Gibson Brands Forums

De-Floyd a Floyd

LarryUK

I've posted before that I can't get on with with my Floyd Rose on my Charvel. This is interesting. Has anyone used this or similar?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFtAUR60X7E

I posted a pic of mine in your NGD thread the other day, when you brought up your Charvel:

J8LdkN7.jpg

5BGhV62.jpg

2I3ZGZE.jpg

(Ignore the routed wood here, that was my attempt at making more room for pull-ups.)

I opted for just a regular bone nut as opposed to that giant thing the guy in the video used. It might not look as pretty, but it works flawlessly. A set of good locking tuners helps too. Stays in tune, less compressed sounding and more bass than the Floyd. String changes are obviously much simpler now (just like any regular trem).

If you can afford the $200, it's a Great upgrade. Schaller's model name for it is "Vintage Tremolo", and you can get it in any number of finishes.

The one pictured above is on my own MIJ Charvel SoCal (with other mods).

-Ryan

I read the OP as wanting to have a trem - just not a Floyd. I could be wrong though.

Yeah, he said in a previous thread that the Floyd is too bulky under his hand. The Schaller is much lower profile; very much like a modern Strat trem.

-Ryan

My Jackson had a Floyd. I plated over the cavity, created a new control cavity to move the knobs to the correct location (Jackson - stop putting them in the way of the picking hand!), moved the neck to allow use of the original posts, created a heel, set the neck in, and repainted it and then coated it with lacquer.

It yielded a guitar that looks like it was built the way it is, and that I am much happier with, but this may be too much work for most people.

Oh, yeah, I had to recontour the wings, too, the tips were pretty badly damaged.

Can one of these direct replace a floyd Rose?

They're made for regular trem post spacing, Fender modern or vintage. Not to mention Floyd posts are completely different. It won't fit. The only non-locking option I'm aware of is the Schaller I mentioned above. Floyd Rose also makes the non-fine tuner trem, which still locks at the bridge end but not at the nut.

-Ryan

Got real Strats with Seymour Duncan Antiquities and Super Vee Blade Runners.

Those Super Vees are great - but I guess they don't work with Floyd posts. Either way I'd say a set of locking tuners is helpful. There was no mention of those in the Guthrie Govan vid. I wonder what he's using - especially since he's floating the trem.

Those Super Vees are great - but I guess they don't work with Floyd posts. Either way I'd say a set of locking tuners is helpful. There was no mention of those in the Guthrie Govan vid. I wonder what he's using - especially since he's floating the trem.

Pretty sure he uses locking Sperzel's.

-Ryan

Archived