Gibson Brands Forums

Holiday Greeting Video

Red 333

OK, unlike my past two holiday videos, this one is not strictly acoustic, so if amplifiers bother you, stop reading right now (but have a happy holiday anyway).

Since I didn't have enough time this year to woodshed a finger-picking arrangement and fool you good folks in thinking I can play better than I really can, I decided on a simple song. And then I made the fateful decision to tart it up with a lot of overdubs.

Since I know your interest is in Gibsons, I picked a guitar that would emphasize the strong rhythm part I would be playing. I decided to use a much maligned sixties spec (and Lennon signature) J-160E with a laminated top and ladder bracing. What's a better rhythm guitar than that? The sound you hear is it's natural acoustic sound mixed with it's P-90 pick up through a clean amp, as I suspect that is how it was often recorded.

I don't have proper music editing software, so I played the J-160E, an Epiphone Jack Casaday Bass, an ES-335, and electronic drums separately (sometimes to a click track), and combined them in my video editing software. Since I could not hear the other instruments easily while I was recording this (unlike the way you can with music editing software), the rhythm is a little wonky. Or that may have been the wine.

Last excuse: it's been a while since I sang out loud. I used to quite a bit when I was younger. Lesson learned: use it or loose it.

Anyway, happy holidays!

Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas, Pomplamoose-style

Thanks, folks! Your kind words are the best Christmas present I could hope for.

Sal, thanks for gathering up all the Christmas song links in the other thread. I'd forgotten that I posted them on vimeo, and was wondering why I couldn't find one of them on YouTube!

Red 333

...Good to see one of the gang do a video with high production values...[thumbup]

Merry Xmas

Thanks, flatbaroque. I have the equipment and experience to that. What I don't have (and admire) is the talent and hard-won ability that folks like you, Buc, Nic, Mark, Sal, Dan, Anne and so many other on this forum have, which is so clearly obvious even in an iPhone video.

Happy Holidays!

Red 333

very groovy for sure!!! [thumbup] [thumbup]

Dig the acoustic..... Next year I;m gonna get me one of those

Yeah, the amplified sound is very cool. Very cutting and sorta archtopy.

The sound on this recording is a blend of the J-160E miced, and its P-90 amplifed clean. It's strung with pure nickel strings, and this way, the acoustic sound is not very loud, not very dynamic, and not very rich.

I have not strung this particular guitar with phosphor-bronze strings, but I have my solid topped J-160E Standard. It's amplified sound sounds more like a traditional acoustic-electric with those strings, and it certainly sounds more like you'd expect a Gibson slope shoulder acoustically.

Merry Christmas, Duane.

Red 333

Archived