Gibson Brands Forums

Why slag Gibson here?

skilsaw

Why do people bother to slag Gibson here?

If you have a problem with them, go somewhere else.

Don't waste time writing a novel about how you opened the box of your new Gibson Extraordinaire and found a spec of fly poop on the pick up. Poop happens. Get over it.

Now there are genuine issues with anything manufactured, and Gibson Guitars are no exception. Bringing up legitimate issues is a good thing. But do it without whining about the price, and quality control at Gibson USA. Gibson didn't put your name on a guitar as it came down the assembly line and deliberately mess it up just to bother you. It is incredibly arogant of you to think you are important enough for them to care.

Have yourself a very merry Christmas. And if there is a Gibson for you under the tree, don't bother telling me the wahzoo wanker is out of alignment. Get a Gibson tech at the brick and mortar shop where the guitar was purchased to fix it. That is what their customer support is all about.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree Skilsaw. Too many people moan about Gibson as well as many other manufacturers. I've been lucky to have no problems with any of my Gibsons. Some people will complain about the most minor things though as you say, i.e, having a tiny ding on the finish seems to make some people demand their money back. I don't envy people who work in complaints departments!

We love Gibsons or we wouldn't be here. We want Gibson to be great. But we all have opinions.

When a company makes changes to a product, people are going to complain. When bad product slips through QC, people are going to notice. Gibson is held to a higher standard because our expectations are higher (they set the bar), especially when their guitars come with a relatively high price tag. Fenders are easier to make, cost half as much, and their product line is smaller.

Why do people bother to slag Gibson here?

If you have a problem with them, go somewhere else.

Don't waste time writing a novel about how you opened the box of your new Gibson Extraordinaire and found a spec of fly poop on the pick up. Poop happens. Get over it.

Now there are genuine issues with anything manufactured, and Gibson Guitars are no exception. Bringing up legitimate issues is a good thing. But do it without whining about the price, and quality control at Gibson USA. Gibson didn't put your name on a guitar as it came down the assembly line and deliberately mess it up just to bother you. It is incredibly arrogant of you to think you are important enough for them to care.

Have yourself a very merry Christmas. And if there is a Gibson for you under the tree, don't bother telling me the wahzoo wanker is out of alignment. Get a Gibson tech at the brick and mortar shop where the guitar was purchased to fix it. That is what their customer support is all about.

I agree to a point.... If there is something bothering you about a new Gibson (from a authorized dealer) you just purchased, then certainly I agree keep it private.... Trust me the Gibson CS Team usually picks up the phone.

The one thing that bothers me is the same old public moaning from the same members about how they don't like the feature set on the 2015 line..... WE GET IT!!! :rolleyes:

It bothers me that Gibson has only one 12 string acoustic model to choose from, but I don't belly ache about it every time I see a 12-string thread... I just put my nose in the computer until I found a 12 string acoustic that I wanted.... there are so many Gibsons out there, it's really easy to find a killer Gibby that suits your style and at a good price

If Gibson is going to require dealers to purchase at a certain level, Gibson needs to give them something they can sell. The people complaining are only echoing what a lot of others are already thinking. Don't blame them for what might be a bad business decision on Gibson's part.

I agree whole-heartidly with you Duane. I can't understand *****ing about a certain feature or don't like about this or that. Don't like it, don't buy it. Simple. Or do what I do....change it once you own it. A lot of these new one's come with klusons. I personaly don't like them, so first thing I do is change them over for schaller lockers. I'm a child of the '70's so I obviously look for that particular sound everytime with my guitars. So another thing I do is change out the pups for either the alnico sisters or the ceramic sisters. Simple. Not rocket science.

However, Gibson themselves, are a very difficult company to deal with if you live outside the US. And that's just plain vexing, irritating, and frustrating for us. Let me walk you through a typical Gibson deal down here for instance ok. I have for about the last month been trying to see if they had any of the 12 string LP's left, and if so, I wanted one. Simple.So I called the shop here that's the official dealer and put it to them to organise this deal. Now after a fortnight of Gibson not replying to the shops request, they finally came back and said yes there is one available. I said, deal, let's do it. Now, when Gibson send guitars down here, they do so in bulk, and it doesn't go direct to the shop, it goes to a central point first, the importer/distributor (Melbourne). They come down in big sea containers. These containers after clearing customs, go to the distributor's warehouse. There they sit for anywhere up to 6 months. This is because Gibsons unit price is so high, it's not viable to order and send singularly direct to the shop. So the shops only order every six months (twice a year). So if they've just done their bulk ordering and a week later you walk in and order a guitar, it has to wait six months before the order goes in. And then it can wait up to another six months in the distributor's warehouse. 12 months until you recieve it! And you've already paid for it at the begining! And it's here!

