Gibson Brands Forums

Bojotar

j45nick

So, what won't they think of next?

I'm not standing in line for this one, but I can see the BluesKing playing one of these in his back garden, driving his obnoxious neighbor crazy. This thing should probably be banned on general principle.

My link

You mean me me?

Hear about the best pickup for a banjo? (Ford F250).

Besides, I can drive everyone crazy with just this one:

Dobro1a_zpsa100bffc.jpg

BluesKing777.

Edit: a plain ole drum kit would maybe break em.....yesterday they had a kiddies pool party that went from 11 am til about 11 pm....no consideration for anyone as they think they live on 2000 acres somewhere.

So, what won't they think of next?

I'm not standing in line for this one, but I can see the BluesKing playing one of these in his back garden, driving his obnoxious neighbor crazy. This thing should probably be banned on general principle.

My link

I rather LIKE that instrument. Reminds me of the National Reso-glas with the "Gumby headstock"! But then again, I dig 3-string cigar box guitars also, which when amplified can be annoying to some !?!

Looks as if it could be one of those geeks that is so specialized it paints itself up in a corner, but then chosen for the right task would take the tune through the roof. .

The idea is certainly worth a go.

~ ❖ ~

BK777 - the light-red skin-color and the sunflower orange in the middle of the guit-chrome is the Bach-trompet of your picture.

Makes a blowing chord with the purples and greens. .

As far as I am concerned, noisy nieghbors are a guitar players dream.

And bad neighbors? I have never seen any reason to loose a war with nieghbors. I can make more noise, park more Caddy's, whatever it takes. I choose peace.

But...if I was going to loose, it would be to a banjo player.

This here looks like the weapon that might change the game. An electrified badly constructed banjo played by a guitar player is enough to bring any nieghbor to the negotiating table.

As far as I am concerned, noisy nieghbors are a guitar players dream.

And bad neighbors? I have never seen any reason to loose a war with nieghbors. I can make more noise, park more Caddy's, whatever it takes. I choose peace.

But...if I was going to loose, it would be to a banjo player.

This here looks like the weapon that might change the game. An electrified badly constructed banjo played by a guitar player is enough to bring any nieghbor to the negotiating table.

There's always bagpipes...

There's always bagpipes...

Ex-smokers and bagpipes - probably end in a hospital visit with some kind of rupture.

The area I live in is totally sensational, beaches, open space, etc, or I would just plain old move out!

They might like bagpipes and then we are in the dog stuff, aren't we?

No, the sweet revenge is simple - Barry Manilow cd collection from KMart with the replay function ON and the stereo on FULL through my Tannoys..........and then we could go out for an hour or 5....... The council at a local drug buying street used this method to clear the street with success - they piped Barry in 3 or 4 spots!

BluesKing777.

BK777,

I remember catching a TV episode that played here in the states I think it was called Ozzie's World or something like that. It was about the Osbourne family and their struggles to survive living in their shack in Beverly Hills.

The episode that had me rolling on the floor was when Ozzie's new neighbors decided to actually use their tennis court. All hours of the day it was balls bouncing and people grunting. I think Mr. Osbourne finally put an end to the incident by throwing a frozen turkey over the fence onto the court in the middle of a Wimbledon reenactment.

By the way, I PM'ed you, if you choose to take notice.

Cheers,

FMA

BK777,

I remember catching a TV episode that played here in the states I think it was called Ozzie's World or something like that. It was about the Osbourne family and their struggles to survive living in their shack in Beverly Hills.

The episode that had me rolling on the floor was when Ozzie's new neighbors decided to actually use their tennis court. All hours of the day it was balls bouncing and people grunting. I think Mr. Osbourne finally put an end to the incident by throwing a frozen turkey over the fence onto the court in the middle of a Wimbledon reenactment.

By the way, I PM'ed you, if you choose to take notice.

Cheers,

FMA

Yes I got the PM thanks - I am currently watching the cricket and will action the photo in a break in a mo.

Sorry to hijack your banjo tar thread, Nick, but for the U.S. readers, cricket is like a nice sleeping pill and a game of baseball that goes for about 25 days non stop with someone like baseball commentator, Bob Carpenter, also voted as sleep inducing, calling the game..... some kind of therapeutic dozing disturbed by crowd screams when something happens....which depending on who's playing could be a real long snooze...

