Gibson Brands Forums

Hummingbird not very cherry anymore?

Jesse_Dylan

Hi folks!

I am planning to buy a new Hummingbird this summer.

Not that I have much choice anyway, as I think the Modern Classic is the only one on the market at the moment, but I think I actually prefer the sound of the Modern Classic version anyway (yes, even over the TV).

Anyway, if I want a Modern Classic, it seems like my only choice of finish is the Heritage Cherry Sunburst. It is looking very "faded" these days, as in not very cherry anymore! I have also seen other Hummingbirds with Bright Cherry and also Dark Cherry. And, even the standard Heritage Cherry Sunburst seems to vary from model to model. Can someone of you Gibson historians explain this to me? I guess I never noticed until now.

I guess what I like is the more cherry-looking ones, like the ones with a redder, more defined red. Some just look completely yellow. Others look a little more like honeyburst (although I know that is something else entirely).

When I buy, I might not have a whole lot of choice. If I buy locally, there will only be one Hummingbird at any given time, if even one. I might also head to Music Villa in Bozeman which might have more than one, but.... don't know! I will be trading in a whole bunch of stuff towards it, so it really has to be my local shop (assuming they'll take my stuff) or Music Villa, who are kind folks and will take all my stuff.

Any advice?

Music Villa would be your best choice if you can make the trip.

You should give Fuller's Guitar in Houston a call to see what they have.

If you fancy maple Montana is doing a modern classic style bright red cherry maple hummingbird at this time.

Which is partly historic ( they did a batch of maple hummingbirds in 1963)

Gibson seems to only use the bright cherry on historic stuff or special editions but the standard line mirrors a mellowed out hummingbird in some cases and in others more of a brown finish.

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Acoustic-Instruments/Square-Shoulder/Gibson-Acoustic/Maple-Hummingbird.aspx

Wildwood guitars has a maple version in stock. if not check with Fuller's or music villa

JC

Music Villa would be your best choice if you can make the trip.

You should give Fuller's Guitar in Houston a call to see what they have.

If you fancy maple Montana is doing a modern classic style bright red cherry maple hummingbird at this time.

Which is partly historic ( they did a batch of maple hummingbirds in 1963)

Gibson seems to only use the bright cherry on historic stuff or special editions but the standard line mirrors a mellowed out hummingbird in some cases and in others more of a brown finish.

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Acoustic-Instruments/Square-Shoulder/Gibson-Acoustic/Maple-Hummingbird.aspx

Wildwood guitars has a maple version in stock. if not check with Fuller's or music villa

JC

I'll be trading in a bunch of stuff, and I don't want to ship anything. Music Villa is a long drive (10 hours) but doable! So I will probably stick to Music Villa or my local shop.

I had looked at Wildwood's and might consider their New Vintage models! Even though I think I like Modern Classic just as well... But Wildwood won't take all my trades, and, again, I'd have to ship it (or drive a heck of a lot further!).

I really like the look of the maple versions, but I have to admit, I am really partial to the sound of the mahogany Hummingbirds.

To be honest Jesse I understand your wanting of a darker cherry colored Hummingbird. The looks of a guitar are important to many people. I bought a new Hummingbird last year, a Modern Classic. When I got it I thought it wasn't quite as colorful as other Hummingbirds I had seen pictures of online. But then I realized I was looking at guitars from years ago and that the color was more red back then. You can get that darker red in the maple version, but if mahogany is more to your liking then buy that version since ultimately once you get used to the color of your guitar you'll be more interested that the sound be what you like. I find my Hummingbird to be very colorful, all I have to do is open the case on my natural colored tops and that's all she wrote.

I like the sound of a maple guitar, which is why this year I bought a J-200 standard, which is also no slouch in the looks department. So now I feel I have the best of both worlds in owning the Hummingbird with it's spruce and mahogany sound, and the 200 with it's maple and spruce sound.

Whatever happens, you will not regret buying a Hummingbird. I waited way too long to buy mine. I like looking at it, but like the sound of it even more. Good luck and let us know how this all turns out.

I will be trading in a whole bunch of stuff towards it, so it really has to be my local shop (assuming they'll take my stuff) or Music Villa, who are kind folks and will take all my stuff.... Any advice?

Trading in stuff is awfully convenient, but man, you're likely to take a beating. Of course, with selling stuff online nationally, shipping it out is typically a real pain. And there's a price you pay to ebay, et al. Craigslist or a local newspaper with free ads could get you a much better price for your stuff than trading it in, and it avoids the shipping. If you're in a small town, you might try putting a craigslist/newspaper ad in nearby towns or cities....