So, you think, I'll play it smart here and go to the official Gibson website and order it that way, direct. Nope, forget it. Gibson will not deal direct with the customer outside the US because of the electronics in the instrument. Yup, your hearing right. Pups, pots, wiring etc are a no-no (?).

Last year they brought out the Flying V Traditional. I wanted one, so I contact a friend who works in Sweetwater Sales. I say, please put an order through for me. He said he'd love to but can't because Gibson have said they can only sell to buyers in the US only. There was a directive out stating that they will only go to the big seller shops like sweetwater, musicians friend ect because there was a better chance of moving a lot of them and quickly with them. So everyone else outside the US missed out.

This is good business? I don't think so. All it does is put us offside. Small wonder this company since conception has done, and nearly done so, gone under and had to be rescued every time. Poor business practices have made it what it is today. And that is, a pain in the rear for us guys here to deal with. You blokes in the US have it good compared to us. Still make a beautiful instrument, but......

Love the guitars, but hate the company.

small wonder......

I agree to a point.... If there is something bothering you about a new Gibson (from a authorized dealer) you just purchased, then certainly I agree keep it private.... Trust me the Gibson CS Team usually picks up the phone.

The one thing that bothers me is the same old public moaning from the same members about how they don't like the feature set on the 2015 line..... WE GET IT!!! :rolleyes:

It bothers me that Gibson has only one 12 string acoustic model to choose from, but I don't belly ache about it every time I see a 12-string thread... I just put my nose in the computer until I found a 12 string acoustic that I wanted.... there are so many Gibsons out there, it's really easy to find a killer Gibby that suits your style and at a good price

You can't please them all , they'll find something to grip about if Gibson gave them away

Well that was a lot to take in....lol.... and let's not forget that Nashville is only 10,000 miles away from Australia.... I'm sure there are some special requirements Gibson must adhere to when shipping instruments abroad.

Maybe I was raised by my parents all wrong, but I was told never to walk in someones house and start making fun of the furniture.... To me Marshall Paul it would be like if you were to invite me to your pad, and I told you I love the color of your house but hate all the people inside of it, you would think I was a complete sack of crap.... And have every right to.

Whether you want to believe this or not, there's a lot of pride that Gibson employees put behind these instruments, and I would dare to say over half of Gibson employees do actually play guitar.... So I think maybe try and remember that when you walk into Gibson's house, (because this is Gibson's house) remember we are all guests here.... And Gibson is a very proud company, and for me a true American icon / success story.

Don't get me wrong, I'm trying to understand where you're coming from, but I just don't get how your perception of Gibson ties into my Gibson experience .... Because it just doesn't

Honestly, I have complained yet 2 times I guess, one time about my Black Beauty finsih but Customer Service replaced it almost directly, so what can I say exceot that they have a real good customer service ;)

The second time was about a 2014 SG std, not about the guitar itself, but about the MinEtune I don't like, so I have sold the SG ... but I knwew it when I bought it and in the end, I regret it I should just have replaced the minEtune by Kluson :(

I have had so many guitars, so many brands, from expensive to cheap but in the end I always come back to Fender and Gibson so, of course they are not perfect, but what is / who is? Giby's and Fender's are working for me, so not sure I will ever look for something else.

but this is just my humble opinion :)

It's hard to argue a point when you so whole heartily agree with the person you'r supposed to be arguing with!

Don't get us wrong here, we don't hate the company per say. The average everyday bloke that works for the company is the same as us. We don't like the management, the decision makers. We love our instruments and are proud of them. And we are thankfull and proud of the people that actually make our instruments. It's hard to discuss a point such as this, in this manner, without them getting caught in the crossfire. Collateral damage as it were unfortunately. And I offer up here, faithfully, right now, my most sincere and humble appology to any Gibson factory worker who might have read and been upset by my previous post. I am truly sorry. That was never my intention.

We, outside the US, have a very real and hard time dealing with the management of this company. It seems at times as if we're almost discriminated against, and that's very hard to take. We sometimes get upset about this too because Gibson is an iconic company, and rightfully so when you consider it's rich history and what it has achieved to date.

As one of my band members so succinctly puts it, you don't have to be in the confidence of, and privvy to, the boardroom to understand where some of these decisions stem from. And we can. In my band alone (6 guy's and 3 ladies) we are and were (retired) holders of the office of professional, company directors, and company owners (and in the case of one of the ladies, sole owner of several companies...lol). So we're not just a bunch of dumb hicks down here. Our drummer alone is a current serving corporate lawyer on the board of directorship of three companies (and one of the best jazz/rock drummers I have ever heard!). It still doesn't stop me from trying to tell him he's only a dumb drummer though (lol), but I digress.

