Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone check these Power Pins out?

kidblast

Why haven't we heard about these before?? According to the video(?) they have been around for a couple years. Maybe its time to ditch the brass end pins on the J200 and install a set of these puppies. I hope a search of several musical instrument sites will let me compare price. They do look nice by golly.

Okay... it looks like you can only get them from the manufacturer...so I ordered a set in Gold ($49.95 + free shipping) I'll let you know how they sound when they get here. The ad says if you don't like them you can get your money back...so.... Thanks for posting this info...

MERRY CHRISTMAS & HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME!

These only work if you have a tall saddle….otherwise, the string break angle becomes very flat, because you loose the extra angle of the string slot and the string going down into the pin hole…..

yes wily, quite true,...

One thing that worries me a bit about the installation is how these will fit into many pin holes. It almost looks like you might need to ream the holes to fit the threaded boss on the bottom of the string holder (don't know what terminology to use for these things). The cutaway installation drawing shows a pronounced taper in the pin holes.

Bob Colosi, for example, has a variety of pin diameters and tapers on his website, but this is clearly a "one size fits all" installation.

Why haven't we heard about these before?? According to the video(?) they have been around for a couple years. Maybe its time to ditch the brass end pins on the J200 and install a set of these puppies. I hope a search of several musical instrument sites will let me compare price. They do look nice by golly.

Okay... it looks like you can only get them from the manufacturer...so I ordered a set in Gold ($49.95 + free shipping) I'll let you know how they sound when they get here. The ad says if you don't like them you can get your money back...so.... Thanks for posting this info...

MERRY CHRISTMAS & HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME!

Happy Birthday Bill!

Please let us know how this turns out, interested in your results.

There is never a shortage of individuals, playing on others' insecurities, who are willing to separate people (unnecessarily) from their money. Let's see which major guitar manufacturer starts using these because "they work" and make their guitars sound better. Pass.

Thanks for the wishes guys... I truly appreciate them. I hope everyone here has a Merry Christmas also. I will write up a report when the bridge pin replacement parts get here. I hope they work on the J200. They say they will give you a 100% refund if you don't like them. So in the words of the late great Richard Pryor..."We will see...we will see."

The power pins arrived today. KInd of disappointing given the price. I expected a little plastic case with some foam maybe. Nope..a plastic bag with all the parts and an allen wrench. A simple set of instructions were included for the non-mechanical.

Installation took about 1/2 hour because the low "E"pin didn't like the end winding on the string. I had to replace it with another .054 with a smoother winding. The the low "E' and "G" buzzed horribly...so I took all the strings off again and slid a piece of .020 X.030 plastic under the bridge. Problem solved!!

Sadly it doesn't sound one iota different than it did before. Was it worth the $49.95?? Not to me, but it looks really cool now. I also have a set of brass end pins I can now use on another of my acoustics

IMG_0344_zps4eb72bb2.jpg

IMG_0345_zpsedd4fccd.jpg

IMG_0346_zpsd5767595.jpg

IMG_0347_zpsd5b0a1f4.jpg

• 2 months later...

I got my set of Power Pins and I had my guitar tech put then on my Gibson J-15 which is a very good sounding guitar

I liked how they played real loose and very easy to bend strings for steel guitar licks

but my wonderful sounding guitar lost so much volume and tone that I had my tech take them right off

on the positive side great for leads but they are coming off my guitar by tomorrow

Remove this thread and any trace of an advert for these things before some other poor bugger , who maybe can't afford to be throwing money away, gets conned into thinking they're a good idea.

Yeah. Then get yourself some fossilized walrus ivory pins. :rolleyes:

There is a bit longer and a bit more heated argument going on about these thing over on the AGF if anybody here ventures over there. If you want to hear from the designer of the contraptions He's spending his time with those fine people.

There is a bit longer and a bit more heated argument going on about these thing over on the AGF if anybody here ventures over there. If you want to hear from the designer of the contraptions He's spending his time with those fine people.

Link? Not a member over there. Did a quick look and didn't see it... but can't search without registering. Thanks!

Keith

Link? Not a member over there. Did a quick look and didn't see it... but can't search without registering. Thanks!

Keith

A little late but try this.......http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=321183

Archived