Gibson Brands Forums

Hummingbird Pro - Opinions?

thesandman00

Hi, new to the forum and looking to get some opinions on this guitar. I just purchased one this past Saturday, and I'm having some second thoughts about it. I love the looks, and the sound is amazing, but I find it difficult to play. The neck is thicker than I'm used to, the action seems much higher than I'd have expected, and there's an awful rattle from the preamp/electronics. I really want to love this guitar, but I'm struggling with it. Anyone have experience with one of these, and if so, did you have any of these issues?

Hi. sorry to read your post.

The neck may just take a week or so to get used to , only time will tell with that one.

As far as high action , a set up will cure that. You could tackle it yourself if your handy , check out frets . com for a guide to what needs done. its not rocket surgery but its always better to give it to a pro though .

The rattle could be a number of things , a loose wire inside or battery pack or something , check the jack socket / endpin nuts etc.

A buzz or rattle could be a few things that don't seem to be from the location of the sound , if that makes sense.

start at the top and work down the guitar .

let us all know how you fare.

good luck with it

Did the guitar get a setup? Gibsons come with a pretty high action from the factory so it can be set up to the individual needs of the player. I think its a shame that some of the big stores in the business don't even think about to do a set up for the buyer. Most of the time its just: out the door with the thing. if you bought online the guitar most probably did not get a setup. If thats the fact, take it to a good luthier and have it set up to your liking.

Regarding the neck: I'm not sure if you will adjust to the neck. I recently sold a Es 335 mostly because I could not live with the neck profile (in my case it was to slim for my taste).

But maybe if you have it set up to your liking, in your case lower the action. maybe you can adjust to the neck. This is a pretty personal matter, so nobody can answer your question but yourself.

I had one. The quality , sound and looks were great. The only thing I could get used to was the combination of a narrow nut and long scale. You should be able to get a good setup and eliminate the rattle by taking it back to where you bought it or if on line, swap it. The feel is something you can adjust to or not.

Get a setup. The action on mine was a little high for me but that was easily fixed.

The rattle is likely to be easily fixed at the same time.

Then give yourself some time to see how you get on with the neck.

Don't be hasty.

I love the combination of narrow nut and long scale, but that's just me.

Thanks all for the replies! The input is greatly appreciated.

I bought the guitar from a Guitar Center physical store (got it off the wall for a discount), but I'm guessing that it didn't receive much of a setup. I do notice that in the 7-11 fret range, I'm getting a slight fret buzz on the G and B strings. Wondering if the neck could be adjusted to allow for a lower action or if it's set there because it can't be set any lower? The rattle I referenced in the first post is definitely from the electronics. This model has the Fishman Prefix which flips completely out of the body. Seems like it doesn't fit snugly into the body, which is the cause of the rattle. Wondering if that's something I'd just have to live with...

I went back and forth between this one and the J-45. I've wanted a J45 for years, but ultimately went with the HB Pro because of the cutaway (for playing leads). I played pretty much every acoustic they had up to 2500 and for me, nothing had near the tone of the Gibsons.

Archived