BluesKing777.

Sorry to hijack your banjo tar thread, Nick, but for the U.S. readers, cricket is like a nice sleeping pill and a game of baseball that goes for about 25 days non stop with someone like baseball commentator, Bob Carpenter, also voted as sleep inducing, calling the game..... some kind of therapeutic dozing disturbed by crowd screams when something happens....which depending on who's playing could be a real long snooze...

Yes, well, one of the guys who works with me is Australian, and another is English, so I've probably watched more cricket than I care to think about, including parts of the Ashes. Cricket and baseball are both right up there on the snooze-inducing sports list for me.

We don't have one of those, but we have both of the other two instruments in the set: the bandro and the dobrass. I don't have a picture of the bandro on the internet -- perhaps I will post one later -- but we do have a picture of a dobrass.

My wife maintains three sets of basses: large (standard 3/4 basses); medium (shown below); and small (Ashebury, u-bass, etc.) Large are all acoustic, medium are mostly acoustic, and small are all electric.'' The dobrass is acoustic.

bassess.jpg

The standup bass in the middle is a 1/4 Kay -- for environments where a 3/4 would overpower the room or the other instruments. Next to it on its left is the dobrass -- note it is an actual Dobro brand, so a true Gibson. It is for environments where the bass needs to sound sort of like a garbage can.

When you ask my wife why she has large, medium, and small basses she will tell you that you would not expect a mechanic to have only one tool in the tool box.

A true story -- added for color -- is that in the late 90s our bluegrass band would sometime trade its normal instruments (Martin dreads on lead and rhythm guitar, Gibson Mastertone, and Kay 3/4 bass) for a Gibson '23 GB-4 gitjo for lead, an all metal Dobro (set up Spanish style) for rhythm, a '23 Gibson RB-4 trapdoor banjo, and the dobrass above. We never recorded that version of the band's music -- if it was music -- so you had to be there.

I could not make this stuff up.

Here are the gitjo and the RB-4.

20b7s.jpg

Let's pick,

-Tom

The standup bass in the middle is a 1/4 Kay -- for environments where a 3/4 would overpower the room or the other instruments. Next to it on its left is the dobrass -- note it is an actual Dobro brand, so a true Gibson. It is for environments where the bass needs to sound sort of like a garbage can.

When you ask my wife why she has large, medium, and small basses she will tell you that you would not expect a mechanic to have only one tool in the tool box.

Let's pick,

-Tom

Thank God I wasn't drinking a cup of coffee when I read this. I would have spewed it all over my keyboard.

What exactly is the "environment where the bass needs to sound sort of like a garbage can"?

I guess you sort of had to be there, but it sounds like an occasion involving large quantities of alcohol.

Thank God I wasn't drinking a cup of coffee when I read this. I would have spewed it all over my keyboard.

What exactly is the "environment where the bass needs to sound sort of like a garbage can"?

Hmmmmmmmm, maybe as backup to the bagpipes for a neighbourly treat........ :mellow:

BluesKing777.

bassess.jpg

And the second one from the left, is that an original Les Paul bass?

Kay, Banchetti, Dobro, Kay, Ampeg. Guild, Fender

I guess you sort of had to be there, but it sounds like an occasion involving large quantities of alcohol.

Hi Nick,

You need to study the whole quote. The ALT BLUEGRASS band we invented had a metal Dobro on RHYTHM, a Gitjo (14" GB-4) on LEAD GUITAR and a 23 RB-4 as the banjo. 23 was the next to last year of the ball bearing tone ring, so it was not so loud as the Mastertones that soon replaced it, For once the banjo was not the loudest rawest instruments in the band.

I guess you are bass player, but I don't know if you are an acoustic bass player. This was an acoustic band that never played unplugged. That may sound weird. but here "plugged" refers to ear protection. Not only for volume of the loud raucous guitars, but because of the effect on sanity of actually having to hear the music. The Dobrass was perfect. [rolleyes]

Let's pick,

-Tom

Archived