Can someone of you Gibson historians explain this to me? I guess I never noticed until now.

Hey Bird watcher - Gibson always flirted with variations of their coloured tops. And it's easy to understand why they (and the aerosol-painter) would like to present different bursts.

1/ So tempting to turn up the red, go honey, hit the edge of caramel, find the border-zone between amber and mud etc. .

2/ Add to that a vision of giving the various waves of models unique identities over the decades.

In fact a very cühl factor about the Gibson lines (and it counts for fx Dove back'n'sides as well).

See it as a charm - but be serious about your wish. Looks are and will always be a part of the Hummingbird-pleasure and a wrong or even slightly strange burst will be issue of concern simply because the hue is so vital a part of the - on an almost psychological level - H-bird satisfaction. ;-)

I had a Modern Classic/Std. for 14 days in January 2013. It had so little red in the blend that it would be the 'yellow Bird' had it stayed in the collection.

The guitar sounded good and I passed it on for another reasons. .

Important to say it never would have pleased me in the same way as the stunning orange-brownish True Vintage, which btw is an echo of a 60's faded Bird.

Ergo - think and feel twice, , , and go second-hand if you can't be or love the one you're with.

Of course there a chance you might learn to dig what now seems a strange burst.

You and only you can clear that one for yourself - and it's actually a part of the challenge. . .

Lots to reply to!

Yeah, I really like all the bursts. I'd be okay with any Hummingbird I'd ever seen. However, in my mind, there has always been "the" Hummingbird, and yes, I do have to say that the physical appearance of the Hummingbird is a big part of what attracts me to it and why I've always wanted one. I want a mahogany/spruce with the Gibson square-shoulder sound, am attracted to how it's designed to be sung with, like the comfort and fun and sound of the short-scale... But I have always been attracted to their apperance, or I'd just look for a Sheryl Crow or some other non-bling version of the Hummingbird. :)

I also have my Martins to consider, and I like a lot of variety, so I really want it to be cherry. Then again, it will look different from my Martins (vintage sunburst, ambertone, amber sunburst) even if it's one of the all-yellow ones. It just doesn't seem like a Hummingbird to me if it doesn't have some red in there. I've always wanted a red guitar. Not 100% red... but cherry sunburst. :) I guess I just never noticed that the Heritage Cherry Sunburst has crept more and more toward a faded cherry sunburst.

I'm pretty sure I'll get a new one, but it would be tough for me to find a used one around here anyway--unless I got all the way to Music Villa and they have some used ones in stock, in which case I would definitely want to try them out! I do like the idea of being the very first owner of my Hummingbird, too, though.

The thing about my trade-ins is that not many folks are interested in them. They are all fairly low-key items. I could try Craig's List or whatever, but I don't know if I want to wait around and wheel/deal with local folks (fairly small community), and the nearest larger town is 90 miles away. I think it would be a lot easier just to get rid of everything in one fell swoop. I've had it for years and really just want to liquidate. I think Music Villa will be pretty fair with me! No, I won't get maximum dollar, but that's okay.

Wildwood Guitars, Sweetwater and a few others let you browse Hummingbirds by serial number rather than just with generic photos. It's interesting to see how much the finish can vary on the Modern Classic! I like all of them, but I like some more than others, and I'd be a little sad not to have any choice in the matter.

Looking over them, the average seems to be what I had in mind, a very clear red to yellow kind of taper. Some have darker red, some have barely any red. It seems like I am totally fine with what is considered heritage cherry sunburst (as opposed to the bright cherry and dark cherry); it's just that from amongst the various heritage cherry sunbursts, I prefer some to others. I really like the redder ones a lot! I guess that is what I have in mind when I think Hummingbird, but it doesn't necessarily have to be a bright cherry.

Hi folks!

I am planning to buy a new Hummingbird this summer.

Not that I have much choice anyway, as I think the Modern Classic is the only one on the market at the moment, but I think I actually prefer the sound of the Modern Classic version anyway (yes, even over the TV).

Anyway, if I want a Modern Classic, it seems like my only choice of finish is the Heritage Cherry Sunburst. It is looking very "faded" these days, as in not very cherry anymore! I have also seen other Hummingbirds with Bright Cherry and also Dark Cherry. And, even the standard Heritage Cherry Sunburst seems to vary from model to model. Can someone of you Gibson historians explain this to me? I guess I never noticed until now.

