Gibson Brands Forums

1980 Les Paul Deluxe Questions

Bobby13

Hey everyone,

I've acquired an '80 Les Paul Deluxe that has had a rough life. Some previous owner decided to strip half of it and paint it with what seemed like tremclad paint or some other common house paint. There was a mixed bag of components that were original to the guitar. I'm taking on the project from bare bones wood body and neck and looking to restore this classic.

I'd appreciate any and all feedback, advice or comments as I go through this project. I'll be looking for where I could buy original parts, components, etc.. In addition, I can use some advice as it pertains to finish and prep. I do have a fair amount of woodwork and finish experience so I'm not totally new......

Cheers :)

Hey Bobby, welcome to the forum. I (we) love these types of projects. There are many knowledgeable contributors here.

First of all, post a few pics of the guitar in the condition its in now and tell us what you know about the originality of the pickups/electronics etc.

Tell us what type of refinish that you will be going for.....

I had an 1980 Standard that I brought back to life a couple of years ago. Very worthy project [thumbup]

That's cool. I'd like some pics of yours as well. I'll need to figure out how to post pictures on here.

It's an interesting story. I picked it up at a thrift shop for $60. It was painted in the worst way and looked real rough. It only had 5 tuners, one pup was still installed (P90) all knobs, pots and switch still there. I threw $60 down and ran like hell.

My goal is to use all original 1980 parts and components, if possible. I'm pretty sure I'm going with P90's but haven't closed the door on mini humbuckers just yet. As for finish, the original paint was black. So I'm not sure whether or not to do the original color. I really like the Pelham Blue's though....so I'm not closing the door on that one. I'm still open for suggestions on finish.

So any tips on finish and anything else are always appreciated.

My goal is to use all original 1980 parts and components, ...

As the "originality" of the guitar can never be "restored", I would HIGHLY recommend using "period correct" NEW parts. Why deal with overpriced brittle faded plastics and tarnished corroded hardware.

I agree totally that any "collectors" value has been diminished. It came with the original P90's and all electronics. It also has 5 tuners and only the tailpiece as well all the knobs are intact. Bridge is missing but the inserts and screw plates are there. I haven't tested the pups yet but maybe they work. Otherwise I was thinking about Duncan Antiquity P90's. I'm sure it makes sense to put new pots and switch into it.

Any recommendations as to where I could source some period correct pieces?

I agree totally that any "collectors" value has been diminished. It came with the original P90's and all electronics. It also has 5 tuners and only the tailpiece as well all the knobs are intact. Bridge is missing but the inserts and screw plates are there. I haven't tested the pups yet but maybe they work. Otherwise I was thinking about Duncan Antiquity P90's. I'm sure it makes sense to put new pots and switch into it.

Any recommendations as to where I could source some period correct pieces?

If the original pup works, you might use it for "tone" purposes. You might find it sounds great. Maybe better than a new one, maybe not.

I think what L5LARRY meant by "period correct" wasn't necessarily exact reproductions, but rather the appropriate new ones that will fit without new holes or more work. You can find these anywhere.

The only "options" I can think of would be the tuners and the bridge. The bridge will be determined by what post are in the wood for it. I'm guessing it was a Nashville bridge.

If the electronics work, there is no reason or need to replace them. It wouldn't hurt to take them out and put them back in again once you are done.

That looks sweet! I'm still undecided as to what finiah to go with....I really like the Pelham blue and I've seen a picture of a Pelham Blue type stain/wash. The original paint was the Gloss Black and the Goldtop is always cool. But as for staying with an original color....I'm not sold.

I've tested the original pups and only one is good. So that means new ones....lol....I've sourced original '76 P90's but I'm thinking about some Duncan Antiquity's.

I'll post a couple more pics here but when I stripped the garbage paint, a previous owner had already stripped the original finish from all but the front and back of the headstock. I was going to leave that as the only original part of the guitar but I decided to clean the back of the headstock and go with a clearcoat over the entire reverse of the neck and head for a nice maple look. I'm thinking the same for the back and sides of the body.

I'm looking for a good nitro clear laquer if that's possible. Any suggestions?

Paint color is a tough call.

Personally, I kinda like the look of the maple neck on these, and I always thought they did good things to either the natural finish with a gold top, or the sunburst shading they used to do to those on the neck as well as the top.

On the other hand, since it is a total refin, it's seems an opportunity to do an uncommon color.

I've seem some "custom colors" that I don't think work. I might consider the way the colors go with each other...like, for instance, if you keep the P-90's, what might go well with the pup covers. They shade of the binding, etc.

No no Bobby! No stripping of this guitar. THAT is the original finish.....it was just buried under a ton of grunge. I doubt that I have EVER seen a guitar that dirty.

I am simply showing what a part restoration can do for a guitar. As L5Larry suggests.....there is no need to seek out 80's parts. Just find the correct modern replacements. I suggest that you find a picture of the Les Paul Deluxe that you want yours to look like and proceed from there. The finish work will be your biggest challenge.

There is a guitar finish supplier and forum called ReRanch that has all the materials and info that you need. Maybe more! Check them out!

I like Pelham Blue, but only on a SG style guitar. I have seen some Deluxes with a nice wine red finish....

I think that I would remove the black from the backside of the headstock.....unless you want to make it a 'stinger'.

Thanks for all the great info. Officially sticking with P90's.....probably SD Antiquity's. I think I've got it figure out, so please correct me if I'm wrong here;

It's sanded and ready to go.

Apply a grain filler on the sides and back of the body. Smooth it out with a high grit sandpaper.

Apply a stain finish to the body front.

Apply a nitrocellulose clear laquer finish to the entire guitar. Apply numerous coats and wet sand in between coats. I'm just not sure at what point to wet sand and also apply next clear coat.

Following the clear coating process I then use a rubbing compound followed by a wax polish

???????? Am I missing anything???

I want to have that high gloss finish all over the guitar.

Thanks for all the great info. Officially sticking with P90's.....probably SD Antiquity's. I think I've got it figure out, so please correct me if I'm wrong here;

It's sanded and ready to go.

Apply a grain filler on the sides and back of the body. Smooth it out with a high grit sandpaper.

Apply a stain finish to the body front.

Apply a nitrocellulose clear laquer finish to the entire guitar. Apply numerous coats and wet sand in between coats. I'm just not sure at what point to wet sand and also apply next clear coat.

Following the clear coating process I then use a rubbing compound followed by a wax polish

???????? Am I missing anything???

I want to have that high gloss finish all over the guitar.

If you do sand between coats, go light as it does not have to be completely smooth until the final coat. I used stuff from ReRanch for a few projects but I cannot remember how many coats I did before the final sanding. More than 5? Less than 10?

16166917821_e09cdfcac9.jpg

• 1 month later...

Archived