I'm not trying to and don't want to start any arguments here (really Duane...honestly lol), merely trying to put our point of view across, so you can see both sides of the coin as it were. I hope this sheds a little more light on what goes on in the bigger world of Gibson. I can't and don't speak for all counrties obviously, but I can for our corner down here.

And it's not all roses....

I think most people come here initially looking for advice - an answer to a question about their Gibson - rather than to complain.

One of the things that makes this place interesting to me is the wide variety of personalities. There are some folks on here who keep their Gibsons entombed in shrines of prayer and respect, afraid to even remove the stickers. There are others who have the tools out from day one, modifying and improving their Gibsons to suit their needs. Most folks fall somewhere in between of course.

Hearing the stories of all of you (complaints included) is what has kept me hanging around here. I showed up looking for information about the first Les Paul I had bought in about 10 years. Of course I was quickly informed that it was total crap... a chambered Classic that had the diabolical ceramic pickups and piss green inlays. Naturally I burned it in effigy immediately and purchased a top of the line Custom Shop reissue. That's what this place does to you. :rolleyes:

Maybe I was raised by my parents all wrong, but I was told never to walk in someones house and start making fun of the furniture....

Unless the furniture is for sale, this is a poor analogy. A better one would be if I was a customer in a store that only sold Gibson guitars, and the only choices I had were 2015 LP models. If I walked in with my friends, we might all debate the pros and cons of the choices we had, we might just turn around and walk out, we might complain to the manager, or we might actually buy something.

Guest Farnsbarns

If Gibson feel that this forum shouldn't be used by complainers, be it a faulty guitar or a model change they don't like, they should close it. They don't, that's partly because of the value of the UGC (user generated content) and partly because the alternative is the complaints go on other fora over which that have no control and a less birds eye view. Quite simple.

I do agree that the spamming of a forum is always bad maners , one thread about the 2015's is enough and bringing the point into every conversation is OTT, for example.

Like most things in life, it's about finding middle ground.

I don't think the 2015 are so bad, I think we can say it is our style or I don't need the Gforce, nor the zero-fret, or the wider neck, but I cannot imagine Gibson sells almost 3k guitars that are 'bad' sounding guitar.

They're trying to be innovative, and try new stuff, I think that apart from Searcy who is a kind of Dr Frankenstein with his Gibson, most of the people here are trying to find back the original Les Paul or SG, which sadly means (from a money point of view) R7, R8, R9 and R0 and SG VOS.

Come on modernity is not always bad, by exemple locking tuners, if Gary Moore dared to put it on Peter Green's Les Paul, I think it is ok for me to have locking tuners on my Giby's :)

The minEtune and the Gforce are really good for someone who owns only one guitar and that plays in different bands and style.

I don't need it, but the idea is good, the same for the weight how many times you can read in magazine that players switch from Les Paul because of the weight and back issue, so Gibson chambered the body, again it is a good idea.

The only bad point according me is the raise of prices.

I have a Custom Black beauty that I love, if I have to buy another Gibson I will keep my money longer and look for a VOS SG or 58 Les Paul, just because it is what I am looking for, simple guitar for a simple man :)

Why "Slag" Gibson's here? Because Gibson wants/needs the feedback! That's one main reason their IS a Gibson Forum!

Do members go overboard, and get petty, with their criticisms? Of course, just like some tend to go overboard

with their praise. People are people. :rolleyes:[tongue] But, the forum is a microcosm of their customer base, as well.

So, our opinions, criticisms, and praises, are just as valid, and useful, as anyone's. Do we shape what Gibson will do?

I doubt it, to any large degree, but we may have some "input" into what's working, and what may need to be addressed.

Just like any consumer. As much as I criticize their foibles, I also enthusiastically heap my praises, on what (I feel) they

get right! And, in my own case, that's a lot more often, than any criticism.

IMHO, as always. Other's will, no doubt, differ. [biggrin]

CB

Unless the furniture is for sale, this is a poor analogy. A better one would be if I was a customer in a store that only sold Gibson guitars, and the only choices I had were 2015 LP models. If I walked in with my friends, we might all debate the pros and cons of the choices we had, we might just turn around and walk out, we might complain to the manager, or we might actually buy something.

lol..... Me and my musician pals don't shop that way.... We already know what we want and don't really need a store manager to talk to...... Now maybe if I was 16 and I went to the music store with my mom, no doubt she would be ringing manager bell [blush] .... And I would be embarrassed as all hades.

Archived