I guess what I like is the more cherry-looking ones, like the ones with a redder, more defined red. Some just look completely yellow. Others look a little more like honeyburst (although I know that is something else entirely).

When I buy, I might not have a whole lot of choice. If I buy locally, there will only be one Hummingbird at any given time, if even one. I might also head to Music Villa in Bozeman which might have more than one, but.... don't know! I will be trading in a whole bunch of stuff towards it, so it really has to be my local shop (assuming they'll take my stuff) or Music Villa, who are kind folks and will take all my stuff.

Any advice?

Hello and welcome! ...My advise? Don't buy the ugly dull brown honey burst Hummingbbird. You will deeply regret it. If you look at my icon of my Hummingbird, it looks almost sweet orange, an offshoot of cherry. In reality it is a very dull, drab, boring fall asleep brown, so don't let the picture fool you. It is washed out and dull looking. You want it to be cherry red like its label says....is is not. You will not be happy with it. ..I own one..the ugly honey burst version makes me sick every time I look at it.

While I love the guitar, and how it plays and sounds....I wanted and needed that Hummingbird tone..that's why I bought it. But it's color is sheer boring. I thought I would get used to it....I never did. It's ugly. Every time I look the weak drab color I get sick. Who the el wants a drab brown Hummingbird? You will note that Gibson makes a much nicer color bird in the new vintage and true vintage versions. They charge much more for those. My guess is that is why the beautiful cherry red was moved from the standard Hummingbird to the higher priced models. More money charged.

I will likely be flamed for this entry...like I care...but I own a drab brown Hummingbird and you asked for advise on the cherry color. My advise is Don't buy it. You will not be happy. Better off with a nice J-45, at least that has a decent color. Good luck ... GL

Hello and welcome! ...My advise? Don't buy the ugly dull brown honey burst Hummingbbird. You will deeply regret it. If you look at my icon of my Hummingbird, it looks almost sweet orange, an offshoot of cherry. In reality it is a very dull, drab, boring fall asleep brown, so don't let the picture fool you. It is washed out and dull looking. You want it to be cherry red like its label says....is is not. You will not be happy with it. ..I own one..the ugly honey burst version makes me sick every time I look at it.

While I love the guitar, and how it plays and sounds....I wanted and needed that Hummingbird tone..that's why I bought it. But it's color is sheer boring. I thought I would get used to it....I never did. It's ugly. Every time I look the weak drab color I get sick. Who the el wants a drab brown Hummingbird? You will note that Gibson makes a much nicer color bird in the new vintage and true vintage versions. They charge much more for those. My guess is that is why the beautiful cherry red was moved from the standard Hummingbird to the higher priced models. More money charged.

I will likely be flamed for this entry...like I care...but I own a drab brown Hummingbird and you asked for advise on th cherry color. My advise is Don't buy it. You will not be happy. Better off with a nice J-45, at least that has a decent color. Good luck ... GL

Thanks, and you're right, that is the kind of advice I want! I did own a J-45 for a while (black one) and did not really connect with it. I liked it a lot, but I didn't love it, and I just have too many guitars to play them all, so off it went. Nothing wrong with it at all, but I love that square-shoulder mahogany sound and the look of the Hummingbird. And because of that, I've always wanted a cherry sunburst guitar--but I had not really researched heritage cherry sunburst or what color Hummingbirds actually are in reality!

Looking at the photo of yours, at least in the photo, I would be cool with that. But I guess photos are sometimes brighter than the reality, huh? It sounds like you think it is much browner in reality than in the photo, and if that's the case, I likely would be a little disappointed. I already have brown and black sunbursty guitars and am really wanting something more along the lines of cherry this time.

If I liked the sound best of a True Vintage, I'd be okay with the upcharge, especially if I liked the finish better too. :) I was under the impression Gibson was no longer making the True Vintage models, though, just the Modern Classic and then the various special editions like that maple one? I'd be okay with a special edition, too, if it was for a good reason, but as much as I love the maple ones, I really want mahogan.

I will likely be flamed for this entry...like I care...but I own a drab brown Hummingbird and you asked for advise on th cherry color. My advise is Don't buy it. You will not be happy. Better off with a nice J-45, at least that has a decent color. Good luck ... GL

There is a simple solution for your problem: sell your 'bird, and look for another one closer in appearance to what you want.

Or, you could always get yours re-finished to a color you prefer, if you think the sound of yours is something that can't be duplicated by another 'bird of the appropriate color.

To some extent, the variety of "faded" 'bird colors we see today is an homage to what happened to many 'birds and J-45's built in 1960's. When the cherryburst was introduced, the red dye used by Gibson on a lot of guitars in this period seems to have been very color-unstable and susceptible to fading, often as a result of being exposed to UV, but sometimes apparently as a function of the passage of time. For a lot of people, the faded or amberburst look is both handsome and evocative of the look of a 40 to 50 year old cherryburst finish.

Of course, all cherrybursts--and solid cherry finishes on electrics in the same period--did not fade in the same way, so you see a number of variations on it today on both vintage and modern guitars.

The change of color over time is not limited to the cherryburst finish. I have a 1968 ES 335-12 that was a standard sunburst, but has faded over 45+ years so that in some light it looks almost like the modern amberburst. (Remember that the brown used in the sunburst finish is a composite color made from primary colors, including red. When one component of that color fades over time, the character will change.)

Do guitar finishes no longer fade like they did in the past? I do like the idea of a sunburst fading over the years.

The more I look at the various heritage cherry sunbursts, the more I like it, and it seems like the non-cherry (where it's mostly yellow) are fairly rare. Maybe I overreacted. Or, at least, on internet guitar stores, they look great. Maybe in person they all look really faded and brown :P Hope not!

Do guitar finishes no longer fade like they did in the past? I do like the idea of a sunburst fading over the years.

Guess we have to wait and see, , , lords allow us to stay around.

But don't forget the lacquer is in process too. All in all the guitars will presumably turn softer and warmer and by that funny enough sharper and cooler. .

Now go for that heritage cherry sunburst square. .

The natural finishes definitely change color (get darker), faster depending upon amount of UV, found that out! They get tanner indoors, more so in sunlight, and if you take them outside and have them in indirect sunlight (try to avoid direct), holy moly they tan fast.

Sort of curious if sunbursts will fade in the same way.

If you go to Musician's Friend's website, it will show you some of the actual guitars they have in the "Private Reserve" section with serial numbers. Also, if you call them they may have a few more not shown because of the difficulty of putting all of them on the web. The #10554090 serial number looks fairly dark. The "Limited Edition Hummingbird Rosewood" looks damn sweet.

Also, you may want to check out the "Limited Edition Iron Mountain Advanced Jumbo." Frickin' sweet as well.

Thanks, and you're right, that is the kind of advice I want! I did own a J-45 for a while (black one) and did not really connect with it. I liked it a lot, but I didn't love it, and I just have too many guitars to play them all, so off it went. Nothing wrong with it at all, but I love that square-shoulder mahogany sound and the look of the Hummingbird. And because of that, I've always wanted a cherry sunburst guitar--but I had not really researched heritage cherry sunburst or what color Hummingbirds actually are in reality!

Looking at the photo of yours, at least in the photo, I would be cool with that. But I guess photos are sometimes brighter than the reality, huh? It sounds like you think it is much browner in reality than in the photo, and if that's the case, I likely would be a little disappointed. I already have brown and black sunbursty guitars and am really wanting something more along the lines of cherry this time.

If I liked the sound best of a True Vintage, I'd be okay with the upcharge, especially if I liked the finish better too. :) I was under the impression Gibson was no longer making the True Vintage models, though, just the Modern Classic and then the various special editions like that maple one? I'd be okay with a special edition, too, if it was for a good reason, but as much as I love the maple ones, I really want mahogan.

Yes I would say that the photo of my 2013 Hummingbird is rather deceiving. The truth is that they photograph in a complementary way, but they look far more dull than the photos appear to make it. While I have photographed my Hummingbird many times, looking for the best shot...they all came out looking like it has a sweet almost sunset orange look. In person, straight on with the eye, it is brown without even a trace of sunset color. This is what disappointed me. I did not expect to find a brilliant red Hummingbird, but hoped for a little more sweetness in color.

As I have said, the guitars sound, tone, and action are all simply delicious. The color...not so much.

I was not interested in the new vintage, or true vintage, they keep changing what they make. I wanted the Standard Modern Classic mahogany Gibson Hummingbird. And so I wanted a Mahogany body only, not maple, and so to get the bird I was forced to take the only color available...nicely marketed... "Honeyburst...and... Amberburst. ...Not. ...They are dim brown. I will live with the color...but I will never like it.

