Gibson Brands Forums

Help with model

BCPuma

Hoping some of you knowledgeable folks here can help ID this Les Paul. I was told it was 1993 Studio and it sounds like it may be hollow or lightened. If compared to my Standard Plus, it generates significant feedback when placed close to the amp. Serial #93147370 Made in USA stamp below SN. Photos are so so, it's all black and difficult to gt good shots.

Thanks in advance!

post-68976-000197000 1419280235_thumb.jpeg

post-68976-042845100 1419280252_thumb.jpeg

post-68976-012902300 1419280259_thumb.jpg

post-68976-036827300 1419280357_thumb.jpeg

Sure looks like a mid 90's DoubleCut Studio. I don't remember what the chambering was on them. The feedback is the pickups, not the body. They aren't potted on that one more than likely.

rct

Sure looks like a mid 90's DoubleCut Studio. I don't remember what the chambering was on them. The feedback is the pickups, not the body. They aren't potted on that one more than likely.

rct

Thanks RCT. That's what I was thinking when I purchased it. Just seemed like some of the photos from that period show the DC with 4 knobs and not the 2. Made me wonder if I had the year wrong year. Thanks again!

Thanks RCT. That's what I was thinking when I purchased it. Just seemed like some of the photos from that period show the DC with 4 knobs and not the 2. Made me wonder if I had the year wrong year. Thanks again!

There was a couple in that time, Studio, Standard, I think a Custom as well. The others had two piece bridges and 4 kn0bs, the studios had the new compensated stop bar.

rct

It's definitely a double cutaway studio by the looks of it and the serial number indicates 1997 (first and fifth digits are last two digits of year). If I had to guess I would say it has the "swiss cheese" holes drilled in it for weight relief because that was what I think they used on the regular single cuts of that era.

My wife probably should take my money away from me considering I'm spending it blindly. But I picked it up for $550 (with the assumption it was a real Gibson) and the sound was pretty unique compared to my Standard Plus or either of my Epiphones, one of which has Gibson 57's installed. Regardless, thanks cjsinla, 665 and RCT for enlightening me!

Merry Christmas / Happy Holidays

My wife probably should take my money away from me considering I'm spending it blindly. But I picked it up for $550 (with the assumption it was a real Gibson) and the sound was pretty unique compared to my Standard Plus or either of my Epiphones, one of which has Gibson 57's installed. Regardless, thanks cjsinla, 665 and RCT for enlightening me!

Merry Christmas / Happy Holidays

It is a real Gibson, a Gibson Les Paul Studio.

Archived