Gibson Brands Forums

anyone know what this is

Motherofpearl

I say it's real, just horribly refinished is all. And it's not a '58 because it only has 19 frets.

Remember folks, if someone sent a guitar back to Gibson for "REPAIR" in the 60s they often times had NO IDEA what they were going to get back. They didn't take originality into account whatsoever. If you were presented the task of fixing up someone's living room in a hurry, you'd think nothing of scabbing 3/8" sheetrock over the old plastered walls, putting up a drop ceiling and hiding/destroying the copper tiles that have been there since 1904, and ripping out the light fixtures for the sake of track lighting. You, and everyone around would ooh and ahh at what a wonderful job you did, and 50 years from now old house enthusiasts will be wishing they could go back in time and throttle you.

And this motif is not exclusive to British Columbia:

Johnny_Cash_Gibson.jpg

I say it's real, just horribly refinished is all. ...

MAYBE .(big maybe) . . . . The description says: "All original parts and finish. No repairs. Natural wood colour." .Right.. I noticed the wings, but I wouldn't buy it, even if the seller explained what the heck he's talking about.

I'm pretty confident it's real, even though mis-identified and horribly screwed up. I think you can even see a couple of the original tuner screw holes just peeking out from under whatever those tuners are.

I'm guessing it is somewhere between 1952-1954, but it has been so buggered that without seeing it in the flesh to look for things like the FON, you couldn't be sure. The backstrip appears to say "J-50", which means you could, with a clear conscience--and it you were so inclined--re-finish it back to natural. Hard to judge how much board wear there is, or what the nut width is.

Depending on what a first-hand inspection showed, I might give the guy $1000 for it. Or not.

Archived