Here is a nice clip of both a Cherry hummingbird as well as a non burst normal colored Hummingbird both on the same stage playing "Angie" ...I still prefer the classic cherry burst found in the video, but to each his own!

I've noticed my cherry sunburst 1964 J-45 Custom Shop Reissue photographs a lot redder than it is in person. The same might be true with all or many of the cherry sunburst Hummingbirds. I compared my reissue to an original side by side and their cherry sunburst is the same. Unless the original changed over the years. The only very bright cherry sunbursts I have seen are on the Epiphone Hummingbirds which are not nitro finishes.

Just my 2 cents.

Jazzman Jeff aka QM

Rainbow Guitars is another 5 Star Dealer that posts the actual pictures and s/n, and the guitar they send you is the one you select. They have a couple of 'cherry' H'Birds now.

I believe The Color Red is a little strange in terms of the color spectrum and how it is perceived by the human eye. For example, if you look at the red display on your nightstand clock, the red numbers will look like they are floating. Red paint, balloons, etc. all fade more quickly. Guitars, like most things, look different depending upon the light they are in. Photos can obviously be misleading, even if it is only unintentional on the part of the photographer. Guitar Light, you noted the drab, ugly brown color of your H'Bird ... I wonder if you saw the guitar before you bought it or were looking at a picture?

I agree with ESPGNIO - I bond with my guitars after realizing I am basically color-blind when it comes to the Fifty Shades of Red. The first day I had my H'Bird, I was disappointed it wasn't redder, but then realized color wasn't the reason I bought that guitar.

And, I agree with Em7 that the variation in shading i a Big Plus. I wouldn't be as happy if the burst were spray painted by robotics and a computer program.

Yeah, that Angie video really nails it, not just for the look of the Hummingbird but "the sound" as well!

I'll check out Rainbow Guitars, too. I agree, when looking through a wide swath of them, there is an "average" to them all, and I do think I will get one I'm happy with, as long as it's not an all-yellow one. :) But of course the question is, do I like the look of them because of lighting/photography, and do they look entirely different in person? Since I'll be buying locally (either literally locally or 9 hours away in Bozeman), I'll be able to see and play before I commit. It will just be a bummer if I only have one choice and I don't like the color. But in that case, maybe I could complete the purchase but get them to order one in and even ship it to me if necessary and sort of specify hopefully what I do and don't want. I am not one of those folks who think Gibson puts out a lemon once in a while, so I'd be okay with buying before playing as long as there is at least a short approval period.

this has turned out to be a really interesting thread!

I wonder why gibson doesn't offer more color options for the h'bird, like they do on the j-45.

Here are some pictures of my TV bird.

IMG_5350_zpsbc9e9dc2.jpg

IMG_5261_zpsff02effc.jpg

IMG_5270_zps5a14d931.jpg

IMG_5343_zpse9c03d7d.jpg

and yes, its the same guitar in all the pictures.

and I sometimes dream about having it refinished to a natural top.

and yes, this all doesn't mean a thing, when I play it.

Yeah, that Angie video really nails it, not just for the look of the Hummingbird but "the sound" as well!

I called the Angie Bird vinoburst, but have later realized it's caused by the dim studio-lighting. It IS cherryburst under brighter circumstances.

But do you realize the essence of the Sherlock-thread, , , the fact that the overall yard-stick for 75 % of all Hummingbird-sound discussions is that intro (plus other Stones material) and that Angie might have been played on what the majority of gibsonites disregard the most :

A plastic bridge with adjustable ceramic saddle !

, , , and do you btw realize there was a version in between the original interior and the double-X incarnations.

Not sure when I read your comment in the Hummingbird-thread - talking 'bout the single-braced, but significantly bracing from 1968 to 70.

Let the research continue, , , it would be good to reach the exact scientific realities while Richards is still among us. .

I guess it was the other thread where someone posted the video of Angie, but that is exactly the sound I think we all have in mind when we want the Rolling Stones Hummingbird sound, and I do think that is achieved through the type/age of strings, the nut/saddle, and the recording equipment, moreso than any differences in bracing between various Hummingbirds (with the exception being the '70s/'80s ones with the double x-brace--can't imagine they sound the same!).

Don't forget the touch of Mister Keef himself. .

and I sometimes dream about having it refinished to a natural top.

For heavens sake don't -

1/ It would be playing hazard with the tone. (But the thought is dramatically interesting - same guard ?)

2/ It's gorgeous as is - by the way a slightly 'candier' burst than all mine. .

Archived