Gibson Brands Forums

P90s in an SG special... Your thoughts

turtle

I think, you've answered your own question! P-90's (maybe P-94's, to avoid any new routing, or plugging)! [thumbup]

There really IS just "something" about that fat, round, single coil growl, and twang, that's just "delicious!" [biggrin]

Go for it!

CB

dang ..I was going to say all this too...oh well, what he said.

Yea, they said it. I'll say it too.

If you ARE a P-90 guy, it's gotta be P-90's.

Not P-94. P-90. Did you say you are a P-94 guy? No. You said a P-90 guy. Is a P-94 a P-90? No.

And another thing: A "Special" SHOULD be P-90's by definition. Or else it isn't a SG Special, it's an SG. At the most, it would be a "Special with humbuckers".

You didn't come this far to substitute did you?

Well, the only advantage of P-94's, is that they "drop in," Humbucker cavities, and rings,

without any modifications, to the body! P-90's will require some alterations, of some

kind. IF your SG has a "batwing" pickguard, then you just need to replace that, with

one cut out for "Soap bar" P-90's, providing the cavities in the wood line up well enough,

so you don't have to alter those. But, even if you did, the Bat Wing pickguard would hide

those possible body pickup cavity alterations. IF you have one, with a small pickguard,

and the "rings" that go around the Humbuckers, you're going to have to either use the P-94's,

OR do some drilling and screw hole plugging, (from the prior pickup rings) for either Soap Bar,

or Dog ear P-90's.

Good Luck, whatever you decide to do! [biggrin]

CB

P-90s of some type? Yes! My main guitar is an SG Classic and the tone is delicious.

They make a lot of humbucker sized P-90s that sound great. I have a P-94 in the neck of one of my SGs and it sounds great. Its tone is about 2/3s P-90 and 1/3 Jazzmaster pickup. I bet the bridge version sounds closer to that Gibson P-90 bite. If you want to know what a P-94 sounds like check out the Epiphone signature Nick Valensi model.

You guys rock!! Thank you!! I think either way of sized pups- what you guys are telling me, is the way to go. My issue now is it is a full sized pick guard with the pickups mounting to the guard. Does anyone know if the routes underneath will accept the true p90s? And do they make the big pick guard SG style with p90 holes. I'm so excited to go there if I can!! Have to do some research now. I have a les paul with p90's and love it. The 490's it came with sound great, but I've been gearing more towards single coils these past years.

You guys rock!! Thank you!! I think either way of sized pups- what you guys are telling me, is the way to go. My issue now is it is a full sized pick guard with the pickups mounting to the guard. Does anyone know if the routes underneath will accept the true p90s? And do they make the big pick guard SG style with p90 holes. I'm so excited to go there if I can!! Have to do some research now. I have a les paul with p90's and love it. The 490's it came with sound great, but I've been gearing more towards single could these past years.

Soap bar P-90's, which are most often seen on Gibson SG Specials, have a different mounting, and the

larger holes for the Humbucker's won't work. What you can get, however, is a replacement "batwing"

pickguard, that's cut for the soap bar P-90's. BUT, the SD P-90's made for a Full Sized Humbucker

mount, would work just fine! They're designed as such. You could even get a custom made pickguard,

that would allow for both a Soap Bar P-90, and a Humbucker, as well. LOTS of possibilities! [thumbup]

CB

The routes for the humbucker and for the P-90 are not compatible. The humbucker, obviously, is wider top to bottom, but also, the P-90 is wider side to side. It's a bit longer.

So...unless you want to look at a hacked hole, it would have to have a "batwing" guard. If it does NOT have a batwing guard and it has the small one, don't just assume you can put a batwing on it. If it fits, great, but make sure it fits first. There are some different shapes of SG's out there.

They make SG batwing gaurds for both humbuckers and P-90's. Not hard to get.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived