Gibson Brands Forums

Anybody looked into these?

Cougar

I finally took my dad's 1939 Zenith Masterbilt down to my master tech to get some work done, and during the course of an hour-long BS session about guitars and everything else under the sun, including Loudon Wainwright III and the OJ trial, he turned me on to Blueridge guitars -- gave me a pretty good sales pitch, in fact. I guess he's a distributor or something. Anyway, I said I'd look them up. All solid wood acoustics. Rosewood or mahogany. Some acoustic electrics with Fishman electronics. Lots of apparently available choices. Dreads, slope-shoulders, 000's, naturals, vintage bursts, even vintage bursts with abalone. They're in a niche up above the new higher end Masterbilts, but with some significant overlap, I guess. Anybody with any experience with these, heard about them...?

I had one, a BR-180. To be fair this was about 7 years ago so things may have changed by now but mine went bad really quick. The neck twisted, binding started to lift off of the heel and the headstock if I remember right. The local shop had a lot of issues with them and ended up cutting ties with the brand. I ended up getting a refund for mine, but often wonder what the new ones are like as it did sound nice in the beginning. I had an Epiphone Masterbilt AJ500M and for the reasons above I wouldn't consider them any better if at all than the Epiphone line. I used my Masterbilt for 2 years without a hitch, the only issue I had with it was it was sensitive to humidity changes... I can't say the same for the Blueridge. If you decide to get one I'd recommend buying from a store with a good return policy.

I had one, a BR-180. To be fair this was about 7 years ago so things may have changed by now but mine went bad really quick. The neck twisted, binding started to lift off of the heel and the headstock if I remember right. The local shop had a lot of issues with them and ended up cutting ties with the brand. I ended up getting a refund for mine, but often wonder what the new ones are like as it did sound nice in the beginning. I had an Epiphone Masterbilt AJ500M and for the reasons above I wouldn't consider them any better if at all than the Epiphone line. I used my Masterbilt for 2 years without a hitch, the only issue I had with it was it was sensitive to humidity changes... I can't say the same for the Blueridge. If you decide to get one I'd recommend buying from a store with a good return policy.

Heh, good advice. I just noticed a lot of their even more expensive models are select mahogany or rosewood back and sides, which I take to mean laminates. There are all-solids, though too. I've got a couple of nice EF Masterbilts myself, and I'd been kind of looking into a Martin OMCPA4 (a bit out of my price range) when Tom went off on these Blueridges, especially the ones with pre-war X-bracing, etc. Thought I'd give 'em a look.....

I did check them out, there is some confusion there as to solid wood and laminate the BR163 has a solid Sitka spruce top and solid select indian rosewood. Last time I checked the "select" woods were indeed laminate and that way to much money for a laminate guitar. Most of what I've read were that they are mostly Martin copies and for 1500 I'd sooner buy the Martin.

Most of what I've read were that they are mostly Martin copies and for 1500 I'd sooner buy the Martin.

I gotta agree, although I don't have $1500 for a Martin. It's a tough life. :rolleyes: But I'm not looking for a Martin copy. I do like that Martin OMCPA4 though, which is like the EF500 Masterbilt, 1.75" nut, all solid woods.... They occasionally come up in the $800 range. On a good day. Then another guitar came up that I've been looking for awhile that I'm not even going to mention. I am torn. Torn.

I gotta agree, although I don't have $1500 for a Martin. It's a tough life. :rolleyes: But I'm not looking for a Martin copy. I do like that Martin OMCPA4 though, which is like the EF500 Masterbilt, 1.75" nut, all solid woods.... They occasionally come up in the $800 range. On a good day. Then another guitar came up that I've been looking for awhile that I'm not even going to mention. I am torn. Torn.

I do hope the other wasn't a Taylor!!!! GOD NO

Archived