Gibson Brands Forums

2015 ES-335 Prices???

ScaryLarry

Just looked on Sweetwaters site and a Gibby ES-335 Dot Plain Top is $2999. Satin Faded's are $2499. Figured $3299. Artist models more and Studio's much less. I own a BB King Lucille and it is pardon my French - "The Sh!t"

They are 2014 according to the serial numbers at Sweetwater.

Does that mean your Lucille is good or bad???? ;-)

The Lucille is quite good. It has more of a solid body feel to it than the 335 does so it's all in what you like.

You'd just better quit torturing yourself and get one of each.

You know I am tempted! I wish I could play both. I do have a deposit on a new ES-335 Dot Figured Gloss but could still change my mind.

Go for an older one with the ebony fret board. I picked up mine used for $1800, sold it for $2000 and then bought the same guitar back for two grand. It won't be sold again!

The Lucille's neck is a bit stouter than the 335 but if you have large hands it shouldn't matter much.

Of the 335's I have played, the satin finish ones always sound better to me. More bite and smoother all at once. The gloss ones look beautiful but...at least with the ones I've played, the glossy ones seemed to sound kind of dark in comparison. I ended up with a used 2010 satin red one that I polished to a near-gloss. Looks and plays great!

In the end, go for the one that speaks to you. You'll know it when you pick it up!

DSC_9404.jpg

The 2015 lineup is at the Gibson webpage now. Thankfully it doesn't look like any of the "upgrades" from the Gibson USA line have sneaked their way in. Except an ugly truss rod cover.

Thankfully yes. Interesting changes. I dont think they will make people freak out too bad. I like the BB 1 and 2 . Meh about block inlays. Bone nut was a good upgrade.

The Studio is a great idea, glad to see that in the ranks. Otherwise the move to blocks is a weird one - reminiscent of the way Les Pauls are marketed in that if you want the classic spec you're forced to spring for an expensive reissue. Also there don't seem to be any single cut thinlines: no 137s, no 225 reissue?

Of the 335's I have played, the satin finish ones always sound better to me. More bite and smoother all at once. The gloss ones look beautiful but...at least with the ones I've played, the glossy ones seemed to sound kind of dark in comparison. I ended up with a used 2010 satin red one that I polished to a near-gloss. Looks and plays great!

In the end, go for the one that speaks to you. You'll know it when you pick it up!

DSC_9404.jpg

Woo! That looks good. I have one of the Trans Black ones, think mine's a 2010 as well (at work, so can't check). The back of the neck has gone glossy like that, and I'm sorely tempted to polish the rest of it... I think you might have just pushed me over the edge!!

Archived