Gibson Brands Forums

Any Laney amp users

the dog

Guest Farnsbarns

I'm thinking of getting an Laney amp for myself....

20 watts or less....

Is anyone using one and how is it?

Never heard anything good about Laney. I bought a cheap Laney bedroom amp for my nephew, years ago. It sounded at least twice as cheap as it was. That said, my experience is limited to one example of one model.

15 years ago when they first started flooding America with them again our only local dealer had them for a year and gave up on them. Every single part of them would break, just didn't know which one on yours would go first. I used a couple for different things we were doing back then, house amps. Awful.

rct

No. Please excuse me.

I can only speak from experience.

The current Laney VC combos are just as good as anything else for the money.

Our front man uses one and it sounds great every time and is totally reliable. I've checked it out and it's well built and a great little valve combo which punches above its weight - literally.

Some Laneys might be a little darker sounding but I've played clubs, functions...you know, just gigs....for 35 years in the UK, and as I remember they worked as well as anything else did.

In fact I have to say the same for the later valve Carlsboro guitar amps and HH too. They might not sound that great now but they worked night after night and did the job.

Happy Xmas to all!

Guest Farnsbarns

Never heard anything good about Laney. I bought a cheap Laney bedroom amp for my nephew, years ago. It sounded at least twice as cheap as it was. That said, my experience is limited to one example of one model.

I tell a lie, I had a Laney Linebacker for about a year when I had no money. It wasn't mine and I didn't like it but it wasn't "bad" so much as "not me". I'd forgotten all about it. No idea what they cost at the time so I still can't really make a judgement. If it was more than £300 in 2000 it was crap.

I've got a Cub 12R

I worked at a Laney dealer in the 80's and loved them........their high gain had a nice darker sound than most out there at that time.

I bought the Cub a couple years ago. I like the sound very much......that said, it is currently having issues......sound comes and goes.....doesn't totally die, but up and down.

Loved the old AOR stuff, and I really like the sound of the cub I've got, but it's currently not giving me a lot of confidence for the hours on it.

NHTom

I've got a Cub 12R

I worked at a Laney dealer in the 80's and loved them........their high gain had a nice darker sound than most out there at that time.

I bought the Cub a couple years ago. I like the sound very much......that said, it is currently having issues......sound comes and goes.....doesn't totally die, but up and down.

Loved the old AOR stuff, and I really like the sound of the cub I've got, but it's currently not giving me a lot of confidence for the hours on it.

NHTom

Thanks for that Tom.....

The VC-30 is the "poor man's AC-30" - only there is nothing poor about it. Superb amps, and the reverb is beautiful.

Only drawback - God, they're loud. And the VC-50 I had for a while was downright offensively loud.

If you want that early '60s British tone without spending Vox money, then buy a Laney. You honestly won't be disappointed.

But buy a tube one, and be sure to buy it in the 15 watt version, unless you are playing in decent-sized bars or what have you. VC-15, LC-15, etc - they are all good amps.

The VC-30 is the "poor man's AC-30" - only there is nothing poor about it. Superb amps, and the reverb is beautiful.

Only drawback - God, they're loud. And the VC-50 I had for a while was downright offensively loud.

If you want that early '60s British tone without spending Vox money, then buy a Laney. You honestly won't be disappointed.

But buy a tube one, and be sure to buy it in the 15 watt version, unless you are playing in decent-sized bars or what have you. VC-15, LC-15, etc - they are all good amps.

Here in America this is precisely what I've heard about them!

I got one free in a promotion with my UK Vintage brand V100PGM (Peter Green Burst Les Paul model) it is a small practice amp with a 6" speaker and it sounds great for a little SS amp!

I've done some considerable research on them on Youtube and they do appear to sound awesome and seem to have developed reputation for being the next best British amp and have a reputation for being a better quality amp than Blackstar from what I've seen...

I don't really use mine, but I've never had an issue with it. My daughter uses it more than I and she's never complained...

I have a Laney LC-30 bought 15 years ago, used it for both tours and studio work. It has been a great amp.

24A2A88D-FCFC-4EDF-9DC7-3A9A048DE0D8_zpsvfmcrrml.jpg

It sounds very much like a Vox with that Brittish sound. I use it mostly for blues rock style of music with gain at 5-6.

Listen to my playing here if you are curious:

//Robert

Robert thank you for that....good playing and good sound...

Has it been trouble free for 15 years? No repair shop time?

Right now I'm still on the fence.....I'm liking the Laney Lionheart L5T-112 and I'm also liking the Category 5 Tsunami....

Here in America this is precisely what I've heard about them!

I got one free in a promotion with my UK Vintage brand V100PGM (Peter Green Burst Les Paul model) it is a small practice amp with a 6" speaker and it sounds great for a little SS amp!

I've done some considerable research on them on Youtube and they do appear to sound awesome and seem to have developed reputation for being the next best British amp and have a reputation for being a better quality amp than Blackstar from what I've seen...

I don't really use mine, but I've never had an issue with it. My daughter uses it more than I and she's never complained...

I don't know about quality as I've never had a problem with my HT5RH, but the IRT kicks HT5 tone azz. Seriously. And that's @ 1W. I'll be trying out 15W today.

I'm really surprised at the clean channel. Everything I found online brushed by the clean channel and focused on gain. The clean channel is pretty darn sweet too.

I should have said that in my first post....my fault.....I only want a tube amp...No solid state....

1419776845[/url]' post='1607585']

Robert thank you for that....good playing and good sound...

Has it been trouble free for 15 years? No repair shop time?

Right now I'm still on the fence.....I'm liking the Laney Lionheart L5T-112 and I'm also liking the Category 5 Tsunami....

When it was brand new, there was an issue with a fuse blowing regularly, but the factory recommended a different type and I have had no problems after that.

I have heard of others who have been forced to change capacitors, but no need for that on mine yet.

//Robert

When it was brand new, there was an issue with a fuse blowing regularly, but the factory recommended a different type and I have had no problems after that.

I have heard of others who have been forced to change capacitors, but no need for that on mine yet.

//Robert

I have owned a VG 30 for several years...great amp. Never an issue, has PLENTY of punch for small/medium gigs. Reverb is quality, the clean is outstanding. The dirty side has lots of British grit. The amp loves to be pushed...which is a problem when playing small venues because you simply cant crank it to the point it sounds best because of being too loud.

I've never owned a Laney solid state so I can't comment on those..but I can give the VG 30 a true thumbs up. Sorry for a crappy pic but it's the only one I had.

post-49961-069538300 1419790525_thumb.jpg

If price isn't an issue, the Laney Lionheart amps sound amazing.......just quite a lot of money for that small of an amp.

The blue tolex looks awesome too.

NHTom

It is a lot....But the Category 5 that I'm looking too is much more....I said a long time ago "you only live once" at my age I owe it to myself....I had a harley davidson for 36 years....I easily put $30,000.00 into it and sold it one year ago for $6700.00.....I'm still trying to sell the left over parts...

The Category 5 has a birch cab instead of marine grade plywood and I talked to the owner three times over the holidays about his amp on the phone...Things like this are how I justify buying an amp of this quality....If my wife new she...I really don't know what she will do...She just doesn't understand....

Archived