Gibson Brands Forums

"NOS" pickguard

codyyy

I'm not sure if this goes in here or under the restoration section. I recently bought a pickguard that is supposedly NOS for a 60s SG Custom. I have not received it yet but the pictures look to be the right one. I am wondering if Gibson would have made these pickguards without beveling the edges and perhaps wrapping them with a masking tape. The holes are drilled and the pickup holes are routed, however the seller says the pickguard is not beveled like original. I can always bevel it so that is not a problem. Could it be a factory replacement part? Thanks.

I will post pics when I get it. The Postal Service missorted it so now it will take a long time to get it. I didn't pay a ton of money for it but I want the right pickguard on it. I could have a new one made for it but I'm afraid it won't blend well with the old hardware.

QUOTE I'll check with the guy restoring my guitar to be sure about this pickguard.

Yeah, sounds like a plan! I am a little too far removed from your situation to make any kind of significant contribution on this.

I called Gibson's restoration and repair department, who e-mailed back and referred me to a historian locally there. The guy said that he highly doubts it is authentic so I will treat it as such. I'll probably have it finished and use it anyway. I may have a new pickguard made for it but I don't know how it will look with the original hardware.

Archived