Gibson Brands Forums

Wonky push/pull tone control on new LPS

Sailormannn

Hi there .. I have a 2013 Les Paul Standard that I purchased new in August. It was built January 2013. It has the push/pull volume and tone controls. One of the tone controls isn't working properly and I'm wondering if there is an easy fix or if I should send the guitar in for service.

Here's the problem:

I have always used the guitar with all the controls pushed in. I was playing around with the controls last night in different positions and noticed the Bridge Tone control when in the up = Pure Bypass position wasn't working. When I played with it and worked it a bit, it started to work. It is still occasionally not connecting when I switch to the Bypass position or is a bit scratchy, but exercising it a bit seems to have helped.

I was thinking of using some contact cleaner but can't see where to squirt into the pot as these are not your typical pots.

Any thoughts/advice .. much appreciated.

Guest Farnsbarns

Hi there .. I have a 2013 Les Paul Standard that I purchased new in August. It was built January 2013. It has the push/pull volume and tone controls. One of the tone controls isn't working properly and I'm wondering if there is an easy fix or if I should send the guitar in for service.

Here's the problem:

I have always used the guitar with all the controls pushed in. I was playing around with the controls last night in different positions and noticed the Bridge Tone control when in the up = Pure Bypass position wasn't working. When I played with it and worked it a bit, it started to work. It is still occasionally not connecting when I switch to the Bypass position or is a bit scratchy, but exercising it a bit seems to have helped.

I was thinking of using some contact cleaner but can't see where to squirt into the pot as these are not your typical pots.

Any thoughts/advice .. much appreciated.

Work some contact cleaner in there between the shaft and the bush. Pull the switch in and out a bit, it'll be fine.

Work some contact cleaner in there between the shaft and the bush. Pull the switch in and out a bit, it'll be fine.

Tried this and it helps. I'll keep working it and see if it clears it up. Guess the control must have been sitting in stock for a while or maybe it's just from lack of use. Pulling this control up and bypassing isn't a setting that I use a lot.

Would be interested if any others are having problems with this control?

Archived