Gibson Brands Forums

Neil Young - In Concert 1971 BBC

Rabs

[thumbup]

Here's a favourite of mine Rabs - same deal, close your eyes for 3 minutes and listen to a man just sing and strum his guitar...

Yeah hes a one of a kind type... very unique...

You could easily mention him in the same breath as Hendrix, Zappa, Dylan, Lennon etc..... They just don't make many like that ;)

fumble...

I saw Neil in 1989 - 6th row centre [thumbup] .

Anyhow, he starts with the acoustic set and 'Needle' was like the second song. About 3 songs later he's tuning up between numbers and a guy yells out "play Needle and the damage done!" Neil looks up and goes "Needle and the...Where you been man?..in the parking lot?..." Brought the house down. [laugh]

Neil is one of my favourites too. I got a copy of that 1971 concert on DVD about 15 years ago before the whole internet thing took over. I wish there was more concert footage of Neil from the 1970's. I found a few good videos of him and Crazy Horse from 1975 & 1976 playing Zuma and American Stars and Bars tunes, but some of them vanished from YT over the last few years. Anyone here see his 1972 film Journey Through The Past all the way through? Now that is one weird film! I'd love to see the film 'Swing In With Neil Young' that was done around the Harvest album time for a foreign TV company as it looks great, but there are only snippets on the internet.

Also, a lot of people disliked his 80's material, but this unreleased 1993 MTV unplugged version of 1982's 'Sample and Hold' I came across a while ago and it is incredibly good. Shows that Trans was a good one, even though the critics and fans panned it!

Archived