky. But in the back of my mind, I have an incling that my next project will be produced in a more acoustic way. Some songs lend themselves to that, and others don't. I have been thinking that it would be neat to just record them in acoustic demo fashion and sell that on the road as well. All kinds of ideas, but in this business right now, the name of the game is playing live and getting paid for it. Honestly, that is the way it is down here at the bottom and up there on top. And taking a full band on the road is a much bigger expense than most people realize.

I enjoy recording songs to let them be all they can be, and there are nearly endless possibilities and opinions on what songs need to sound like to live to their musical potential. I also love to play in a solo or duo sitch to present the songs the way they were written (for the most part).

Archived