Gibson Brands Forums

Out of tune Seagull

ksdaddy

I've got an old S-6 cedar, a 1998. I think I bought it in 2006 for $100. It just occured to me that I'm not sure if that guitar has ever been in tune. The truss rod is spot on, the nut is low and the slots don't drag, the strings have been changed a few times since purchase...admittedly not all that often. It's been kept in a consistent environment, maybe never optimum but at least no radical changes. If it lands on one room it tends to stay in that room at least a month.

I can even use a digital tuner, and I've gone so far as to check the strings open vs at the 2nd, 3rd, frets and so on. Not saying it's perfect but it's never 'out' enough to point to a problem. I think it has 12-54 on it, something like that. Never a radical gauge change either.

Guaranteed when playing it I will be fiddling with the G, B, and E tuners before long. It's a good old thumper and it irks me that it never seems to be in tune. I think it has Ping tuners....whatever they put on it in Princeville is what it has, sealed tuners, seemingly not junk....but could be I suppose.

Ever have a guitar that just refuses to tune?

I've got an old S-6 cedar, a 1998. ...

Ever have a guitar that just refuses to tune?

Weird. My 1997 S-12 cedar stays in tune quite well.

The only guitars I have ever had refuse to tune were these cheap Epiphones we have at school for students. Acoustics and electrics - 3 of each of each that retailed for $99. Cannot tune them to save your life - they are truly awful.

Yeah.. A friend of mine was given one of those Emily Strange SG Epiphones...

He was telling me about the tuning issues... I went and tried it and like you I couldn't see anything physically wrong with the guitar and can only assume the tuners are total crap.. Wouldt stay in tune even for a few minutes...

I will be changing them out for him at some point so we will see.

yea I've had a few that just are more stubborn than others.

In one case it was discovered the nut wasn't installed quite right. the measurement was ridiculously small (mm) but the fix was remove the net, and remove a small slice of the fretboard, and reinstall. That helped a great deal.

Archived